What's new

Liberty Head Nickels (and Buffaloes)

kestrelia

Hero Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
587
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Last night while searching 4,680 nickels I found my 2nd Liberty Head nickel (1904). I've searched 196,430 nickels and have come across 2 Liberty Heads and 30 Buffaloes. It got me wondering who else has found Liberty Head nickels on this board and in what quantity vs. nickels searched? What about Buffaloes for that matter? I've read about other types of hoards being found here, but never about any Buffalo hoards.
 
Upvote 0
kestrelia said:
Last night while searching 4,680 nickels I found my 2nd Liberty Head nickel (1904). I've searched 196,430 nickels and have come across 2 Liberty Heads and 30 Buffaloes. It got me wondering who else has found Liberty Head nickels on this board and in what quantity vs. nickels searched? What about Buffaloes for that matter? I've read about other types of hoards being found here, but never about any Buffalo hoards.

I don't there are any buffalo herds or hoards. But that's just me. 8)
 
The only time I ever searched nickels it was from a $200 coin machine bag. There was a V nickel in the bunch - a few pre 1960's and 1 war nickel.
 
I've never sat down and searched, but I did get an '04 V back in change one day.
 
I've searched Vegas slot machines and boxes of nickels from the bank for over 20 years and found three Liberty nickels (1899, 1906, 1912) and over 100 buffalos.
 
Over the past year and a half, maybe 30+ boxes found 3 V nickels and maybe 12 Buffalos. Of the 12 maybe 5 with dates. Also, found about 42 Silver War nickels and one 1977 proof. I think 2 1938 D jefferson nickels as well. Not great, but a nice change from halves.
 
I have searched only 4 boxes and have found one delaminated nickel, 2 wars, and 1 buff and one V 1899
Been too busy pulling out thousands of dollars worth of silver to worry about the nickels. just when I cant get halves for the weekend

Each box of dimes I have searched has turned up at least one silver. found 2 in one roll, but that was in the whole box once.
 
kestrelia said:
Last night while searching 4,680 nickels I found my 2nd Liberty Head nickel (1904). I've searched 196,430 nickels and have come across 2 Liberty Heads and 30 Buffaloes. It got me wondering who else has found Liberty Head nickels on this board and in what quantity vs. nickels searched? What about Buffaloes for that matter?

This year:
277, 580 nickels searched
1 V-nickel
14 Buffalo nickels (10 with dates) (averages to approximately 1 every 10 boxes)
206 War nickels (granted 100 came from 1 box)

Last year:
2 V nickels.
19 Buffalo nickels
67 War Nickels
But I didn't search as many nickels last year.

kestrelia said:
I've read about other types of hoards being found here, but never about any Buffalo hoards.

I've read about one or two small ones on here, but I think that was either early in the year or maybe last year. One I believe was two rolls with like 15-20 buffaloes in each of them or something like that. I can't remember exactly.


In my opinion the reason you don't hear about them is that only a few of people on here search nickels frequently. Most seem to be primarily looking for either silver (dimes / halves / and an occasional quarter) or copper (wheaties).
 
I've found one V-nickel and about 10 buffies. I don't know how much I searched to find them, but it was a lot. The war nix are my favorites.

What a thrill and a surprise it is to find a Liberty Head nickel! I have rarely been that excited CRHing.
 
fiatboy,

I agree you. Both times I found them I did a double take ... a bit like the Indian Heads that I've found ... "holy ?!#$, is that a ... yes!"

Found my first Walking Liberty yesterday. That was quiet a thrill. In one week I've found an Indian Head, a Liberty Head and a Walking Liberty!

Does this mean next week is skunk city?!
 
I do nickels fairly frequently, I have been since high school when I started my Jefferson collection. Now i only need a 39D. Last year, I found 2 V's, a 1902 and a 1912D. That was out of roughly 200,000 nickels.

This year I have no Vs, but I have 8 Buffaloes. I calculate the odds of finding each, rather than a 'keeper rate'. the odds of finding a Buffalo for me is about 1 in 13,000 nickels. The odds of a war nickel are about 1 in 1950.

I got my first half dime yesterday...but it was Canadian, a 1918. Also, I do keep Canadian nickels I find, and have quite a bit of the older ones.

As far as hoards go, I did find 10 rolls of customer-deposited nickels which were all 1964 and prior. Those ten rolls had 2 buffaloes in them. Nothing else to report on the nicks.
 
Out of 3 or 4 boxes 2 war nicks, 2 buffs, and enough to fill the whitmans books from 58 on up to today, except a stinking 1968....All I need is a 68, and cant seem to find it........I love doing the nickels tho, even more than the pennys....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom