What's new

Looking for rocks

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
947
Golden Thread
0
Heading to western South Dakota. Any suggestions on where to look for some rocks? PM if you care to share a spot or two.
 
Upvote 0
I'd look around the Missouri river. ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself....
 
I'd say any spot near a good water source would produce artifacts. Stop by a few farms and see if you can get permission.
 
Looking for knapping rock source in the Rapid City area. We can travel to suggested areas.
 
Stop by my place. You drive right by on 90
 
There is a French Creek chert from the Custer area. Perhaps if you can locate french creek.....?

Also there is a nice red material similar to Hixton called Battle Mountain Chert, that's in Fall River County out there......Find battle mtn.
In the same county, there is a White Horse Creek chert as well........ Maybe locate White Horse Creek.
Fall River co is Hot Springs and south

Sheperdess. a past forum poster is in Sturgis, I know she hunts some right around there. I can sure get you in touch with her. She just helped out a friend of mine yesterday with a bunch of petrified wood she and her sisters have for sale. Some nice stuff too.

On your way back, I can show you examples.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom