Lost Gold of the Aztecs - Who Watched?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I hadn't heard of this but I will check it out and report back. Wasn't there a similar series a few years back where they found a face mask or something diving with metal detectors? - I will have to dig around and see if I can find it.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just watched the 1st episode on the History Channel. Looks promising was hoping to see the guys at the old quarry site break out the metal detectors. - The whole premise seems bizarre to me that somehow there is some secreted knowledge that the Mayans buried gold to hide it from the Spanish. I'd say a more likely stash is due to problems the Spanish had at a mine site or in transporting the goods. I know W.C. Jameson has a lot of stories in his books about these hidden mines full of silver, gold bars and lost treasure while transporting.

- I suppose anything is possible as the Spanish had to get their Silver and gold from somewhere and there is probably a lost stash or buried deposit somewhere to be found. Should be interesting with these modern Drones and Lidar if they are able to locate anything.

I'll tune in for Episode 2

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it last night. Utah Seems a loooooong way for the Aztecs to travel to hide their treasure.Must be a million places closer along the way.:icon_scratch:

vinnywop

Oct 9, 2020
Stafford, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show premiered last night. Did you watch? Your thoughts? Will you continue to watch?
DVR'ed it and watched it today Terry. I thought the first show was pretty cool. Although I will say I can easily see this getting boring quickly if it's week after week of dead ends/nothing new. I mean that is the nature of treasure hunting but I can do that myself without watching it on TV lol. I will watch at least the next few episodes and see what happens though.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be honest. I FF'd to Kevin Hoagland, because I have met and spoken with him many times. I met him for the first time when he still worked for Minelab. It did not take long for me to recognize the dreaded "formula," all of the lost treasure shows follow.

Like "Gold Rush," this is a show I'll tape, then watch in fast forward until something catches my eye. I watch Gold Rush in about 10-minutes, including the gold weighs which interest me most. I'm rooting for Team Hoagland, but the show seems boring so far.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be honest. I FF'd to Kevin Hoagland, because I have met and spoken with him many times. I met him for the first time when he still worked for Minelab. It did not take long for me to recognize the dreaded "formula," all of the lost treasure shows follow.

Like "Gold Rush," this is a show I'll tape, then watch in fast forward until something catches my eye. I watch Gold Rush in about 10-minutes, including the gold weighs which interest me most. I'm rooting for Team Hoagland, but the show seems boring so far.
I think its pretty sketchy finding a mine from that era in Nevada, the one in Utah that's been going on forever.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Rush is at times interesting,but they seem to spend more time fixing the equipment and arguing than actually mining. Not to mention it involves millions of dollars of equipment that few people can afford. I,d love to see a show that,s relevant to the guy with a pan or a sluice looking to find a little gold.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Episode 2 dropped and they pulled out the Garret Apex and the AT Maxx. Looks like a terrible place to metal detect for any machine. I'm still interested to see if they find anything deeper in the mine shaft.

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched both shows. It is well done. Know Kevin Hoagland leader of one of the teams.

Back maybe in 2014 when he was doing Gold Trails TV show he invited me down to a Sierra Nevada mother lode claim of GPAA for a filming of the show to do some blasting. It is the same blaster we have seen in Aztec Gold show intro, blasting the side of a tunnel with red rubber rings on the blast heads.

I am the inventor of it, the SierraBlaster. Kevin is one of the first people to ever see it used. We had fun blasting boulders to get under them for gold. He said on camera that it was the most revolutionary thing for small scale gold mining he had seen in years. He had a blasting license, but SierraBlaster requires no Federal blasting license, no record keeping, etc. That is why he was so impressed.

Am guessing what they are using it for is they can see parallel tunnels in ancient mine they are searching via ground radar and are blasting thru thinking that might be where treasure is. This is same system that GoldRush Whitewater show uses underwater on boulders. This video shows shows Dustin Hurt getting really big gold nuggets under a boulder he blasted, he becomes euphorically happy and giddy, very cool highlight video I never get tried of watching that video. Here is another that shows how it works

Hope one of the teams does find something. It is a long shot, people have been looking for centuries. On other hand sometimes you find things that you were not looking for, maybe Kevin will find a gold deposit.

Last edited:

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thought. Maybe others caught this too. The narrator says carbon dioxide gas danger in mine. Gotta think that is Carbon Monoxide which is a common and deadly danger. Volcanoes give off CO2, but in an old gold mine anyone hear of CO2 danger instead of carbon monoxide?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thought. Maybe others caught this too. The narrator says carbon dioxide gas danger in mine. Gotta think that is Carbon Monoxide which is a common and deadly danger. Volcanoes give off CO2, but in an old gold mine anyone hear of CO2 danger instead of carbon monoxide?
Yes I have its called Black Damp and it will send you to the promise land fast. But it is usually found in coal mines.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen many Spanish started mines. I have seen treasure found in Chihuahua. I don't believe most of the many stories I have heard. The one about the priest hiding 3 clay pots full of gold nuggets has some merit. I don't believe either that the Aztec Gold made it to Utah or New Mexico.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen many Spanish started mines. I have seen treasure found in Chihuahua. I don't believe most of the many stories I have heard. The one about the priest hiding 3 clay pots full of gold nuggets has some merit. I don't believe either that the Aztec Gold made it to Utah or New Mexico.
Were do you think it ended up at.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not watch it. I was wondering if it was worth watching ? Opinions please ?

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not watch it. I was wondering if it was worth watching ? Opinions please ?
I'm not watching anymore Gary. After the first two episodes it reminds me of the Oak Island show. Lots of Drama, very little Treasure!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not watching anymore Gary. After the first two episodes it reminds me of the Oak Island show. Lots of Drama, very little Treasure!
Good point Terry thanks

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was betting on the guys from New Mexico but they pulled out brand new metal detectors and that’s just a dead giveaway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread