Lost Mines in Mexico - An Important Discovery by H.O. Flipper August 21, 1889

Hello Don

Thank you. This forum malarkey is at its best when we enthusiasts come together and share thoughts and ideas and support one another.

The Cocos Island story you mention is a spoof im afraid from a newspaper that makes up outlandish stories. I had to check it a few times to verify this.

I've got some other possible projects that are 'doable' which I will try to run past Kanacki before he takes to the seas again. I have started working part-time and looking into treasure opportunities full-time.

Good talking to you guys.

IPUK

Hello Don

Thank you. This forum malarkey is at its best when we enthusiasts come together and share thoughts and ideas and support one another.

The Cocos Island story you mention is a spoof im afraid from a newspaper that makes up outlandish stories. I had to check it a few times to verify this.

I've got some other possible projects that are 'doable' which I will try to run past Kanacki before he takes to the seas again. I have started working part-time and looking into treasure opportunities full-time.

Good talking to you guys.

IPUK

IPUK careful what you wish for my friend. Even the most doable projects have many unforeseen problems. And that is before you actually find some thing. And remember the humble treasure hunter is only a tiny minnow in a sea of sharks.

Don Jose I do not envie your position in negotiating a mining contract. The mining game is an utterly ruthless one. I could tell of you all of many stories of really what goes on behind corporate doors. One of greatest scandals as of late is the sale of Gold mine for 100 dollars in the Solomon Islands. yep you read it 100 bucks.

4249330-3x2-940x627.jpg

5413312-3x2-940x627.jpg

stefan_solomons_mine_small.jpg

Sound too good to be true. Well perhaps it is....

Kanacki

Last edited:
At first it must be seen as the deal of the century? Yet a closer look behind the smoke and mirrors will reveal the deal is from hell.

The mining Company St Barbara's "Simberi gold mine" on the Guadalcanal Solomon Islands. Has be sold for 100 dollars to local land holder. Sounds like a gold mine deal of the century?

No one in their right mind would take it on. As ownership has been transferred for 100$ dollars so has the Liabilities.

St Barbara acquired the Simberi gold mine in 2012. In 2013 the plant was being expanded to 3.5 million tonnes per year capacity with installation of a SAG mill designed to lift gold output towards a run rate of 100,000 ounces per annum. By 2014 production ran just 11000 ounces of gold. With Falling gold commodity prices, the mine became unprofitable at current gold value levels. Worse sill was looming Environmental disaster as the Tailings dam is full to capacity of heavily polluted water which is on verge of failing. Instead of recapitalization they cut their losses passed it on and thus all its liabilities to a very stupid land holder now left with a ticking time bomb. If the dam fails then the land owner who has bought the mine takes the liability. Total loss of tailings dam would cost around 1 Billion dollars in damages in punitive damages. However The landowner is broke. So in effect the Mining company has dodged its liability to the people in the Solomon Islands.

Kanacki

Last edited:
Kanacki, I have never explained the geology of Tayopa, as I see it, to you, so to fill you., and the readers in --------

'the formation of the Tayopa complex was due to a volcanic uplift of the 800 ft. basaltic layer, fracturing it both verticslly and horizonall, forming voids for the deposition of rich Hydro Thermal soloutions both horizontlly and vertically. It also led to many very narrow, deep canyons that were rich on both sides.

There was a reson for Tayopa being called the richest mine in North America.

Hola Don Jose

Have had any exploratory test drilling core samples done at the site?

Kanacki

Nope, no money as usual :laughing7::laughing7:

Even got into an argumnt with the head geologist of one of the majors. He insisted that Tayopa couldn't exist in the Basalt. He didn't know about the intrusion, and I didn't enlighten him. because of his supperior attitude.

Last edited:
Hey Kanacki

Totally get your point regarding being careful about entering the treasure game. From my first few tentative steps I have quickly surmised is that, having local expertise and knowledge are what is going to make any venture possibly successful as oppose to unsuccessful. Keeping a small 'inner core' of team members who share your aims and objectives and have the same stake holding as you, is another.

You have to have the drive, stubbornness, ability to take a risk or two, remaining absolutely clear minded when under pressure and always looking to fulfil your mission regardless of how tits-up something is looking.

There is a place in India that I have visited and am interested in exploring further. There is a river associated with this place that was considered 'holy' by ancient royalty who would make incredible offerings of Kashmiri sapphires, Burmese rubies, Indian diamonds and pure gold, in the hope of securing some favour from the gods. It is fair to say that a huge amount has been recovered and the river is no big secret locally. But what might remains, is what intrigues me. In a massive river, which swells with the monsoon rains, how many small gems might still lie in its crevices?

I'm sure you get my drift...

I've been trying to contact the Indian state departments for details on how to apply for permits etc., but that bureaucratic machine in absolutely unbelievable. Local leaders say that you can simply turn up

With your team, pay the local community 'leaders' and carry on with your work.

What would you make of such a scenario given the location, local culture and customs and of course the possible outcome end product of such endeavours?

Hola IPIU

I Gather your thoughts are perhaps on the Krishna River, one of the longest rivers in central-southern India or one of the other 7 holy rivers of India?

Here is a few thoughts..... For starters you have to look at the project holistically and have a reasonable business plan and back up plan for such eventualities. This is by no means not only things to consider...Just some things you may face.

I suspect you would want to operate in non monsoon weather when the river levels and current flow is slow enough to operate a pontoon dredge effectively. Of course You got to get the locals onside by employing some of them. And most likely you have to make a sacrifice to the river gods to appease most locals as are superstitious of any mishap. In Reality many things could go wrong, Having a good cultural understanding of Hindu culture will help as well as other local sects. Logistics depending on equipment either imported or locally sources? Plus spares. I can almost guarantee you the part you have not got is part that breaks. Will the divers be local or flown in? Airfares with unforeseen permits? Emergency money built into the equation? Another factor is being able to get any gemstones out of country you may need a exporters permit? Also when dealing with the government they will always feel more comfortable working with a legally registered company than a single person entity. Another factor is security. No fun in being robbed of your hard won diamonds. Or by low paid government officials all of a sudden getting greedy.

Once you get them out of the country you can still have some problems. Most of big Diamond houses that buy gemstones are adopting United Nations policy against blood diamonds. Diamonds can only be bought by them as it is their reputations are at risk, providing provenance can be shown and proved. Especially in large commercial qualities. Then there is the cost a grading each diamond. The Gem Houses in Amsterdam will grade on flaws and clarity and photograph each diamond matrix like a fingerprint. Even with older gemstones if they not rough but cut they can tell the style and type of cut weather it was a modern or ancient cut. Provence of Rubies as well as Sapphires may also be required. Selling to small Jewelry house may have its own set of problems as they do not have the cash flow for one large transaction. And problem these days many buyers are worried that your a front for an extremist group fundraising. Over a certain size transaction they are legally required to report you to Authorities. So setting up a business net work is some times is a little more complex than imagined than just turning up with stones to sell.

I Heard of a cigar smoking American that has worked several rivers for Diamonds and gold all over the world. Robert Towner or Downer, I think his name is? He would be the best person to ask about that potential success of that type of work as he has done several expeditions to India.

Anyway that is few things to be aware of.

Kanacki

Last edited:
Hi Kanacki

Many thanks for your valued and respected words of advice matey.

The river is not a 'main' and well-known one and is situated in the northwest/central part of the country. It is pretty polluted now and has sizeable settlements on both sides. There are local swimmers who will act as divers/labourers/assistants/runners - whatever you need them to do - for a small daily allowance. Whether they would be any use in recovering valuables is another point, but my local associate there has full confidence in them and wants me to handle the selling aspect if anything decent crops up. I have done the rounds in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Switzerland, Mumbai and a short trip to Dubai, to set-up a network of contacts who may be interested should we recover anything of value and wish to sell it. It is a very opaque business on that side and you truly need your wits and confidence about should the brown stuff hit the fan.

I have also heard of that American chap you mention and I am not sure if he is the same fella that organised the group that is looking/looked into rivers near the famous old Golcanda diamond mines in central India.

My contact there wants to handle the logistics there by keeping it all extremely small-scale and localised and with me bringing in some folks to oversee the running. Even in this day and age, the people there do not know the value of a sapphire, ruby or diamond but will attempt to appropriate any gold that turns up. The nearest gem dealers are like a world away from them and they would rather sell it to you, locally, for a few hundred than travel distances to obtain thousands. if you win their trust and treat them in a civil and fair manner without any prejudice or patronising, they will respond positively. They also don't gave a rat's arse for the central authorities and are sick of all the corruption that exists in some quarters. They just want to live in a manner that allows them to raise their families without having to worry where the next meal is coming from.

I would give absolutely anything to have one of the famous(infamous to some) triumvirate of you chaps by my side.....:notworthy:

Please let me show my thanks for you taking the time and effort to reply to my query.

IPUK

Last edited:
Hola IPIU

Thank you for complement. Its good to see your have potential business networks in those countries.

Just make sure you workers get a fair deal. That half the battle when managing such operation. As the divers will be taking the risks. There is a few other things to be cautious of in Indian Rivers. As well as raw sewage and pollution in some places. Traditionally Hindu bodies are disposed of through various sacred rivers. Over 2 thousand or so years that has been done. While the rich are cremated then the ashes tipped into the river. The poor are just usually dumped into the river left to rot. The local catfish population has grown to extrodinary size feeding off decaying bodies in the river. The fish called the "Goonch" has been known to drown people in water.

You can get good information from the Geology survey of India website especially standard operating procedures of identifying gems. Best if you can get yourself some Clerici's Solution which has been adjusted to specific gravity of 3.6 with distilled water.

Diamonds have a specific gravity of 3.52 and will float in Clerici's solution if properly adjusted. Diamonds have 10 on the Monhs scale for hardness.

Sapphire has a specific gravity of 3.95 - 4.11 and will sink in Cerici's solution of 3.6. Sapphire is a 9 on the Monhs scale hardness.

Ruby has specific gravity of 3.96 - 4.01 and will also sink in Cerici,s solution And is rate 9 on the Monhs Scale for hardness

Yes I think it is the same American, If it is a small operation some thing like this will do in picture below. Apparently his operation.

barge with diamond sluice.jpg

One other thing I might have some thing of interest. But it late after a few beers I have had playing pool under a large mango tree had done the trick on me tonight..

Kanacki

Last edited:
Hi Kanacki

Absolutely true and a very astute observation. Unfortunately the swimmers/divers there, don't worry about such things and when told by us about this, usually thank us for our concern and then jump in! I have witnessed the things you speak of and it is never easy to see or accept but I have come to the realisation that this is why the world is so diverse.

For what is being put in by the way of resources, even if we get 'lucky' in recovering a single item, the chances are that we'll make a good return. Of course nothing is straight forward, but I am approaching this as a 'test' and a learning curve where the speculation will more than likely offer no success. But if it does....

I feel committed to doing something and whatever the outcome, my passport is going to have a few entry and exit stamps from some exotic locations and I am going to be away from my family, home and work for some extended periods.

I shall more than likely loose/spend more than what I earn and come across periods where I think "what am I doing?" but it will pass and I am committed to this new career. No going back now.

Last edited:
Hola IPIU

Some times we all tend to wrap ourselves up with the what if? It comes a time in everyone's life to step out into the void and challenge the unknown. Success or failure you will be stronger for it. I wish you the very best with your venture. Please do keep us informed of your progress.

Well Don Jose Once a gain to pull up anchor as I have to clear the coast of New Ireland before a storm sets in. I will not quite make it before the reefs but have better option in open sea. I bid you all the best of good fortune.

Until next time.

Kanacki

Hola Don Jose then tired old trio must be slipping up these days.:laughing7:

Kanacki

Hola Don Jose I was never anything but a one finger typist.

Tropical storm was heavy rain not a cyclone. Like with every storm cell change in pressure brings wind with it. That said you away keep a weather eye on them. I am anchored off a mission station in Bouganville visiting old friend of mine. We had a falling out many years ago but have since buried the hatchet a few years ago. Both realized we are getting a little too old for that crap. That said I think he enjoys me calling in every now and again as he been living on this island for 20 odd years. He has never left it and gone native.

He saw many massacres during the Bouganville war. However he is actively helping to rebuild the country. Bougainville culture is based on the wantok system. Wantok, or ‘one talk’, refers to the people who speak your language – your extended family/clan. People’s primary loyalty is to their wantoks. The region is predominantly Christian, made up mostly of Catholic, Seventh Day Adventist and United Church congregations. Buka Town is on a strait that cuts through the north of Bouganville island proper. The following picture with a rainbow my friend is poetic as both sides of the strait there is massive copper gold reserves virtually untouched. so the pot of gold on this occasion is truly at the end of the rainbow.

I will be sailing after the week end on a slow sail to Micronesia. The wind is fickle in these seas to the north.

BUCKA BOUGANVILLE.jpg

Kanacki

Hello Kanacki

Good to hear that things are well in your part of the world.

You fellas will never retire from this game. It is ingrained in you and the smallest thing piques your curiosity and you chaps go out of your way to help get information, details and research for a fellow enthusiast. That is the sign of a fully fledged member of the World of Adventurers Club, which has an unwritten constitution and its premises are wherever you meet another devotee.

I think it would take a week or two or a month, in one of those curious naughty but nice titty bars where our brethren sometimes feel at home after shovelling faecal matter, be it on a lonely mountain top, steaming jungle or desert, and even then one would only hope to scratch the surface with the Trio.

I suppose its a reason to ensure that I visit such establishments on my travels if it means I might get the valued opportunity to actually meet one of you guys.

Will touch base and update as and when anything of note happens.

IPUK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back