my biggest metal detecting fear....

B

boojagirl

is that when I am looking around my back yard the dector will beep and I will be digging and get zapped from hitting an underground power line so I would like to know, do underground powerlines get picked up on detectors? What other things do I have to be careful for? There are a few places that beeped that I was too afraid to check.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I know that someone smarter than I will reply with a better explaination...

but, those lines are buried deeper than you'r going to dig.

Also - I'm sure the power/phone company will come mark all the lines for you if requested.

I'm sure you need not fear!

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Power and utility lines are covered with a thick coating/cover and using a digging trowel isn't going to cut through one easily, and the way I check is see how long the line is...go side to side with your detector as its beeping and if it detects the same as you are going forward for a few feet....then I'd be careful

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Power and utility lines are covered with a thick coating/cover and using a digging trowel isn't going to cut through one easily, and the way I check is see how long the line is...go side to side with your detector as its beeping and if it detects the same as you are going forward for a few feet....then I'd be careful
It is easy to see which way the line is running by the method above. Mostly the detector may not operate well to close to the power line.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya'll haven't seen the size of holes I dug in my back yard..heehee ;D

Really, I dug one almost 3ft before I gave up and instead of filling it in I put a tree in it only problem was it was in the middle of the path we walk. It didn't last long kids kept running it over.

Kinda on the same note I was detecting an old house and pulling up nickles and dimes and just going my merry little way around the house, well I dug down and ended up uncovering the water line, I looked up and sure enough there was the sprout right in front of myself. Anyone else done this?

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
Working for one of the major Telcos, I know for a fact that some of the buried phone wires at least can be only a few inches down; and one of the better MD diggers will go through them in one stroke. I firmly recommend using the method above, using the detector to see how long the signal continues in a line.
Also a few years ago, I almost got cooked, because someone used phone grade copper to run power to a pool filter. This was only about 6 inches deep, and a fencing contractor hit both it, and the phone wire. I'm kneeling in wet grass reaching down with my pliers, and as I pulled the wire up, it flashed and burned the tip off the pliers. I was thankful they were insulated, but I was tasting copper in my mouth for about 5 minutes afterwards. I guess they ID'd the wrong wire :o .
Anyway, it is better to be safe than sorry. If you do get a long continuous signal, try to trace it to a source.... Just follow the beeps Bodyguard

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I agree.....follow the beep and see where it gose.If it is a line... the beep should follow that line.By sweeping your coil over your target to get a feel as to how big or small the target is. you will get an idea as to what it might be. I will not dig if it beeps over two feet.Unless I'm relic hunting.

Hope that helps.

RD

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
I might have to check this out again but I was detecting in a park that had lights on metal poles and if I happend to cross a electric wire running to the light my whites xlt would show me a symbol that looked like an lightning bolt warning me of such a hazard. Anyone else ever see this?
Bandit

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Power lines and water lines should be deep enough that you do not have to worry...
but dish lines,phone lines,or cable lines can be found easily.
Most large power lines and water lines are over 3' deep.
Still pays to be carefull!!!!!!!

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
txkickergirl said:
ya'll haven't seen the size of holes I dug in my back yard..heehee ;D

Really, I dug one almost 3ft before I gave up and instead of filling it in I put a tree in it only problem was it was in the middle of the path we walk. It didn't last long kids kept running it over.

Kinda on the same note I was detecting an old house and pulling up nickles and dimes and just going my merry little way around the house, well I dug down and ended up uncovering the water line, I looked up and sure enough there was the sprout right in front of myself. Anyone else done this?

Have you traded in your trowel in for a backhoe..lmao..jk
I do know how it feels to get a signal and having to dig endlessly to get to the prize,many times I'd get a signal saying 4 in. start digging and surpass the 4 inch zone now the hole is a foot deep..to only find a 1980 penny..wooooohhhoooooo.My addiction will NOT ALLOW ME TO GIVE UP

I love this hobby

~Shawn~

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is an addiction, I use to walk by pennies on the ground because I was to lazy to pick them up, now I dig them up and am thrilled with my finds.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
My power lines are insulated wires in PVC (the electric company installed it). It is at least 2' underground, my telephone lines, cable TV lines also go through the same piece of PVC pipe.

Whenever I detect a new yard I always make a mental note where the power service enters the property - above ground or below ground, then I locate the telephone box and the box on the house. If I see no power lines, then I know I have underground lines...I look at the connections on the pole, if they are connected the it is energized. This also helps me when I get strange signals, I look where the connection points from alley to house are and if I'm within 5' of that direct line then I know it's in the area.

Canadian Cossack

Dec 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'd never really considered electrical wires as a hazard until I pryed this out of the ground...

It probably wasn't live. Most likley just a piece of scrap that had been buried, but I wasn't going to find out the hard way so I just carefully re-buried it and moved s distance away...

I guess we allways gotta be careful, who knows what's lurking under the grass!

Attachments

• IMG_1148_1.JPG
    IMG_1148_1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,346

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
About 20 years ago I was helping my dad dig post holes for the new deck that we were building. My dad turned his head and was talking--and I got a little deep. As I dropped the post hole digger down for "one more", we heard a loud "pop!" and saw smoke pour out of the hole.

I had hit the power line. It was at least 4 feet deep. Good for me it was a wooden handled post hole digger. We stopped right there and the power company came out and fixed the line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions