cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I do yard sales even if I do not see any coins I always ask if they have "any old coins or jewelry" Three times this weekend it worked. The first two times the people had coins but had not thought about selling them. One went in and grabbed a small handful and asked if this was what I meant. Yes, it was but she wanted to count them and asked me to get in touch in a few days. The 2nd time the guy took me into his house and showed me his silver but said he didn't have time right now to let me count and make an offer. He wanted me to come back during the week. He only had one helper for his yard sale and he wanted to be out there. (there was a LOT of coin, I am guessing at least $150-200 face value)

Now the 3rd one he went in and got a huge fishing tackle box. (it wasn't full though :( ) and started pulling out little brown envelopes and baggies. I said I would like to look at all and make a lump sum offer. So 20 min later I made my offer and it took him 2 seconds to accept. :thumbsup: I paid him a grand total of $168 for $220 raw silver value. We were both happy. I knew most of what I bought is strictly junk silver but in the batch was also.
4 silver rounds
1 peace dollar 1922
5 morgans 1880, 1921, 1921S, 1899O, 1879
13 barber dimes
1 barber half 1903O
1 seated quarter 1876
2 seated half dimes 1858, 1858O

I paid him a little extra for all of the above, except the dimes.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice too see that the coins went to one of us who knows about them and knows their worth. I cringe when old coins fall into the wrong hands.

AzHal

May 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Great find this past weekend on the Silver, alls I found was crappola but did get 20 year old set of encyclopedias for $3

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
The 2nd time the guy took me into his house and showed me his silver but said he didn't have time right now to let me count and make an offer. He wanted me to come back during the week. He only had one helper for his yard sale and he wanted to be out there. (there was a LOT of coin, I am guessing at least $150-200 face value)
BAD NEWS FOR ME >:( >:(

I did a follow up call last night to this guy. He changed his mind. He decided to save it and wait for silver to go back up. Good for him :thumbsup: bad for me :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread