Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Rant! Bear with me...

This picking season has been pretty lousy (I am only talking about buying stuff). Garage sales have been significantly fewer and finds have been sparse. Really... The market is changing dramatically. I am seeing (second hand) stores closing up. Hot spots and honey holes I have been hitting for years are all dried up. I don't even think about hitting the GW anymore. For the past year I have relied on the FB marketplace and private leads for most of my picks. Well, this season it has been like a 75% FAILURE rate. People are TOTAL flakes. They cancel on you with no warning. You show up and its the wrong item or its broken or the price is suddenly different. You tell people "ill take it" and they never respond, block you, cancel the sale, tell you they have other offers, etc. I have seen all the worst of human behavior when it comes to this.

In my opinion, the problem is this: The tools to buy/sell stuff on the second hand market are plentiful and so easy to use even an idiot can use them. The problem is, idiots are using them! You can improve technology, but you cant improve human behavior!

I just cant believe how bad the (second hand) market is right now. Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only big change I’ve noticed is that the people who are dying and leaving estates (and thus estate sales) are much younger - or I should say born much later. It’s rare to find an old house full of old stuff. Lots of newer homes with lots of junk.

And there is definitely a lot of competition. Something like a sterling spoon or bowl etc does not last even a few hours on the shelf. Basically have to learn when stuff goes out each week to get the best things.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Not noticing that so much where I am at. GW is bad as usual for jewelry. My hope is your dry spell ends soon.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is crazy where I am. Stuff is everywhere. But I see this like most markets, they have there ups and downs.....so it should pick up again.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I use a great auction co that tells me what, when and where. My contact is creditable. You might want to get to know him or her. He in my case tells me where I can detect and refers me to other sites. Good luck. Just a little work.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a great auction co that tells me what, when and where. My contact is creditable. You might want to get to know him or her. He in my case tells me where I can detect and refers me to other sites. Good luck. Just a little work.:icon_thumright:

Umm, what?

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to buy my first item on offer up. Went back-and-forth and we’re supposed to meet the lady at 3pm on Sunday. It was a Waltham Watch and she wanted 10 bucks. I told her give her $25 for it since it was worth at least that. She confirmed but never showed up. I’m done with offer up

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can sort of relate to what Ben is talking about. The picks are getting fewer and further between. sites like CL, FB and Offer up are full of fools you can't rely on. It is the slow time of year though, at least in my area. Next month it should start to brighten up, I hope. I need to purge anyway after I get back to town in a few weeks. Yard sale time (as soon as it's semi-cool out)! It's been a few years. I'm gonna hit the thrifts out of town and see if they are any better in Podunkville.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to buy my first item on offer up. Went back-and-forth and we’re supposed to meet the lady at 3pm on Sunday. It was a Waltham Watch and she wanted 10 bucks. I told her give her $25 for it since it was worth at least that. She confirmed but never showed up. I’m done with offer up

Just bought this 10k lion pendant for $60 from a guy on OfferUp. It was on a 4g 14k necklace. Sold the pendant on eBay for $75 and will sell the necklace later for about $100 or so. OfferUp has flakes for sure, but the deals are certainly out there. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537006230.531696.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537006254.628897.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there, I truly believe in the law of averages! Keep asking and showing up. I rely on cl for garage sale postings, but postings or not, I'll be out there hitting the streets. Scoring at GW is like a waste of time, since every GW has a team of Harvard grads that specialize in many areas, so as to not allow nothing of value (given to them, and said with sarcasm), leave their stores.

Any good swap meets, or pawn shops in your area? They can be a good source for a possible score. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions