Local Park Yields Indian Head!

D

doyboy

I decided to hit a local park that has been producing a lot of old coins lately. I hit the sidewalk strip again where I found the 1891 V-Nickel and got a nice 50 V.D.I. reading. The target pinpointed at 3.5", so I decided to dig it. I dug down to about 3.5" and I saw the coin. I thought, "Probably another Memorial," but I was soon very wrong. It turned out to be a 1900 Indian Head penny. This is the 4th IH I have found in this small town park that has been there since 1913. I also found 3 quarters in the same hole. Oh, and I also found an opened pocket knife. I properly disposed of it in the garbage. That just shows one to be careful out there and wear those gloves.

Attachments

• 1900 Indian Head.jpg
    1900 Indian Head.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the indian head!

Yeah, I always wear gloves, no matter how much my hands start to sweat! I find lots of areas that have been filled in with gravel and broken glass... yuck!

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since we are on the topic .. can any of you guys give me advice on a total packet of equipment to were when digging after artifacts and coins ???

my own guess is

Gloves
Kneepads
Shovel

after that i need advice please help

USTiger

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig and good tip! Ive taken to many trips to the hospital for stiches in the past to not wear them. Lots of broken glass and other sharp objects in old ground!

Jer

S

southbound

Cool IH!!!! Would love to find one.
Vern

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
My gear

long blade D Handle garden shovel
Garret pouch with leather belt -- like this because it has a large place for junk and a small pocket for coins/keepers
Letsch digger
small towel-- saves on the lectures about dirty pants from wife
detector of course
probably should have knee pads but don't
If we are going back into the woods away from the truck Ill bring a water bottle in a holder on my belt too
always bring a small packet of TP

I realize that this list is a bit excessive especially if you are only going to the local park but if your a mile back in the woods its tough to run back to the truck and get something

Tim

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TimmyNY said:
I realize that this list is a bit excessive especially if you are only going to the local park but if your a mile back in the woods its tough to run back to the truck and get something

Tim

lol a mile back .. in Little Denmark our biggest forest is like the size of Central Park in NY

thanks for you gear list m8

USTiger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I really enjoyed your post because it brought back memories of an old park I used to hunt back in the 80's. It was one of those little village parks on a lake.

I took lots of Indians, Buffaloes, Vs, Barbers, Mercs, Wheats, and jewelry out of that park.

One day I was testing my new Wilson Newman GBIII and decided that maybe the old coins where deeper. I turned the machine on to all-metal mode and worked very slowly. By the modern day restrooms I dug 6 or 7 Indian cents in a place about 3 feet square. They were about 7 to maybe 9 inches deep due to the fill from the restroom.

But you're right, those small town parks are still great even today. Hunt slow and deep and find great things in them even now.

Badger

OP
OP
D

doyboy

Thanks, guys. I have found 21 Indian Heads this year and tied my total from last year. I have found 42 of them in less than a year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread