What's new

Little Round Ball, 2 Locks, ID needed

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
2,189
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Was going to post this in TODAY's FINDS, but we had a question about some things, so thought it best to post here.

This past weekend, Ron (RonandAnn, now Minelab Ron) went out with some TNet Buds. What is posted is Saturday's finds. Sundays, well, he found a memorial penny, a matchbox fire truck and a round sinker. Nothing much else to "brag" about ... LOL!

However, I think he did real good on Saturday and here they are:

1st photo: is all the stuff saved. The stuff thrown away were pulltabs, aluminum crap and the usual junk. He did find a 1954 Rosie (no mint mark) and 2 wheats (1918 and 1946D). They are not in the photos. THE QUARTER IN THE PIC IS FOR SIZE ONLY!!!

2nd photo: Ron thinks a bell ball....said he wish he could have found the bell. Maybe it's there ... just have to search some more!

3rd photo: I believe this is a grave marker.

4th photo: A key Ron found. From research, looks like to be from circa 1920's.

5th photo: A small pin. Can't make out the markings on the back. I'm thinking either a state bird or a girl scout pin (which being a girl scout way back when, I don't recall anything like this). Just have no idea. Maybe just a pretty pin a little girl liked.

6th photo: Ron believes this to be a perfume bottle. There are NO markings at all on this bottle. Research did not lead me to anything either :(

7th photo: Research on this lock shows that Yale and Towne Manufactoring Co was around from 1868 to 2001. Linus Yale was the inventor of the tumbler lock. His father was also an inventor and opened a lock shop. Linus died 4 Dec 1868 before he ever knew how successful the lock and the company would become! I found this same lock, but no date and one similar to it, again, no date. I will post the links to those later. He made alot of locks for banks and such and even a lock where you could take the bottom out to change the combination. This one looks like one that you could remove the bottom. But I can't find any good photos....YET! This particular lock, looks like someone took a saw to it to remove it.

8th photo: This lock is cool. Ron found one similar on our last hunt (April 2009). Of course, we turned that in to the Ranger, as required. But the one he found in April was alot bigger than this one and the cover where the key goes was moved to the side, so you could see the key hole...this one...you can not! This one is really locked. Any idea on it's age? NO MARKINGS AT ALL!!! UGH!

Thanks for looking,
Annmarie
 

Attachments

  • all items 1a.webp
    all items 1a.webp
    61.9 KB · Views: 496
  • bell ball 1a.webp
    bell ball 1a.webp
    61.9 KB · Views: 494
  • grave marker 1a.webp
    grave marker 1a.webp
    86.9 KB · Views: 489
  • key 1a.webp
    key 1a.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 477
  • pin 1a.webp
    pin 1a.webp
    36 KB · Views: 464
  • perfume bottle 1a.webp
    perfume bottle 1a.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 471
  • lock two 1a.webp
    lock two 1a.webp
    106.7 KB · Views: 487
  • lock one 1a.webp
    lock one 1a.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 489
I vote banner for the great clear pics, front, back and sides, Ladydigger! :icon_thumright: The best I have seen in 5 years. :notworthy: ;D What program do you use?
 
Upvote 0
#6- I agree it looks like an early 1900's ABM (automatic bottling machine) perfume with a glass peg stopper cork top .
 
Upvote 0
#3- could your "grave marker" be a clock key? ...or clock pendulum? It looks like zinc spelter metal. It looks very much like a pendulum for a small clock. The zinc part would slide up or down on the shaft and the last pic resembles it most and may be upside down. http://www.andersonmilitaria.com/Web_Pages/misc/spanam/spanam.htm
 

Attachments

  • clock and key.webp
    clock and key.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 509
  • clock Pendulums.webp
    clock Pendulums.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
I agree with BCH on his guesses. Perfume bottle, clock pendulum (Great ID, BTW :thumbsup: ).

#4 ILCO still makes keys today.

#8 is see referred to as a "railroad" lock, or at least the style of it is. Most likely had a chain attached to it at one time.
 
Upvote 0
Hi,
Just wanted to show my Granma's lock the one like yours.
Early Yale + Towne. lock.
 

Attachments

  • Yale lock 004 (Medium).webp
    Yale lock 004 (Medium).webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Yale lock 008 (Medium).webp
    Yale lock 008 (Medium).webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Yale lock 009 (Medium).webp
    Yale lock 009 (Medium).webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
One more picture of the bottom.
Yours does look like someone took a saw to get at whatever that lock was hiding.
Lock made of brass. You would think it would have been easily picked?
 

Attachments

  • Yale lock 006 (Medium).webp
    Yale lock 006 (Medium).webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0
the little brass ball most likely has a screw in it originally to attach as a finial for say a clock. Since you also found a pendulum it might have been part of the same clock.
 
Upvote 0
I keep forgetting to get over to this thread....silly me! :tongue3: :laughing9:

Thanks everyone, for your input. I'm not sure if it's a clock piece, but then again, I am not familiar with clock parts. Here is a photo of the end of the "grave marker". I meant to add that when I posted the pics.

bigcypresshunter - I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X2...been using this program since about PSP 5 I believe, maybe earlier than that. On my camera, I do Macro setting and then zoom in. Sometimes it takes several shots and a steady hand! ;D ...I use my PSP to crop the photos. I don't want alot of background, I want only the object I am showing!

I prefer outside lighting, if I can.

And thank you, for the compliment on the photos. I try to give the best shots I can when I ask for help in ID'ing something. Don't like to look at photos that I have to squint to see! (My eyesight is bad on it's own! :laughing7:)

lostcauses - could be part of a clock, but hubby really thinks it's from a bell... I think we will have to search that area some more to see what other items we can find.

jbsffun - thanks for posting that lock. Looks just like hubby's! Do you happen to know a date for it? I haven't had any luck in researching to find a date. :(

72Cheyenne - I did find out it was prob a railroad lock. I think it's so cool. Thank you! I wish I could find a date (time frame) for it's use, earliest date.

Thanks again everyone!
Annmarie

As for this photo, the threads are on two sides and the other two sides are flat. It would be cool if it was from a clock, hubby didn't seem to happy when I told him it might be a grave marker! LOL
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5113b.webp
    IMG_5113b.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
LadyDigger said:
Thanks everyone, for your input. I'm not sure if it's a clock piece, but then again, I am not familiar with clock parts. Here is a photo of the end of the "grave marker". I meant to add that when I posted the pics.


As for this photo, the threads are on two sides and the other two sides are flat. It would be cool if it was from a clock, hubby didn't seem to happy when I told him it might be a grave marker! LOL
I am more convinced than ever that it is a clock pendulum. One end has the hanging eye loop and the other end is threaded for the faster/slower adjustment nut. (see second item) I think the 3rd pendulum bob is pictured upside down. NOT a grave marker. :)
http://www.kensingtonclock.com/kcsadjust.htm

clock Pendulums.webp clock Pendulums.webp
 

Attachments

  • unknown tn.webp
    unknown tn.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 234
  • pendulum adjustment nut.webp
    pendulum adjustment nut.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 658
Upvote 0
Told hubby and he seems happier on it being the clock part vs the grave marker!

Thanks for the ID Cypress!

Told hubby we will have to hit that area some more!!! Might go over today ;)
 
Upvote 0
Again, I want to thank everyone for their input!

Hubby and I are going to head back to this location in a bit.... he showed me on the map where he found the clock part and bottle (within the same area). I am thinking a house was located there. The trees are usually good indicators! :wink:

Bigcypress...maybe we (or I) can find more clock parts! :wink:

Also, JBSFFUN.... on the map, there is a fenced area, but when you go there, it's just a patch of dirt and rock. The fence is gone. I wonder if the lock you posted like the one Ron found, wonder if that lock was on that fenced off area? Hmmmm? It was sawed off...so it's possible, I guess.

So we will see what other cool items we can pull from Mother Earth today and will post. I hope I can find me some silver today. I have not been out detecting all Summer, I need to get out and get some dirt under my nails! I'm tired of hubby finding all the cool stuff! LOL!

Wishing everyone a great day,
Annmarie
 
Upvote 0
LadyDigger said:
Bigcypress...maybe we (or I) can find more clock parts! :wink:
My uncle used to collect antique clocks. His house was full of them. As far as I remember, the pendulums had to be removed whenever the clock was packed to prevent it from bouncing around and causing damage or breaking the glass. I remember removing them very easily. The top loop on yours is bent. So its possible the pendulum only was lost.

Green check?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom