locket with treasure inside!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
I went detecting for a few hours yesterday with a few friends downtown Eugene Oregon. One target I dug was about five inches deep ~ when I lifted out the plug of dirt there sat a 1943-S War Nickel on top of a gold-plated locket. About an hour later I was showing one of my detecting buddies and we noticed that there was something rattling inside the locket. I had to used a knife to pry open the locket ~ inside was a 1939-S Mercury dime! Treasure inside of treasure!! Also, in the same strip of grass I found a quarter sized copper/bronze medallion with an Indian head that reads PONTIAC CHIEF OF THE SIXES, and the other side has a wreath and reads PRODUCT OF GENERAL MOTORS. Anyone know anything about these medallions?

Attachments

• jan14treasures.jpg
    jan14treasures.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,670
  • pontiac.jpg
    pontiac.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,668
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet!! WTG!!

T

TreasureTales

Very cool! The surprise inside was much better than Cracker Jacks!!!

The token may have been in conjunction with Pontiac automobiles being purchased by General Motors. But that is a wild guess on my part.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really unique finds, congrats! I did a little research, there are plenty of those tokens on E-Bay at various prices....also nothing stating how old the token is but in 1926 was the year when the "Pontiac, Chief of the Sixes" was introduced as 6 cylinders. Just google the name and it comes up with some unique stuff. ;D

;) RR

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is such a cool find! Great job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread