Looking for a detector for Gold huntin

Snocrash

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
ON order Gold Bug Pro.. T-minus a few days
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I was posting on metal detecting looking for a machine. ..

here's that link
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/414121-metal-detector-confusion.html

I wanted to spend approx 1500 i can spend more but as a newbie i just thought it unwise. , Been trying to pan now for a bit fun, haven't found anything but planning a trip deeper up stream once it melts and begins to run more , as chipping thru ice to stand in a whole to get river gravel is bloody cold. My whole problem is falling into the water as im sure it will happen and boom detector gone.. so i have been looking at the
AT gold , been told to look at Garrett's ATX .. I do live in northern Manitoba and was told by member 63bkpkr to maybe post over here as a couple Canadians may know more what i should be looking at, and will know what its like in back country Canada.
I currently have been looking at four steams there my targets at moment once spring thaw finally melt the stuff up there.. i primarily am planning on panning , but was hoping to add the metal detector to look in the water as i climb up the hills and streams ... i thought it could hurt... and also the easiest way in some these places is straight up the creek as bush very dense no one around for 100km sometimes more depending which way outta town i go..
To the north on some the lake systems i know of some streams and other hard to get places and one or two old abandoned gold mine.. Talking with MB resources .. the sites i mentioned to them were already reclaimed so long as no machinery .. said hammer away with a hammer an chisel on tailings and don't use any chemicals.. and stay clear of sealed shafts or open ones; panning and metal detecting go for it they said. also those sites are Canadian shield country and i do see lots of iron in the rocks laying around. ..
There is also the edge of lake Agassi left over from last ice age , nice escarpment of limestone and places sandy , but a drive away.. that's about all the terrain i can think off and a lot to try over next few summers.
So any suggestions in these types of terrain or a detector to look at.. for these types of terrain would be most helpful.
Sno

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For water work the Garrett ATX - period. The AT Gold doesn't even compare.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I'm doing serious recon work into an area I've never been before off trail (backpacking/prospecting) the Gold Bug Pro is usually machine of choice. Its rugged, light weight(uses one 9v battery) water resistant "enough" and will break down to nearly fit into a shoe box. This detector with rock hammer, BGT Super Mini, pan and a few crevicing/digging tools fit nicely into my pack with the rest of my gear for a week of sampling away from people.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq-warrantied for a lifetime,much cheaper than your massive figure,multi function with a full on disc for many uses be it gold,relics,beaches,parks whatever. I also carry at all times my GREAT ol'GB2 as never found a place one of my crew wouldn't shine-John

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with both Hard and Hoser - IF - you were not in the water most of the time.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help for a fellow Canadian

Lanny and Jim Hemingway - any thoughts?.....................63bkpkr

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny and Jim Hemingway - any thoughts?.....................63bkpkr

Herb… we all have our preferences for various applications, and of course there are the usual popular gold prospecting-capable detector choices that have been discussed endlessly on this forum. Consider the task at hand and select an appropriate detector to get it done. By and large there are only a handful of suitable choices available.

From the post above it appears that Snocrash intends to explore a few streams and work his way upstream into the bush… primarily panning… but wanting the option of using a metal detector. In the cold northern Manitoba streams Snocrash will be limited to sniping the shallows. His description above doesn't suggest that any deeper coldwater dredging, requiring special gear is in his immediate plans.

In fact… there is no indication in his post as to whether the streams he intends to explore actually carry any gold, let alone carry detectable gold. Abandoned mine tailings offer potential detecting if detectable native gold is present. Snocrash must do the necessary research to determine where the best opportunities exist in his area, prior to setting goals.

I suggest he stick with a suitable VLF unit initially. He is concerned about the hazards of losing his balance and submerging his detector. The AT Gold is a good choice for those conditions, although I don’t know firsthand how its sensitivity to small stuff compares to the reasonably priced, lightweight Gold Bug Pro… a proven effective unit. The Pro would be my choice, given that Snocrash is comfortable with it in and around the water. One can always wrap the electronics in plastic if necessary. Otherwise go with a different choice.

From all accounts the ATX is a good choice in the water. But as mentioned, I see nothing in Snocrash’s post to suggest there is any detectable gold present in the area. It makes it more difficult to rationalize purchasing an expensive first unit. In addition to other gear that needs to be backpacked, I think it would soon become a heavy, cumbersome unit for hiking any distance in the rough northern terrain of the Canadian Shield.

Jim.

OP
OP
S

Snocrash

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Pro would be my choice, given that Snocrash is comfortable with it in and around the water
-- Jim Hemmingway

I had almost made up my mind on the ATX , its expensive, but seems to do the job, But i have been leaning towards the goldbug pro , after reading up on it, i think for most the walk up i would be wrapping it , as i have stated i have no intention of going swiming but always seem i end up in the water.. But in doing all the research for this i have decided i kinda wanna look round some abandoned sites and places as trolling through all the fourms i like seeing all the history and objects ppl are pulling up, so now i'd like to do a bit of that . According to one local prospector the area where i am he has found gold, not lots, but i am just more looking to have a blast, with a buddy of mine. We've started this adventure , so far between two of us now no gold. but we have a few interesting rocks we've found possible one with platinum or silver were both computer geeks so kinda our way getting away from well computers. His wife thinks he's loonie , my wife says good your outta the house have fun. the places north in the shield rock, i know of one abandoned gold mine and i visited one approx 4-5 hr boat ride up through some lakes and down a river system to an island and there was lots of metal and junk lying everywhere, when i went to visit that place... but i did that last summer as the gov't was going in a week or two after i went there to bulldoze all the old machinery into a pit and concrete cap the old shaft . Not sure if any gold on those streams as i havent talked to anyone who's panned them or tried but i imagine if there was a mine there someone at somepoint has tried. So unless gold bug pro is useless at artifacts i dont think it is.. i was thinking those Lines..
Sno

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But in doing all the research for this i have decided i kinda wanna look round some abandoned sites and places as trolling through all the forums i like seeing all the history and objects people are pulling up, so now i'd like to do a bit of that. Not sure if any gold on those streams as i havent talked to anyone who's panned them or tried but i imagine if there was a mine there someone at somepoint has tried. So unless gold bug pro is useless at artifacts i dont think it is.. i was thinking those Lines..
Sno

Snocrash… a very good case can be made for purchasing a Gold Bug Pro if relic hunting is in your plans as you’ve indicated. It is a popular choice with relic hunters, and is capable of both shallow sub-grain gold and going deeper on larger gold. Regardless of what anyone suggests to you, I think you should do some responsible research and base your decision on detector features that appear to be best suited to your preferences. Good luck with your decision, and of course all the very best with your adventures this summer. :thumbsup:

Jim.

OP
OP
S

Snocrash

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Snocrash… a very good case can be made for purchasing a Gold Bug Pro if relic hunting is in your plans as you’ve indicated. It is a popular choice with relic hunters, and is capable of both shallow sub-grain gold and going deeper on larger gold. Regardless of what anyone suggests to you, I think you should do some responsible research and base your decision on detector features that appear to be best suited to your preferences. Good luck with your decision, and of course all the very best with your adventures this summer. :thumbsup:

Jim.

I decided last night to order a Gold Bug Pro, one on price , good start for a beginner; i thought seems to do, what i want to do.. I will update once i have it and have played with it a bit see what i find or dont find. Thanks for all the great advice..
Snocrash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread