Light DIY stand for the puddle jumper. (2.5" dredge video)

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Light DIY stand for the puddle jumper. (2.5" dredge video)

Running the little 2.5" dredge the other day and took some video. Thing that surprises me about this little setup with the P90 is the fact it still has decent suction even after 100' of lay flat hose. With only 20' of pressure hose it sucks harder than my 4" dredge, if your just long arming with a suction nozzle and trying to save weight though this will do it.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Light DIY stand for the puddle jumper. (2.5" dredge video)

Looks like a good set-up. Thanks for
sharing the video. Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hey Gold Nugget, glad you enjoyed the clip. As you could tell I had some problems getting the GoPro camera on target since I kind of had to guess at it with it strapped to my forehead. It takes decent movies for the price but has no on camera playback or view finder. I'm thinking of attaching a laser pointer to it somehow. As far as the videos go I'm still learning the Pinnacle editing software. The interface is simple enough but if you don't wait a few seconds for titles, transitions, etc to render, the video gets corrupted and kind of stalls out.

The suction was good enough to cause a few rock jams at the bend of the suction nozzle. So yes it will pull good enough to sneak a 2.5" rock (in some dimension) past your hands if you're not careful. Mostly because I hadn't run it in a while and working blind doesn't help. I hate to say it but the reducer on this 2.5" suction nozzle needs to be just a bit smaller or the bend a little different. I'm used to the Proline nozzle on my 4" dredge. It has a 3/8" reducer so the effective diameter is only about 3 1/4" its also a power jet instead of a suction nozzle. State guidelines probably vary but it would be nice if all stated nozzle sizes were exactly that and ran the next size bigger hose or better yet 1/2" hose increments up to say 8".

Another thing about the two different nozzles/jets. IME the suction nozzle makes better suction at the nozzle and lets your material stratify through the entire length of hose while not disturbing the slurry as it enters the flair for better recovery. That being said the power jet makes for better flow through the box likely allowing you to run the box flatter for better recovery (in that regard anyway). Then there is always the shallow water factor and issues with losing prime, sucking air and blasting the box with the power jet. A mid jet could be the answer but I haven't tried one yet.

The 2.5 is a good little dredge. I have never floated it, just run it from the stand. One thing it could use in the stand configuration is some kind of support for the flare. There is a fine line between running the flair too flat and too steep. Too flat tends to scour the drop off v-mat a little at the head of the sluice. Too steep and the flair seems to lose rigidity with the weight of the slurry and sags to a steeper angle than you intended. Some of these issues might be caused by running a P90 instead of the P100. Like I said though running this setup with 20' of pressure hose makes for almost too much suction for such a small nozzle IMO anyway.

Also its nice to have a valve for the pressure line right at the suction nozzle. It only has 2 positions as far as I'm concerned full on or off. Makes clearing jams easier.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You got a nice set-up there SandF, and your last comment about the
jams is why I asked about the suction. Would like to see the operation
sometime...Thanks for answering my question. GL
Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Something else I didn't mention about the suction is when working shallow pools, the more suction you have, the more likely it will create a whirlpool sucking air into the slurry which even on a suction nozzle is probably not a good thing. I'm putting together a bigger system right now, once I get that dialed in I'll let you know and we can do some mining since you appear to be local.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll be looking forward to that for sure. I'll
send you a PM with some contact info.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

specksandflecks said:
Something else I didn't mention about the suction is when working shallow pools, the more suction you have, the more likely it will create a whirlpool sucking air into the slurry which even on a suction nozzle is probably not a good thing. I'm putting together a bigger system right now, once I get that dialed in I'll let you know and we can do some mining since you appear to be local.

Wow! that motor sure seems quiet. The video cam really produces a clearly focused image too. :icon_thumleft:
Just wondering...... wouldn't slowing the pump motor down solve the oversuction problem when using a short hose?

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoodyGuy said:
specksandflecks said:

Wow! that motor sure seems quiet. The video cam really produces a clearly focused image too. :icon_thumleft:
Just wondering...... wouldn't slowing the pump motor down solve the oversuction problem when using a short hose?
Yeah the GoPro does ok, as long as the shot is close and there isnt much movement, its no wonder they use those little things all over the place on Discovery channel. Kind of surprising that little thing can shoot a couple hours or more of 1080p video. Sign of the times I guess.

Yes I could always throttle down or close the valve a little since it's right at the nozzle. The little Honda GHX50's are quiet, but maybe not as quiet as the video suggests. I think I lowered the volume a bit when editing the video and it wasn't shown (close up) running at full operating speed. I still couldn't hear it running from the nozzle though. Those GHX50's have a little higher power curve than the bigger motors So I'm assuming they are designed to be run a little higher RPM if need be.

I try to run as low as RPM as possible and to most dredgers there is no such thing as too much suction regardless of the nozzle size or water depth . I was just trying to emphasize that the GHX 50/P90 will do the job on a 2.5"

Honestly though I haven't run with the short hose since I replaced the stock riffles with the grating. I intended to do some sampling in the active waterway last year (short hose) never got around to it though.

Anyway thanks for the kind words GG. I've been watching your build threads for a while now and always enjoy them. The Trommel build helped motivate me to try something similar. Still havent decided which route to take. I'm contemplating between a small cement mixer (if I can find a used one with the right contour seamless drum) or something like you did, they both have +and- for what I want to do. My plan is to feed it with my 2.5" and/or 4" dredge and have only 1/4"- maybe smaller running through the boxes.
GXH50.gif

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.

Nice setup Specksandflecks!
If you don't mind could you tell me about the pump to motor adapter & standoffs? Thinking about doing the same mod & hate to reinvent the wheel! If you would rather email mine is [email protected]

Thanks!

OP
OP
specksandflecks

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'll see if I can find my drawing, been a couple years though. Thought about having a few made at the time but didn't due to it being prototype and demand uncertainty.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.

specksandflecks said:
I'll see if I can find my drawing, been a couple years though. Thought about having a few made at the time but didn't due to it being prototype and demand uncertainty.

Thank you sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread