What's new

Let's see your favorite arrowhead

RedRiver

Greenie
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2-LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't show the most expensive or rare one. Just your favorite. I like the working man and hunters points so I'm showing an old Montell that's been used and sharpened for all it's worth. 1557454504148668918982564331442.webp15574547508316238257364177971300.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK. If I may be allowed I have three favorites. Two were personal finds and one was a gift from my son. The first one is from my son who lives in Arizona. The red Savannah River I found a few years ago. It was in a deer track. I was told its red color from being heat treated. And the third I found the same day. I think it is a well used Savannah River that may have become a drill.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0038.webp
    DSC_0038.webp
    405.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0041.webp
    DSC_0041.webp
    638.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0042.webp
    DSC_0042.webp
    628 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OK. If I may be allowed I have three favorites. Two were personal finds and one was a gift from my son. The first one is from my son who lives in Arizona. The red Savannah River I found a few years ago. It was in a deer track. I was told it it its red color from being heat treated. And the third I found the same day. I think it is a well used Savannah River that may have become a drill.

That red Savannah river is sweet is that jasper ?
 
That red Savannah river is sweet is that jasper ?

I was told it is just flint that has been heat treated which caused it to turn red. How do I tell if that is the case or could it be jasper
 
Last edited:
This one is my favorite, the flaking is superb. I found this in January of this year. I am pretty confident its a paleo point. the type is unknown but its a killer in my opinion.
 

Attachments

  • 2019.01.05 - Paleo 4.webp
    2019.01.05 - Paleo 4.webp
    298.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2019.01.05 - Paleo Point.webp
    2019.01.05 - Paleo Point.webp
    211.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 2019.01.05 - Paleo Smoker 2.webp
    2019.01.05 - Paleo Smoker 2.webp
    193 KB · Views: 85
Very little difference between Flint,Chert and Jasper. They are all a type of microcrystalline Quartz, usually an opaque veriety. Although very similar you can read for hours about the technical differences. Its usually a regional thing or just the name given to a certain veriety by a geologist or local collectors. Your example does look like what most folk's would call Japer, it does turn red when heat treated but it also outcrops in red as well. The even coloring in your piece makes me think its naturally red, not heat treated.
 
This one is my favorite, the flaking is superb. I found this in January of this year. I am pretty confident its a paleo point. the type is unknown but its a killer in my opinion.

Real nice Hell Gap I think ?
 
That is awesome!
 
I have a new favorite for this rainy day here in VA
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0511 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_0511 (1024x681).webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0015 (1024x780).webp
    DSCF0015 (1024x780).webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 394
Real nice Hell Gap I think ?

You may be on to something. I thought Hell Gap points were bigger but have been reading more about them and it seems to fit the bill at least if nothing else closer than anything else that I could find to match the style. Thanks!!!
 
I know I already replied but forgot to add the in situ :) plus I think its finally been ID thanks to SOUTHFORK
 

Attachments

  • in situ paleo 3.webp
    in situ paleo 3.webp
    94.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Paleo pick up 2.webp
    Paleo pick up 2.webp
    86.7 KB · Views: 88
The flaking is wonderful!!!!
I thought it could be some variant of Hell Gap too.
But, for crying out loud, are ya gonna flip it over or not?
Waiting patiently.
 
Very little difference between Flint,Chert and Jasper. They are all a type of microcrystalline Quartz, usually an opaque veriety. Although very similar you can read for hours about the technical differences. Its usually a regional thing or just the name given to a certain veriety by a geologist or local collectors. Your example does look like what most folk's would call Japer, it does turn red when heat treated but it also outcrops in red as well. The even coloring in your piece makes me think its naturally red, not heat treated.

Thanks for the information.I read a little about this but I am, by no means, an authority on the subject. This point came from south west Georgia and looking at some websites it appears to be possible that Jasper could show up here.
 
The flaking is wonderful!!!!
I thought it could be some variant of Hell Gap too.
But, for crying out loud, are ya gonna flip it over or not?
Waiting patiently.

Thank you! ha ha I just looked through my phone and shockingly no pictures of the other side. here is the find video. when I get home tonight I ll take pictures of the other side

 
I like it!
I don’t know Montana Points, but I’ll take a stab at it: SAMANTHA-DART?



I would say it more represents a Glendo point, that is both a true arrow point and could also be a late dart point.
 
I like them all, from the least of the scrapers to the finest point to the hand tools. Here are a few of my best points.....

20190514_110024.webp20190514_110248.webp


Good Luck to all on their quest!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom