Looking for advice on the treasure coast........

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I are taking a trip in December to the area around Sebastian. Looking for any tips/advice/or wise counsel from those that know. We are willing to travel anywhere up or down the coast, as this has been a longtime dream of ours, and we carved out the time to do it. It's a 900 mile drive to get there, so hoping to find a "little" bit of history.....any direction appreciated!

Kevin

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kevin that's where I live..
We just had a heck of a lot of erosion in the area you're heading.. several Spanish cobs were found immediately after the hurricane went by.. I'd focus on the Wabasso area in the south side of the Sebastian Inlet just about anywhere there's a good amount of visible erosion... we should have some good periods of Northwind before you get here in December that usually sets the stage for a good detecting conditions .

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AN HONEST MAN :thumbsup:... most others said there was no erosion at all and it was a waste of time for all to come down
on other sites guys told ones inquiring cause they wanted to travel down ...told them not to bother

Hey Kevin that's where I live..
We just had a heck of a lot of erosion in the area you're heading.. several Spanish cobs were found immediately after the hurricane went by.. I'd focus on the Wabasso area in the south side of the Sebastian Inlet just about anywhere there's a good amount of visible erosion... we should have some good periods of Northwind before you get here in December that usually sets the stage for a good detecting conditions .

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing these folks didn't think it wasn't worth it

Attachments

• 1478259407834.jpg
    1478259407834.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 1478259418092.jpg
    1478259418092.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 150
OP
OP
muttandjeeps

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GB, thanks for the reply.....It's really nice to get an honest (and informative) answer. I promise we won't take all the treasure ��. As a matter of fact, just the road trip, and the time with my son will make the trip a success.
Thanks!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pleasure... hey... I know how much effort and timing comes into play...If someone completely unfamiliar with the area can show up and beat me to a silver cob or something... I say more power to you....and... I should step up my game.
Good luck

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guessed as much, that place was just eroded from the hurricane - a great time to find treasure from the galleons that wrecked there 300 years ago. So wish I could go down there. Undoubtedly lots of Spanish treasure to be found. And you can bet that 90%+ of treasure found there will never be reported to any internet forum, so the fact that a lot of reports are coming in of treasure down there, there have to be ten times as much that we don't know of being found right now.
:tchest:

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I are taking a trip in December to the area around Sebastian. Looking for any tips/advice/or wise counsel from those that know. We are willing to travel anywhere up or down the coast, as this has been a longtime dream of ours, and we carved out the time to do it. It's a 900 mile drive to get there, so hoping to find a "little" bit of history.....any direction appreciated!

Kevin
2 words "Gary Drayton"

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary looks out for Numero Uno first I can tell you that

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would contact Gary Drayton. You can say whatever you want about him but he's found by far the best 1715 ring ever found on the treasure coast. Back when I was a contracted 1715 salvage boat I often would see Gary on the beaches in some of my favorite areas. When it comes to the treasure coast there aren't many secret beaches. It's about the right place at the right time. Gary is a nice guy and he'll share some good tips on what to look for. I have sent more than one person who was visiting the area to him and all of them said he was very helpful.
Ok, enough on Gary.... if I were you I would research the conditions that are more conducive to metal detecting and what beaches on the treasure coast are effected under them. I read the treasure beach blog but often his reports are a few days behind. Some resources that you can use are the Sebastian inlet web cams for real time views of the beach and any of the live weather stations for wind and wave conditions.
Good luck, happy hunting, and most importantly have fun.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would contact Gary Drayton. You can say whatever you want about him but he's found by far the best 1715 ring ever found on the treasure coast. Back when I was a contracted 1715 salvage boat I often would see Gary on the beaches in some of my favorite areas. When it comes to the treasure coast there aren't many secret beaches. It's about the right place at the right time. Gary is a nice guy and he'll share some good tips on what to look for. I have sent more than one person who was visiting the area to him and all of them said he was very helpful.
Ok, enough on Gary.... if I were you I would research the conditions that are more conducive to metal detecting and what beaches on the treasure coast are effected under them. I read the treasure beach blog but often his reports are a few days behind. Some resources that you can use are the Sebastian inlet web cams for real time views of the beach and any of the live weather stations for wind and wave conditions.
Good luck, happy hunting, and most importantly have fun.
Gary was at the beach with his wife and just took a little stroll with his detector when he found that ring... it wasn't brain surgery and it wasn't a secret spot.
A few of my friends Work Salvage right now... off season now but you know what I mean.. my friend that works on the Capitana did quite well this past season.

Last edited:

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's doesn't matter if he found it on a little stroll with the family or after a storm... he found it. He was in the right place at the right time. That single find is still one of the best finds ever on the treasure coast. IMO, It ranks up there with the Bird Bonnie found.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't argue that...that ring is amazing... gotta love the Treasure coast

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-)

Attachments

• 1478734299384.jpg
    1478734299384.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 86

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ah, some of Brent's booty. He had a great year last year. I talked to him the other day and he said "after finding all those coins it was going to be tough to ever top that" That truly was a once in a life time find for him and his crew.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, some of Brent's booty. He had a great year last year. I talked to him the other day and he said "after finding all those coins it was going to be tough to ever top that" That truly was a once in a life time find for him and his crew.
Yes sir... he probably won't top it...*** ******** **** *** ** *** ********** so to speak... anyway...later days and better....waves

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him next time you see him that ARC from Tnet said...

It can be topped. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread