Like to hear your opinion on this piece.

Looks like half a flint hoe..............

Maybe a preform one that they just did not finish?

Lol I just saw in your other post. Commented there. :dontknow: what Newt said :icon_scratch:

cedarratt said:
Maybe a preform one that they just did not finish?

My thoughts as well. What throws me off is the slight basal grinding which makes me think it's finished. There's not enough edgework to be finished imo. I've found some fluted hardaways in the area, perhaps it's a hardaway blade preform.

Appreciate the opinions everyone.

Do you think they may have been running the flute first and then going for the edge work next? Folsum style always made sense to me with a fluted form.Do the flute first and then the edge work if you blow the piece it could become a hoe? :laughing7:
Heck I do not know I need to go get in a tree the pre rut is on.

Actually,it looks like an unfinished Paleo piece, that for whatever reason got chucked. Maybe the maker, didn't like the inclusions or just wasn't happy the way it was turning out.

TnMountains said:
Do you think they may have been running the flute first and then going for the edge work next? Folsum style always made sense to me with a fluted form.Do the flute first and then the edge work if you blow the piece it could become a hoe? :laughing7:
Heck I do not know I need to go get in a tree the pre rut is on.

Good question, it's one I've been thinking about. Even though most say otherwise, flute first makes sense to me to. I found another one earlier this year it's thinner and smaller, but fluted on one side. I hear ya man it's about time to get in a tree.

jpitt1970 said:
Actually,it looks like an unfinished Paleo piece, that for whatever reason got chucked. Maybe the maker, didn't like the inclusions or just wasn't happy the way it was turning out.

I think so too, the size, width, and flaking look paleo imo, or possibly transitional paleo... who knows, maybe the maker got sabretooth'd while knapping?

Not a fluting flake, just a capping flake. Flat on the other side, which would cause a loss of width to finish. You would need to raise the platform on both sides (and loose width) in order to deal with the flat side. Too short. Throw away.

jpitt1970 said:
for whatever reason got chucked. Maybe the maker, didn't like the inclusions or just wasn't happy the way it was turning out.

Or he was eaten by a saber tooth before he could finish???

It's hard to tell from the pictures. Looks like a blade core or a celt.

Is it anything like this one ?

Attachments

• DSC00349.JPG
    DSC00349.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 470
uniface said:

It's tough to get a good picture of. It's similar to that, but yours looks like a finished piece with complete edgework. This one is a biface, I took three more pics, reverse side, and basal area.

Appreciate all the opinions.

It looks like it's made out of the same stuff as the corner notched one the other day.

thirty7 said:
uniface said:

It's tough to get a good picture of. It's similar to that, but yours looks like a finished piece with complete edgework. This one is a biface, I took three more pics, reverse side, and basal area.

From the view of your first picture in quote above, it looks just like a hoe. I have approx 40-50 whole hoes that look like that.

I'm still not sure I've seen the other side of that to get a mental handle on it, but from the outrepasse flaking, I'll repeat my earlier opinion : Early.

Conceiveably an abandoned preform. Maybe a core tool. :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter said:
thirty7 said:
uniface said:

From the view of your first picture in quote above, it looks just like a hoe. I have approx 40-50 whole hoes that look like that.

The site it came off is early archaic, kind of rules out the need for agricultural tools. I agree the basic form looks similar but this piece is much smaller than any hoe I've ever seen. Thanks for the comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back