local prices for aluminum cans?

alchemyst

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
still looking to buy one :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm a newbie to these forums and interested in MANY of the topics here. Just started collecting aluminum cans and contacted a couple local scrapyards. One quoted $0.40 per pound, and the other said $0.48 per pound. I know it won't make me rich but I figure if a can is worth 1-2 cents, well, I'd pick up 1-2 cents everytime I saw it lying around. :)

What are you guys getting for cans nowadays? We have no can deposit here.

(I'm entertaining the thought of collecting other scrap metals... you know, the thrill of the hunt!)

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting about 48 cents a pound for cans right now. That is normally where they are at for me, sometimes 50 cents, sometimes 45 cents. I would definitely get into the other scrap metals if you are not already. I would start with aluminum, copper, and brass mainly, as well as steel. You may even want to try escrap. It is pretty interesting to get into and can make you some good side money. Look for old computers to scrap, because they have the boards, cpus, memory, as well as aluminum in the heat sinks, copper in the wires (watch out because some are aluminum) and steel or aluminum in the casing. Good luck! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
A

alchemyst

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bassmaster96! I am just starting out but already interested in scrapping lots more than aluminum cans. I've only read a small bit about harvesting copper from old TVs and other electronics. The part about capacitors holding a charge scared me a bit. I don't even like getting mild shocks in the wintertime. haha But I just found a website that has detailed steps for taking apart various items and what to look for so I'm tempted to give it a go. :)

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do the big TV's because of the shock and the chemicals in some. AC units are good as long as they don't have any Freon in them. There are all kinds of things you can scrap. Look up mike the scrapper on youtube, he has some good videos. Do you have a yard locally? Cell phones are good also, you can sell your electronic items on boardsort.com. I don't like recommending things unless I have used it, but I will be selling to boardsort soon. I have talked to them through email, and they seem good. I'll let you know when I do sell to them. You can also sell your computer boards through ebay. If you have any questions, let me know, I have been doing this for a while and can probably help you.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
.75 - .95 here in So. AZ with coupon. AZ is not a deposit state. Prices at a few new places in town are crazy high. Could be that these new places are redeeming the cans for CRV deposit in California.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
I don't do the big TV's because of the shock and the chemicals in some. AC units are good as long as they don't have any Freon in them. There are all kinds of things you can scrap. Look up mike the scrapper on youtube, he has some good videos. Do you have a yard locally? Cell phones are good also, you can sell your electronic items on boardsort.com. I don't like recommending things unless I have used it, but I will be selling to boardsort soon. I have talked to them through email, and they seem good. I'll let you know when I do sell to them. You can also sell your computer boards through ebay. If you have any questions, let me know, I have been doing this for a while and can probably help you.

These guys have good prices as well... What We Buy | Cash for Computer Scrap

PRICING EFFECTIVE
1/21/2014

ATTENTION: If interested in working with us, please allow us to send you a quote on shipping picked up at your door!

Pricing delivered to our dock (44060)
PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS
Please remove batteries and excess AL and Steel
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$2.40 Motherboards Mixed Socket (Large and Small Socket)
$1.80 Small Socket Foreign Boards
$2.40 Finger Board Trimmed/Devalued
$3.70 Finger Boards
$3.70 Dual Socket Server Boards - Large Socket
$2.55 Dual Socket Server Boards - Small Socket
$3.00 to 6.00+ Telecom (Paid on Sort)
$2.40 CD/DVD Boards

HIGH VALUE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS 350
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$5.75 RAMBUS (Memory with METAL Enclosure)
$9.80 Hard Drive Boards
$10.15 Cell Phone Boards CLEAN (please remove excess Plastic, Steel, Aluminum and Battery)
$-.30/lb Memory Mixed (Sorting fee of $.30 per lb. Memory paid on sort at pricing below)
$13.15 Gold Memory
$6.15 Silver/Tin Memory
$50.00 Gold Fingers (Pricing is for quality cut trim. Little to no Green, otherwise deduction)
$10.25 Slot Processor

OTHER PRECIOUS METAL ITEMS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$1.00 Gold Connectors
$5.00 Cell Phones w/o battery

CPUs (Must be Sorted)
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$110.00 Intel 386 and 486
$80.00 Motorola
$80.00 Pentium Pro Gold Caps
$40.00 Cyrix/IBM/VIA Gold Cap
$32.00 Pentium Ceramic
$27.00 AMD Ceramic Clean (without Al. Cap)
$29.00 Black Fiber CPU
$16.00 Green/Brown Fiber without Heatsink
$6.40 Green Fiber with Heatsink - Pins
$4.50 Green Fiber with Heatsink - Pinless

COMPUTER/SERVER PARTS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$0.85 Hard Drives Complete
$0.40 Hard Drives w/o Boards
$0.31 Power Supply w/ Wire
$0.24 Power Supply w/o Wire
$0.18 Mixed Floppy/CD/DVD Drives

OTHER ITEMS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$1.05 Laptops Complete
$0.85 Incomplete laptops (Must have Motherboard)
$0.24 AC Adapter w/ Wire
$0.15 AC Adapter w/o Wire
$0.70 Mixed Computer Wire
$0.07 Mixed Computer Plastic (NO METAL!)
$4.00 [per UNIT] Whole DESKTOP LCD, Complete With Base - No screen bleeding, gouges, Cracks, Cut cables

Prices are subject to change without notice.
Pricing is determined by date of RECEIPT of material unless otherwise noted.

Anything else, send us an email: [email protected] Thanks​

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Austin I get anywhere from 45 cents a pound - 55 cents a pound,depending which scrap yard I go to,Texas does not have a deposit law yet.I bought my Ace 250 from cans I sold.

OP
OP
A

alchemyst

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for 80+ pounds of cans, the one scrapyard said they'd pay 50 cents per pound... yippee!

I collected another item today... ~20 lb. steel bar that someone left on a "free" shelf at work.
Haven't checked local prices for that yet... maybe 8-10 cents per pound?

Starting to pay more attention to the metal all around me.... :)

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobo,

I believe it is a felony to defraud the State of California by importing cans for CRV. Look up fraud crv and it will show you people convicted for it. I know it seems stupid to me too. But, only in California can you pay CRV fees on all bottles and plastic and cans then only get scrap value from recycler. so pay 5 cents get less than 1 cent for plastic bottle. Then factor in all the ones that are destroyed or not ever recycled and the State has a nice little fraud of their own going on taking your CRV fee and putting it in the General Fund sounds like smells looks like another tax to me. So they have to bone anyone who would be bright enough to bring in cans from out of State for redemption becouse it cuts into their funds.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks hobo for that site. It's funny that they buy plastic. I'll check it out!

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
Hobo,

I believe it is a felony to defraud the State of California by importing cans for CRV. Look up fraud crv and it will show you people convicted for it. I know it seems stupid to me too. But, only in California can you pay CRV fees on all bottles and plastic and cans then only get scrap value from recycler. so pay 5 cents get less than 1 cent for plastic bottle. Then factor in all the ones that are destroyed or not ever recycled and the State has a nice little fraud of their own going on taking your CRV fee and putting it in the General Fund sounds like smells looks like another tax to me. So they have to bone anyone who would be bright enough to bring in cans from out of State for redemption becouse it cuts into their funds.

I am not bringing my cans to California! LOL And am not sure these places are but not sure how they can pay so much for them...

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In California in 2005 approxiamatley 20 billion CRV containers were sold. 39 percent were never reedeemed thats about 200,000,000 dollars that every year is not reclaimed. Of course all the money from the CRV goes into the General fund and is spent by the state of california becouse we all know they need the money. When I buy a coke the crv is 5 cents, when I was 10 in 1970 it was 10 cents. Shouldnt we adjust for inflation and make it 25 cents for each crv then maybe we could get to 90% recycling rate.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
2 more places opened up and they pay $.95 a pound if you have 50 or more lbs. If not then its $.85 for them.

So a recap of places by me

2 pay $.95 with coupon no weight min
2 pay $.95 a pound if you have 50 or more lbs. If not then its $.85 lb for them
1 pays $.95 a pound if you have 60 or more lbs. If not then $.85 lb for them
1 will match anyones coupon or ad!

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I wish that my scrapyard had those prices. Mine only pays about 45 cents a pound right now.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm a newbie to these forums and interested in MANY of the topics here. Just started collecting aluminum cans and contacted a couple local scrapyards. One quoted $0.40 per pound, and the other said $0.48 per pound. I know it won't make me rich but I figure if a can is worth 1-2 cents, well, I'd pick up 1-2 cents everytime I saw it lying around. :)

What are you guys getting for cans nowadays? We have no can deposit here.

(I'm entertaining the thought of collecting other scrap metals... you know, the thrill of the hunt!)

Ft. Worth/Dallas area, as of the last half of October, 2014, Aluminum cans: .67 lb.

I take my scrap metal dollars and buy gold/silver jewelry at garage sales and silver rounds from a fellow that has sold silver coins for 20 years at a monthly flea market. Even brought home a cracked and heavy cast aluminum chair that a garage sale owner put a "FREE" sign on....it brought $8.20 when I took in 51 lbs. cans.....

I believe it takes about thirty-six 12 oz. soda cans to make a pound..? But, I just laugh to myself and say "Only 35 more to go!" when I see Alum. cans run over, mashed flat, dried out, and laying on a parking lot pavement. If you're not too proud to stop and pick up a dropped penny, then why be too proud to pick up an aluminum can?

Have can prices in your area changed since you originally posted your question?

Bill

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Worth/Dallas area, as of the last half of October, 2014, Aluminum cans: .67 lb.

I take my scrap metal dollars and buy gold/silver jewelry at garage sales and silver rounds from a fellow that has sold silver coins for 20 years at a monthly flea market. Even brought home a cracked and heavy cast aluminum chair that a garage sale owner put a "FREE" sign on....it brought $8.20 when I took in 51 lbs. cans.....

I believe it takes about thirty-six 12 oz. soda cans to make a pound..? But, I just laugh to myself and say "Only 35 more to go!" when I see Alum. cans run over, mashed flat, dried out, and laying on a parking lot pavement. If you're not too proud to stop and pick up a dropped penny, then why be too proud to pick up an aluminum can?

Have can prices in your area changed since you originally posted your question?

Bill

Money is money...Hell I sometime spend 2 hours working and digging up 15 cents some of my hunts..I probally walk by 100+ cans on the ground during that time

Ive yet to drop off any of my scrap. Do you have a good yard you takes yours too around here?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gamtex Industries has a local scrapyard at 3040 Ranger Hwy where it intersects West of Weatherford, tx.
and I-20 West. They several other yards in Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Sherman.

I guess this is a common issue with just about all scrapyards, but you really have to stay with the guys that weigh-in the metals. The main reason I chose this yard is that they pay .30-cents a lb. more for Red Brass where other yards just put it all in one pile for yellow brass's lower price. I had 27 lbs. of red brass, so the few added miles extra were offset when it did make a few extra dollars by having a bucket for red and a larger tub for the yellow brass.

The best part is, over a year ago, I met the owner on one of my sell trips. He said, "If it doesn't make sense when they weigh it in, just have them come get me. We'll figure it out so you're happy." I had to ask for him twice and came out better because of taking the time to do that. Most likely, I won't get back for another sale for six or eight months. It takes me that long to slowly acquire scrap from my weekly garage and estate sales. I hate to sell some items, but brass decorations just won't sell at local garage sales for even as much as scrap prices pay....but like you say, "Money is Money!"

I read that copper and brass should still go lower, at least until after the first of the new year. That's why I sold my scrap the last week of October and bought 10 American Eagles at 20.09 each.... It's easier to find scrap than a good low price on physical metals! Even if scrap goes lower and stays, I always try to buy at least half of what it would bring when I sell. It's like buying the silver for $10 an ounce.... There's at least a better than average chance I'll always get my original money back, and hope that silver will go higher as governments find that their actual inventories are way lower than they want people and other countries to believe.

Good luck with your gathering. Don't forget to post what you've found and what prices your collections bring.

Last edited:

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N ILL. .56 cents lb. #1 copper lower than normal $2.10..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread