Location matters...Found 2 more wheats today!

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I got off work early and decided to revisit my old little church permission. It was 93 degrees and humid with heat index 105. I tried to go around the pond that is behind the church but halfway around I realized that the other side was so grown up that I couldnt see through it. Knowibg snakes love this kind of environment, I decide to save that area for another time when I have my boots on and not tennis shoes. So again I made my way back to a gravel strip next to the parking lot. This meant walking up a steep hill back to the truck. I had parked at the end of the old gravel lot. I was so tired I was having trouble swinging my metal detector. I knew I had to stop and make it to the car to get some water. So I made my way slowly up the steep drive. About 7 feet in front of the truck I got a 81 signal. Sometimes a penny sometimes a dime. It was deep, 8 inches. I contemplated a moment if it was even worth the effort since I was wiped out from the heat. Until now I had only claimed a measly 3 stinkin lincolns and 1 nickel. I decided to dig. Took me about 5 minutes as it was in gravel and under tree roots.Finally I pop it out and am disheartened that it's only a penny. I throw it in my finds bag and head on to the truck to drink some water. I decide it's getting late and drove 45 minutes back to my home town. I made a quick stop by some old tennis courts for about 2 more hours. Not much there but I got 5 pennies, 4 dimes and 2 quarters. Got home and cleaned them up. I kept the finds separated according to location. Discovered I at least pulled a 1942 wheat from my old 1800s church! I knew it was the last penny I dug on the way to the car. I had checked the back of the first 3 pennies. Glad I decided to dig it! Then after I counted both sets of finds I decided to check the dates on my other pennies. I had totally overlooked another 1957 wheatie from the tennis courts! So now I have found my first 3 wheat pennies ever. It's not silver or gold, but it's something! Thanks and HH! 20160713_223544.jpg 20160713_223651.jpg 20160713_223705.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're well on the way to silver and gold. Keep researching and finding new "old" ground to hunt.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right location is everything, can't find it if it ain't there. Congrats on the wheats

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting out. Easy does it with the high temperatures.
1964 was the last year that silver coins were minted. The dates on those wheat pennies put you in the silver years. It won't be long before your post includes a silver coin. HH

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on you clad & wheaties finds (wheaties are good) - you are getting close to the silver and thank you for posting your finds & I wish you many more while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finding wheat's is a good thing. You know you are hunting where people WERE and lost things. Even on my dives if I find a wheat i know I am in an area that might be promising. You know someone was there to lose a coin. Good luck on your search for silver.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice wheat cent finds, congratulations! :occasion14: Where there are "wheaties", silver is not far behind! GL & HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on your first few Wheats. Your movin on up, and the silver is going to start showing up soon.

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those wheaties !! Congrats !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread