What's new

Louisiana Purchase

TxTim

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
2,735
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
My territory for work purposes encompasses the Gulf coast and Louisiana is part of it- duh!
We are so busy that I don't cover it like I should. That means I really don't have any time to make a raid into LJ land and haven't except once this year. Furthermore, hitting any bank while on the road is usually tough due to time constraints. I know where LJ is and give her a wide berth (I hope).
I did get to a couple banks on 7/17 and picked off:

7-17.webp

42x1,64x4, 66x2, 67x3, 68x2, 69 x6 and a 71s.

The following day I had a chance to buy my first ever bag. I was very excited when I asked for halves in an old bank in a small town. The teller had 19 in the tray which I could see - no silver. I then asked about rolls in the vault and she told me they only had a bag that had taken a long time to fill from their tills. She also suggested it had been in there a while. She couldn't believe it when I told her I'd take it!
She and an officer went back and I heard them drag it off the shelf- no doubt silver was jingling. She came back and started to say something when she saw 5 - $100 bills on the counter.

"That was what I wanted - to find out how you were going to buy it - OK - we'll run it through the machine and verify the total"

"Don't worry about it - let me look at it - I'm sure it's all there"

When I saw it, I could see multiple silvers through the yellowing clear bag. ;) Heart started pounding!!!
I could sense that they were pleased to get rid of it but they had no idea how pleased I was.
I got into the truck and headed toward my next stop, slitting the top open with my pocket knife as I drove. I grabbed a handful and was floored - 12 -40% in one grab!!! I immediately thought about the post awhitster made about the dream bag he found. I had to pull over and peek. Damn, I wanted to quit for the day and start sorting! Silver everywhere!!!
When I finally got the chance to sort it out it became obvious that the tellers were savvy to 90% halves - didn't find a single one but I did manage to keep 412 - 40%r's!!! ;D

drbag.webp

65x16, 66x51, 67x169, 68x126 & 69X50.

A little later that day I found a few more over by the Big Easy:

7-18.webp

64x2, 66x2, 67x5, 68x4, 69x1.

Thanks LJ!!!
 
Upvote 0
Great job Tim!! Very nice haul. The place you got the bag has never been visted by me......darn.....ha! You have the knack of hitting them big. I don't know how you do it but you are like the energizer bunny...you just keep going and going and going.........

Again, congrats on a nice road trip...they are so much fun.

Hurry back to this area.

BTW - Your welcome... ;)
 
lejeuene said:
Great job Tim!! Very nice haul. The place you got the bag has never been visted by me......darn.....ha! You have the knack of hitting them big. I don't know how you do it but you are like the energizer bunny...you just keep going and going and going.........

Again, congrats on a nice road trip...they are so much fun.

Hurry back to this area.

BTW - Your welcome... ;)

You're too nice, LJ!
Thank you.

Those 40%r's almost sunk my pirogue!
 
Heck of a hit, that would have sunk my boat for sure! See, if that bag had made it back to the fed, it would have made up 4-5 good boxes, but you avoided the middleman. :D Congrats.
RDog
 
Riverdog said:
See, if that bag had made it back to the fed, it would have made up 4-5 good boxes, but you avoided the middleman. :D Congrats.
RDog

Exactly!!! And a very good chance that I would have ended up with those boxes.......aaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Tim.....we need to talk......ha!
 
Great bag, congrats. It almost beats my 431 0's I found in a bag. I also found 6 - 1954's.
 
TxTim, youre nuts! You keep nailing very nice hauls of halves. Congrats on your fortunes. :)
 
That is just too much!!!!!!! I mean it........ way too much silver halfs for anyone....send me some...you got too many..... :D :D

You need to hire someone just to carry all the silver you get on your road trips...... ::)
 
Just great. Congrats.

It is amazing how many tellers "know" that only pre-1965 coins are silver. :D

You robbed that bank, my friend. Keep it up.

HH.
 
GREAT FINDS Congrats My only problem with road trips is dumping the culls. Or do you just takt a fist full of cash? on the road ? HH Gayle
 
Thanks all!

rsc said:
GREAT FINDS Congrats My only problem with road trips is dumping the culls. Or do you just takt a fist full of cash? on the road ? HH Gayle

Fistfull of cash and ATM cards.

Sheldius said:
Just great. Congrats.

It is amazing how many tellers "know" that only pre-1965 coins are silver. :D

You robbed that bank, my friend. Keep it up.

HH.

Very true - don't you love that?

Dimeman said:
That is just too much!!!!!!! I mean it........ way too much silver halfs for anyone....send me some...you got too many..... :D :D

You need to hire someone just to carry all the silver you get on your road trips...... ::)

Thanks Robbie - I'll call you the next time I go - can you bring a dolly?

Riverdog said:
Heck of a hit, that would have sunk my boat for sure! See, if that bag had made it back to the fed, it would have made up 4-5 good boxes, but you avoided the middleman. :D Congrats.
RDog

You bet - gotta round up those dogies before they get turned loose on the feds !!

AFModell said:
TxTim, youre nuts! You keep nailing very nice hauls of halves. Congrats on your fortunes. :)

Thanks AF - there's a lot of luck involved but I can usually smell a good hoard when I roll into the lobby and the wind is right!
Certain banks in certain places seem to have an aura about them especially older private banks in small communities. This one did have the wise old silver picking tellers but I'm glad they neglected the 40% models!
 
Louisiana appears to be the promised land for silver...let's all go there! Nice pick-up
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom