What's new

Looks like a tool but not sure

hunter2665

Full Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2014
Messages
161
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Hi everyone
Looking for some help to see if anyone thinks this could be an artifact of some sorts. Found it in south ga along the coast. To me the perfect round hole in it is strange.
Tx in advance.
 

Attachments

  • image-1442223131.webp
    image-1442223131.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image-21337570.webp
    image-21337570.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 134
  • image-27405677.webp
    image-27405677.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-700860145.webp
    image-700860145.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3377644489.webp
    image-3377644489.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1597038794.webp
    image-1597038794.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
We'll I guess it's official. It was wishful thinking on my part. But I'm not giving up. Ever lol
 
It's a broken banner stone, reworked into an effigy. A bird effigy of some sort. Nice find!!
 
Get some sleep NC
 
Why say this and stir the pot more?? It is neither of those things.
That's what I see. I guess Larson's bird effigy made of bone is the image that I associated this piece with. I posted before I read. Am I forgiven?? I have seen broken banners re-drilled. The curve in this piece looks kinda like a banner broken at the hole. The hole in it looks like a bannerstone hole that minerals have started binding to. The second hole through my vision looks like the nostril of a bird. The stone looks pretty polished at one spot. The stone is layered like slate. I'm not trying to start any thing. Just wrote what I saw. Can you take us through a journey of what you see? I don't doubt you're call is correct. Not for a minute! Tell us what you see.
 
I can see what nc is saying. I pulled up this pic of a bird effigy and there is some rough similarities. Not saying it is. Just saying though. Here's a pic of what I found in my search and what I found.
 

Attachments

  • image-2511436483.webp
    image-2511436483.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2836621890.webp
    image-2836621890.webp
    39 KB · Views: 93
I can see what nc is saying. I pulled up this pic of a bird effigy and there is some rough similarities. Not saying it is. Just saying though. Here's a pic of what I found in my search and what I found.
Thanks for being cool about what I saw (see). What I was really wanting to get across to you is, don't toss your find. Someone can look at it in person and see what a photo will never show.
 
Nc I never throw things that interest me away lol
 
Based on the thread title I was afraid I'd find a picture of me posted in the OP.
 
I can see what nc is saying. I pulled up this pic of a bird effigy and there is some rough similarities. Not saying it is. Just saying though. Here's a pic of what I found in my search and what I found.


The major difference in your piece and that piece in your post is the holes. Your is not drilled. It is caused by something, probably a fossil, eroding out. They are referred to as Vugs. Yours may be similar in appearance but they are not the same thing. That other piece is obviously worked and holes have been drilled.

NC, sorry if I came off a little harsh. It's just that I see this all the time where someone will post something like this and several people that are very knowledgeable will say it is natural and then someone will come along and call it an Effigy and that is all the persons sees or hears. They forget all about the numerous people who told him exactly what it was and go away believing they have found the Holy Grail. I apologize if I offended you. Wasn't my intentions.
 
The major difference in your piece and that piece in your post is the holes. Your is not drilled. It is caused by something, probably a fossil, eroding out. They are referred to as Vugs. Yours may be similar in appearance but they are not the same thing. That other piece is obviously worked and holes have been drilled. NC, sorry if I came off a little harsh. It's just that I see this all the time where someone will post something like this and several people that are very knowledgeable will say it is natural and then someone will come along and call it an Effigy and that is all the persons sees or hears. They forget all about the numerous people who told him exactly what it was and go away believing they have found the Holy Grail. I apologize if I offended you. Wasn't my intentions.
It's all good Reaper! However, can you tell us how to determine a vug between a drilled piece? Sorry if I got snappy.
 
It's Kool reaper. That's why we post things on here. For advise from people who have the knowledge we don't have. Then we sit back and scratch our chins and say hmmmm. Lol
 
imo its a flint piece I see that type in the fields where creeks use to be. It shows normal cortex for creek flint that has sat outside in the sun and winter for a long period of time. It is a type of patina but doesn't show any signs of it being altered by human hands.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom