Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The RPM's is up to 110. Would add a water coupler for water cooling the bits. It appears to break down into parts for transport and making each load lighter. Will add some hydraulic couplers as well.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I can't really break this unit down I will not be able to get it out into the woods. I may have to modify to make it take down better. I will have to cable this out to use it on a rock pile etc.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I think a person with some imagination would be able to make one their self for a lot cheaper since you already have the drill bit. the only trouble I see is that it is limited to depth and adding longer /more bits .

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think a person with some imagination would be able to make one their self for a lot cheaper since you already have the drill bit. the only trouble I see is that it is limited to depth and adding longer /more bits .
Yea the cost is to high for a lot of the units however this one is used and is hard to beet. One can always add extension pipe sections to go deeper then 36" or so.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A Pionjar is hard to beat for drilling rock. I've drilled hundreds of holes, in concrete, with one. They weigh about 60lbs.
Jim

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A Pionjar is hard to beat for drilling rock. I've drilled hundreds of holes, in concrete, with one. They weigh about 60lbs.
Jim
These are good units for smaller holes in general. I'm going to try using electric units for smaller holes and this hydraulic unit for larger holes for easy wedging with the small pile (350 lbs.) of different wedges I have. Just a different approach that will not work in all conditions. Getting the tools to the rock is the big issue in most cases.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would love to see any ideas on a water couplers if you come across any.
Machining a coupler could pay for itself very quickly. Let me know what you come across. Thanks.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm all in now as I will buy the unit pictured above in a few hours. This will step up the game a few notches if it can be broken down into compact units to then be cabled in. Not much else can even work out in the woods.

As a back up plan I need to dig around 40 post holes so this will not be a total waste investment. Will start small scale with much smaller bits dry to see how it runs. I hope to find a 2" carbide bit used if I can to test it out.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The unit is now home. It took a number of pulls to start as we could not figure the on / off switch. I think it will work turning a 3/4" shaft.

Reactions: RTR
OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I get to shop for the right pipe that will fit the bit and a water connector. Heck I should shop for a 1 3/4" - 2 1/2" bit used as well. I will change all the liquids and test drilling post holes for a fence etc. to get a feel of the machine. Then figure out how to make the unit breakdown into smaller packages and box up to put hooks on them.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are good units for smaller holes in general. I'm going to try using electric units for smaller holes and this hydraulic unit for larger holes for easy wedging with the small pile (350 lbs.) of different wedges I have. Just a different approach that will not work in all conditions. Getting the tools to the rock is the big issue in most cases.
They now have some decent battery-powered chipping hammers and rock drills....might be a handy way to go for <1" holes, which would be large enough for wedges.
Jim

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They now have some decent battery-powered chipping hammers and rock drills....might be a handy way to go for <1" holes, which would be large enough for wedges.
Jim
I'm thinking of a 2 Hp 2 cycle engine set up for some drilling. I will start with inexpensive electric drill hammers first connected to a generator.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That'll work, providing you can get the generator to the locale...LOL
Jim

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That'll work, providing you can get the generator to the locale...LOL
Jim
That in part is what a steel cable and some kind of winch is for.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May have to machine a copular for the water coolant to flush and cool the carbide bits.

NickyDal

Apr 14, 2023
Hey there! I haven't used a Light Hydraulic for drilling rock, but it sounds like an exciting piece of equipment. With a 9-Hp Robin Engine and pump coupled to it, it should have enough power to handle drilling with a carbide bit. However, I find UPER drilling rig the easiest to use. As for the price, it's easier to say with more information about the machine's condition, but if it's in good working order and the price is reasonable, it could be a good investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread