Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't been out much this summer other than a couple of excursions to the beach. I'm not really a beach hunter as I really like finding old coins. Pulled out a nice one yesterday, my first half cent and it's from 1795-1797. Haven't gotten a date off it yet and I'm not sure I ever will, but early half cents are a nice find. Another piece off the bucket list. I also picked up a large cent and a few buttons including a neat early postal button. One of the rings is 14k and the other stuff in the pic is silver. I liked the Saint Christopher medal as it's the first one I've seen that isn't oval or round. I also picked up some Indians, Barber dimes, Mercs etc, but nothing special. We've had a really hot and really dry summer around here. We're on 58 days in a row above 80 degrees and I think we tripled our 90 degree days over last year. At the same time we haven't had much rain. I don't do parks when the soil is really dry because even if you make a fairly neat hole (hard to do when dry) the grass ends up dying shortly thereafter.

I should mention, the large cent, half cent and buckle came as a result of studying early maps. If you're in an old area and not using old maps you're missing out. I've added a map I used.

half cent obv crop.jpg half cent rev crop.jpg

large cent obv.jpg large cent rev.jpg

20150906_085426.jpg

20150906_085507 buttons.jpg

20150905_120300 buckle.jpg

map of finds.jpg

Upvote 17
OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don, Liberty Caps have always been my favorite find, even over my beloved NJ coppers. Well, it does appear to be a no pole one, but it looks by the die crack running from around A in STATES down into the Wreath area, thus the reverse to be a match for the 1795 Cohen 5a variety. 1795 Half Cent - Cohen 5a. I know I got excited on two of my Liberty Caps, both with no pole but they turned out to be 6a variety for the 1795. Weight of both of mine was 80 grains, just below the mint weight of 84 grains. Don

Holy crap you're right Don. It's a 1795 Cohen 5a. Die break was the clincher. Didn't even realize it was a die break until your note. Thanks a bunch. Now all I have to do is find a 7-E or 8-F NY : )

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The half cent is sweet Don. If you're gonna find one it mat as well be a liberty cap. :laughing7: I'd love to pull one of those out of the dirt. Congrats brother! :occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible bunch of finds

Top Member Reactions