Light-weight dredge platform

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ncclaymaker said:
The next thing, would be to get some CREATIVE names for the next generation of my dredge configuration.

Titanic 2
Submarine
Tutle
pineapple upsidedown dredge

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kayak has just arrived a the local WalMart. The Yamaha engine was removed and tested a few weeks ago... unfortunately, the riceburner functioned as designed for less than a minute, then sent a piston through the head. The blue-grey vapor trail was amusing to watch as the piston finally splashed down into our pond. A minor change of plans, but not catastrophic in nature. Better to have happened now then later. I've bought a 420cc 15hp Lifan, a Honda knockoff engine from Home Depot for $249. This industrial strength powerplant is far superior than the recreational grade that the industry supplies most dredges with. Though it weighs in at 40 pounds more than the 6.5hp, the engine should outlast the others because the parts are heavier, designed for professional usage and duty.

The pump that I'm using is definitely not a compact centrifigal unit. But anyone that has seen a ski jet run... may agree that it isn't wimpy.

The engine and jet ski pump will reside on the centerline of the 'yak, while the sluice will be positioned onto the outrigger. The maximum extension of the outrigger is not more than 18". When being towed, the outrigger will be retracted next to the 'yak hull.

More photos will be added as the work is completed.

I'm still looking for a name for the "yellow submarine".

The weight so far -
kayak - 38 lbs.
frame w/outrigger 6 lbs.
engine/pump mount 6 lbs.
white pontoon 14 lbs.
fuel tank 8 lbs.
15 hp engine - 68 lbs.
classifier section - 18 lbs.
sluice section 12 lbs.
pump assembly 17 lbs.

total ======= 183 lbs.

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
That picture confuses me. You have the jet above the sluice? Is the jet going directly into a crash box? Jets should be under water, or else it won't work..... Also is t he sluice going to be facing upstream? My head hurts, I'm gonna stop thinking about this :icon_scratch:

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Ah ha, I think the case is that I'm just a little dumb right now. The jet still has the styrafoam on the end of it from the box it was shipped in right? It's just sitting on top of the sluice :hello2:.

Don't laugh, I'm looking at tiny little pictures on my phone :BangHead:

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oragonads said:
Ah ha, I think the case is that I'm just a little dumb right now. The jet still has the styrafoam on the end of it from the box it was shipped in right? It's just sitting on top of the sluice :hello2:.

Don't laugh, I'm looking at tiny little pictures on my phone :BangHead:

No, it's not styrofoam from the packing... it's a high impact ABS that's almost 1/2 inch thick. I went to the local Habitat store and bought an 8" X 8" porch upright post for $14. Attached a closeup of the box with the ends closed with plexiglass. The pipe is a 2 X 4 power jet log from the "Big K". It's the same material that I've used for the outrigger float... tough as nails to cut.

Best regards

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Wait, so that is a crash box that you made and you are mounting it on the sluice like that in the pictures?

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The crash box is the same, except the one shown does not have vinyl material attached to prevent erosion due to slurry impact abraison.

Best regards

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
If you plan on mounting the jet above the sluice like in the picture you need to do a little more research on how a dredge works. The jet needs to be under water or else your never going to get any suction....

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oragonads -
I've already had the power jet hooked up to the boat jet drive, where priming and volume were not an issue. The pump has the intake under the hull. There's enough water volume/pressure coming out of the 2" feed to the power jet log to almost pressure wash a greasy car engine. Priming the power jet was easy, put your hand over the end of the power jet to fill up the 4" intake hose. However, what you said about suction quality, made me think.

I thought that I was sucking up a large quantity of sand and gravel, but not as much as the potential present. Further research of your statement was true in a couple of areas. An Aussie had a power jet well above the water, but he has an extension on the end of the power jet. This would permit a more even discharge out of the power jet log and better stratification of the slurry. My use of a crash box makes stratification a moot point. See the pictures below.

The other advantage to lowering the power jet would be the better physical righting moment of the rig, a lower the center of gravity caused by the power jet weight. I'll simply add 2-1/2ft. of 4 inch flex intake hose as an extension. That would be significantly lighter than the power log. Putting the power jet under water is not the factor to increase suction, but the distance from the egress of the power jet. The further that distance is, the greater the suction. A small caveate... putting the power jet under water may end up snagging or damaging the rig when in shallow water.

Trust me.. the power jet simply will never know if it is above or below the waterline. It doesn't even realize that it exists... philosophical hydraulics.

In any event, thanks for the idea on making a more efficient "Yellow Submarine", a work in progress with help.

Best regards

Attachments

• aussies_at_work_02.jpg
    aussies_at_work_02.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 498

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread