What's new

Looks like a tool but not sure

hunter2665

Full Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2014
Messages
161
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Hi everyone
Looking for some help to see if anyone thinks this could be an artifact of some sorts. Found it in south ga along the coast. To me the perfect round hole in it is strange.
Tx in advance.
 

Attachments

  • image-1442223131.webp
    image-1442223131.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image-21337570.webp
    image-21337570.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 134
  • image-27405677.webp
    image-27405677.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-700860145.webp
    image-700860145.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3377644489.webp
    image-3377644489.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1597038794.webp
    image-1597038794.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
Idk boss but it sure looks like it could b maybe someone else will know ;)
 
Painterx7
Tx for the input and I hope someone does know.
 
It immediately makes me think of a banner stone but the angle of the photos have me all confused I'm not sure the hole is going in the right direction through the material.. a closer look at the hole itself would help to tell if it has been drilled or not
 
Gatorboy here are a few better pics of the hole. And what is a banner stone?
 

Attachments

  • image-4098857007.webp
    image-4098857007.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image-973649434.webp
    image-973649434.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1335010482.webp
    image-1335010482.webp
    17 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3578010672.webp
    image-3578010672.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 123
That looks like a banner there to me but I've never found or held one lol still lookin
 
Tx painterx7 we also found this I believe is obsidian since it chips like glass, light weight and shiny. The strange thing is that we're finding this stuff in dredging from rivers. Which hold shark teeth going back a million years.
 

Attachments

  • image-2501663442.webp
    image-2501663442.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3777166584.webp
    image-3777166584.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 120
There's definitely some damage and weathering but I would say you found yourself a banner stone.. it was used on an atlatl as a counterweight.
 
Last edited:
That second piece is slag
 
Thanks Gatorboy that's awesome. But can you tell me what an atlatl is lol. Any idea of age?
 
Yup slag glass gator is right again ;)
 
Ok that's Kool to I guess. But the banner stone sounds better to me lol. Thanks guys you've been a great help.
 
Ok guys one more to figure out. You guys are smart. Been driving me crazy what this is. This stone is magnetic. Flakes easy with a screw driver and loaded with shiny silver stuff. And it sticks to my earth magnet. The inside of the stone is loaded with this silver stuff.
 

Attachments

  • image-2446251598.webp
    image-2446251598.webp
    79.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image-4058481139.webp
    image-4058481139.webp
    137.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1839409208.webp
    image-1839409208.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1413935557.webp
    image-1413935557.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image-167679697.webp
    image-167679697.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 105
Meteorite ???? I have no idea
 
If it is a meteorite it could be extremely valuable just saying
 
I think your rock is natural with the holes. The inside of the holes should show evidence of drilling. It looks like a river cobble with a hole in it.
The silver/goldish rock is common in the mountains of ga. It come apart very easy. The creeks are full of it.
PA140254.webp
 
Last edited:
You could definitely be right about that TN.
I may have used a little wishful thinking.. But I also thought there was the possibility even if it were an artifact and spent a long time in a river it could end up looking like that
 
Sorry but I think your Banner stone is a natural. I think the holes are possibly worm holes in fossilized bone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom