What's new

Local estate sale has civil war weapons buckles guns

cchunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
87
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the ad and pics. Just wondering what the value of the items are and what would be a good price to pay.

Antique and Civil War weapons and accoutrements including 3 US Contract Muskets, (3)
3rd model flintlock Brown Bess rifles, (2) fullstock Flintlock Kentucky rifles, (2) 45/70trap-door rifles, Civil War Officer's belt, buckle, cap box, cartridge box, sword hanger and holster, C.W. and Indian war buckles, belts, etc. Admiral Dewey, McKinley and U.S. Grant Commemoratives

100_4430.jpg

100_4435.jpg
 
??? They don't Look over 100 years Old.. To me..
 
plehbah© said:
I cannot say anything about the guns, but I see some serious problems on the second table.

It looks like there are also some surplus parts that might be old Bannermans' stock.
What kind of problems? The buckles are polished I would think that would affect the value of them. What is Bannermans stock?
 
allen said:
are they real or replicas ??
It doesn't say they are replicas so I would say are real. Anyone know the vaule of them, Real or repo? The sale is saturday I want to go with some info, so I know what to look for. Anyone??
 
Wow, looks like good stuff!! Admiral Dewey as well as Thomas Dewey are my kin!
Baggins
 
I do know about guns but the pictures don't do justice to the pieces. Can't say if they're original or not. Some of the buckles look like replicas. It's your money. If you like em and want em go ahead and buy. Do some research and ask the sellers lots of questions. Cool stuff anyway.
 
cchunter said:
plehbah© said:
I cannot say anything about the guns, but I see some serious problems on the second table.

It looks like there are also some surplus parts that might be old Bannermans' stock.
What kind of problems? The buckles are polished I would think that would affect the value of them. What is Bannermans stock?
Bannermans was a MAJOR wholesale buyer of obsolete and discontinued ordinance at the turn of the century . Val Forgett and his family got their start (Navy Arms) decomissioning and cleaning out
Bannermans warehouses which is a story all in in itself . Turner Kirkland (Dixie Gun Works) didn't do half bad , either ; being in the right places at the right times .
 
There is no way to put a value on any of it. At least some look like reproductions so you will have to look it over. If you are interested in any particular items, research and figure out how to tell the difference, or bid low assuming reproduction.
 
Are there dates stamped on the back of the buckles? If so they are repros/fakes.

habs
 
eathabs said:
Are there dates stamped on the back of the buckles? If so they are repros/fakes.

habs
I don't but will check tomorrow when I go. Any other things to look out for on repros?
 
I would say that the person who lived there was a reenactor and all or at least most of the stuff is repro.
 
Went to the Estate sale on Saturday. It was all real no fakes. It was all family heirlooms they were original from western Mass. What a shame to sell it all like that. The guns were priced from $800 to $1400 and were all sold in 20 min, all but 2 they sold in an hour. The buckles were priced from $150 to $300. There was no dates on the back. they were still there after I left. They had a belt with a gun holster, sword hanger, pouch and captan buckle they were asking $1500. It was signed on the inside from the soldier that own it. I didn't buy any thing I would rather dig mine. But I was a good learning experience.
 
cchunter said:
Went to the Estate sale on Saturday. It was all real no fakes. It was all family heirlooms they were original from western Mass. What a shame to sell it all like that. The guns were priced from $800 to $1400 and were all sold in 20 min, all but 2 they sold in an hour. The buckles were priced from $150 to $300. There was no dates on the back. they were still there after I left. They had a belt with a gun holster, sword hanger, pouch and captan buckle they were asking $1500. It was signed on the inside from the soldier that own it. I didn't buy any thing I would rather dig mine. But I was a good learning experience.
Yep a shame they sold it all, but they caught quite a bit of money from it, it looks like.
Those buckles were in amazing shape and there was so much stuff I thought maybe the person was a reenactor, but that's not the first time I've been wrong about something.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom