Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several times today I found a target in a field that ID'd high 80s and 90s. Pinpointing showed a relatively small target size at max depth. After digging over two feet and not uncovering the target, I could still pinpoint and ID the target but still at max depth with the coil down in the hole. I laid my shovel down and could detect it at over three feet above it. I ground balance often and usually run disc 4, disc at 19 and v-break at 29.

Did not recover those large targets as I feared they were oil or gas pipelines that ran through the property. Made for an interest hunt to say the least.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up on several iron targets at a turn of the century homestead with the LRP and Gold Bug both. They all rang up high tone like you said. I dug one target 3-4 feet down and finally hit what appeared to be a stove or vehicle for all I know. I gave up once I saw how big and solid it was. My 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter went at it for another 3-4 hours and did not uncover 1/10th of whatever it was.

Not sure if there are many detectors that can tell the difference or pinpoint it correctly....especially if it is a circular object. Kind of like the nickel/gold ring/pull tab trifecta so many detectors have trouble with.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dig down until you see the tip of the antenna then you know it is a Volkswagon:laughing7:

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere that caches are usually buried a maximum of 18" give or take a few inches. That is about the deepest I am willing to dig for a signal. Really not interested in unearthing a VW, but if I could remove its antenna I think it's worth it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I get a deep loud signal I begin to swing my coil over the target as I gradually raise it up. If the target is ringing in when my coil is 1 ft above the ground, I assume it's a utility line or something and move on.

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip. Should have done that when I uncovered my water line in the front yard 18" down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread