Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Sniffer said:
here in Kansas, if it hasn't rained in a while the ground is like concrete
Here in the midwest, when drought sets in the ground is also very much like concrete. I have a Lesche Groundshark in addition to the Lesche M85 digger, and even with that the tough rock infested clay soil is as tough as an epoxy nails mixture. I've left the field cursing at how bad it is, mainly because it's impossible to cut a clean hole when the ground is that way... and the only thing I can do is not hunt there until it softens up.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I bought the Ames digger and used it all year with no problems. Then, when it was pretty darn cold out, I got the bright idea to bang the blade against a tree to clear the mud that was stuck to it. Bad idea. That stressed the cold plastic handle. It started to split where the blade goes in. Go on line and read their lifetime warranty - it's a guarantee against "manufacturing defects" - it doesn't protect against a goof out in the cold banging it on a tree. ;D

That said, Root - you are right. It's simply the best on roots.

I bought another one and don't go around whacking it on trees! It cuts through turf like a hot knife through butter!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I haven't stepped up and bought a Lesche, yet. But I should.

Now I have the Ames, no prob, so far.
I also have a Fiskars, and the handle DID loosen a bit.

A whole flock of other things that didn't work...

What I mean to say is, a person would do well to buy Lesche soon as they are able.
Our Tnet sponsors sells products that WORK for us!

Best
rmptr

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
My first digger came with the purchase of my B2uMax about five years ago. I have no idea what brand is but I still have it today and it works like a champ for digging plugs. I can't bend it or break it, but it does require sharpening at the edge every once in a while and it's not so great on roots. The rubber handle needs to be replaced, but after five years of use what can one expect?

About six months ago I purchased a Razor Edge Gator Digger from Kellyco. This thing will cut through roots like nothing but the blade itself will easily bend when working in harder ground, which can get annoying. Up here in Washington I don't have to worry about it bending so much because the ground is so saturated every plug pops right up no problem. But after every hunt I'm still straightening it out.

My next digger will be a Lesche, but I probably won't get one till sometime early next year. But who knows...maybe I'll give the Lowes tool a shot first.

Ray

Hah! Not more than two minutes after I posted this I found what looks to be the digger I originally got with my B2uMax. You can find them at http://www.ronsdetectors.com and they're only $11.

Attachments

• sabretooth_.jpg
    sabretooth_.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,837

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke a lesche digger do the math

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple Corona Clipper Transplanting Trowels at Big Lots a few years ago. They cost less than $4 each and are made of super heavy duty Aluminum with a rubberized handle wrapped around the full length tang. They worked pretty well in MO, but here in FL it will slice the ground like soft butter. The edge is sharp but not serrated, but I carry a serrated edge knife on me all the time anyway. I've sharpened the edges of the Coronas a couple times. I thought about serrating the edge on one side............. It cuts real nice plugs!
Anyway, for most prying, I carry a huge screwdriver that's got a screw-in 4" tang. BUT I've pried on immovable stuff with my full 230lbs and the Clippers haven't bent in the slightest.
10958_15_12_08_5_53_11_1.jpg

However, If I don't get a Lesche for Christmas I'll probably buy one for myself...................... :wink:

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I use the same tool as in the first post. As everyone else, I got it from Lowes. It has been working better than any "hobby" digging tool I've used.
In fact, even if it does break, I'm going to Lowes to buy about 5 of them so I will always have an extra. And, it seems like every time I find a tool I like, it breaks and I can never find it at the store again.
It gets a thumbs up from me.
xXx
www.treasureexpo.com

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Re: Not at all like the Lesche digger, just cheaper

The Planter Buddy is great for it's price, but let me tell you... a Lesche goes into the ground like BUTTER. EVEN ROCK HARD FROZEN GROUND. Try doing that with the Planter Buddy... I would never buy 5 of those planter buddies when you can instead buy 1 Lesche and still have money left over for a nice steak dinner :)

Plus, you get a nice sheath with your lesche and it won't slice your hand or pants open.

I know we are supposed to be in a recession or something, but don't fall for that crap and just do the right thing guys!

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had the Planter Buddy's at Home Depot for $12.97, so I picked a couple up. Down here in the Florida Panhandle it never gets frozen and the ground is mostly sandy with a few areas of clay. The only problem I have is roots, and the Buddy looks pretty good for cutting, so I'll try this one out for a while and see if I really need a Lesche.
I'll give the other one to Dad up in Missouri and he can tell me if it works on frozen ground ;D
We already have canvas and leather detecting belts with built in sheath for a trowel, so this will fit right in it.
If I decide I don't like it I'll give it to the wife....... she's a gardening fanatic......... :wink:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Cybercop106 said:
If I decide I don't like it I'll give it to the wife....... she's a gardening fanatic......... :wink:

Hopefully you won't have to give it to her in two pieces :)

I actually bought my Planter Buddy from a Lowes in Sarasota, FL and the parks around there had some pretty HARD ground in May. I guess it all depends on where you are though. The PB does throw down on roots though ;)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
No one has mentioned that the original designer and builder of the Lesche digging tool was a pioneer in providing that tool for the metal detecting community when there were no others.

He was a good guy, from what I've heard.
He has passed on.

His widow continues to support herself from sale of his designs.

They ARE superior to other diggers.

If you are able, it is a good thing to purchase from them.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Are you referring to George Lesche of http://www.Predatortools.com ?

Because there is also the wwmfg.com that has the Lesche named tools, which is apparently the first company he started and is not working with then anymore. I don't know the whole story but I know that the products at predatortools.com look to be better made, and they can only be purchased at predatortools.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Brett, I don't know the whole story.
rmptr

I've fabricated my own digging tools.
I don't think any of them measure up to the nice ones.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer Elf said:
did you return your lesche ? It's guaranteed for life.
correction "cracked" gave it to a newbie ::)

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally sprung for a lesche. Big dissapointment. The off-set handle makes it impossible to cut plugs in anything like packed dirt. You need the handle over the blade. Would probably work good if used like a small spade.
Keep the tips comming.
On the side..I wanted to post some pictures, too dumb to figure it out.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard that a pick used for ice climbing works well in hard dirt.
In the middle of summer here lots of places are like concrete so am thinking about one for myself.
That's for shallow targets. Deeper ones I think would require a large miners pickaxe.
Or maybe a hand held brace and 2" auger bit with an alternative to dynamite.
I used to see those old brace and bit type things at garage sales for estates.
Grey

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No offense here but that Digger looks like crap. But again you know the saying "you get what you pay for" Personally all I use is Predator tools, formally Lesche tools. I personally know and hunt with the make of these tools and you couldn't find a better guy than George Lesche. Nicest person you would ever meet and he builds the BEST tools money can buy bar none.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread