✅ SOLVED Looking for an aprox date on this button.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 33

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a 1920's overall button by Southern Overall Company (formerly Baltimore Overall Company) for their B&O Brand overalls, which had nothing to do with the B&O Railroad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.58.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.58.47 PM.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's the cupola of the Baltimore City Hall which the Baltimore & Ohio railroad used as their logo, but I'm confused by the letters M.F.G.CO at the top.

B&O.jpg

The B & O certainly expanded their operations by a series of mergers and partnerships to the extent that over the years there have been dozens of now defunct railroad companies operating as part of the B & O network but I can't find any reference to a company with those initials.

I can't help with the age of the button but, to add to the mystery, here's a similar one with company initials of S.O. Co. and I can't find any reference to that company either.

Baltimore.jpg

I thought at first that your button said "B & O BRANCH", which would have made sense but it's clearer from the S.O. Co. button the the word is "BRAND" not "BRANCH", which makes rather less sense if it's from a railroad company. That button was also believed by the seller to be related to the B & O Railroad, but no view was given on exactly how it's related, nor on the date for the button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah... Mud Hut replied while I was composing my post. Makes complete sense now, and the S.O. Co is for the Southern Overalls Company.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming back to the question of date, it seems that the Baltimore Overall Manufacturing Company had gone bust by 1913. They were the subject of an adjudication on 24th June 1913 relating to payment of a dividend to a stakeholder while in receivership, in which it was stated that they were “an insolvent corporation and now in the hands of receivers, appointed by the Circuit Court of Baltimore City, to administer and wind up its affairs, under the supervision of that Court.”

The Southern Overall Company must have been in existence before that since there are trademark applications by the company from at least as early as 7th February 1911. Perhaps they bought out the remaining assets and trademarks of the Baltimore Overall Manufacturing Company in 1913.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread