What's new

Love Token

jerseyben

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
5,216
Reaction score
2,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
Nice work. I hope you didn't pay too much. It isn't that rare to have both sides tooled. I collect Love Tokens. Initials/Letters are the most common. Finding nature work (flowers/animals) is very desirable. I know a lady dealer out of Sarasota that deals only in Love Tokens.
 
Nice one! My buddy and I were dirt fishing a private yard this fall, he dug a nice love token scribed on a seated dime. They seem to be popular mid to late 1800's.
 
LOL, I apologize for replying in advance . :D

Two sided love tokens are scarce compared to the vast majority where only one side was engraved. I was lucky enough to find a quarter that has both sides engraved, and way back in the late 80s a knowledgeable individual with the Love Token society gave a great presentation at our monthly club meeting and had a super slide show with all the different love tokens that are out there. I did get an offer from him, but it is just something too hard to part with. Found when a local lake was drained back around 1989 or so.
 

Attachments

  • 1890LoveToken.webp
    1890LoveToken.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 1890LoveToken.webp
    1890LoveToken.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 298
Those are really cool, yours kinda looks like the one on the banner
 
Nice post here. The younger CRHers should learn more about these "love Tokens"
rileyboy
 
That is a beaut! 1890s: The foundation of Industrial America; Railroads and Economic Expansionism; Entrepreneurs; Workers and Industry; Evolution of Labor Organizations; Conflict in the West & Native Americans; Mining and Agribuisness; the beginning of the new Urbanization; Women on the Move; the Populist Party; Silver, yes Silver as the currency issue; the Spanish-AmericanWar; US Becoming a World Power; the Gilded Age--exposing corruption.

So much history in that decade. I would have loved to have been there to see the exchange of that love token. What those folks could have told us and what we could have learned.

apush :read2:
 
apush said:
That is a beaut! 1890s: The foundation of Industrial America; Railroads and Economic Expansionism; Entrepreneurs; Workers and Industry; Evolution of Labor Organizations; Conflict in the West & Native Americans; Mining and Agribuisness; the beginning of the new Urbanization; Women on the Move; the Populist Party; Silver, yes Silver as the currency issue; the Spanish-AmericanWar; US Becoming a World Power; the Gilded Age--exposing corruption.

So much history in that decade. I would have loved to have been there to see the exchange of that love token. What those folks could have told us and what we could have learned.

apush :read2:

Now that I know what APUSH stands for, we have alot in common. I am an absolute history buff, it fascinates me to no end. I really
only have one regret in life and that is my path I took for a career. If I had to do it all over again I would pursue my Masters degree in
US History and become a teacher. Congratulations to you on your job, I envy you.... :notworthy:

Most people look at coins as silver, I see an old coin and my mind instantly starts to wander. Where has this coin been, what has its owner(s) seen, has anybody of western fame ever touched/used the coin and so on. A coin library is actually an documentary of US
history if you dig deep enough. Most coins depict a major event in the history of the United States, Franklin, Kennedy, Lincoln and
so on.

If it helps, I am going back to school to get my Bachelors degree in Management, might have to have a few history classes as electives.. :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom