What's new

LRP repair

tjarrett

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
75
Reaction score
103
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800
BH Land Ranger Pro
Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering how you go about sending one to get repaired under warranty. Thanks for any info
 
Call the company and get a return authorization, they will walk you through the process.
 
Thanks loco
 
Mind if I ask what happened?
 
The pinpoint button has been off even with the little cabinet door sticky pad.. Stopped hunting for about a month cause of the heat. Tried to get back out and turned it on and the volume was acting crazy. Giving negative numbers, finally got that cleared. Then I could hit the pinpoint button and the volume or sensitivity would increase. So there's definitely something wrong with insides.
 
Was it stored inside in a dry climate controlled area or in a humid shed, garage, or other area? I think moisture got into the circuit board. My F4 got damp once and I had issues. I simply removed the batteries, kept the cover off and let it sit in the sun on a hot dry day. It worked like a champ once it was completely dry.
 
Sounds like a shorted membrane switch. I think the pin point button is a design flaw anyways.
 
It was stored indoors. Removing the battery and putting a new one in helped with the volume issue but the pin point issue is bad.
 
I think the pinpoint goes bad on all of them... I will send mine in for repair one of these days.
 
I think the pinpoint goes bad on all of them... I will send mine in for repair one of these days.
I think I will disassemble the control head and piggyback the pinpoint button on the ribbon cable and put an SPST button and put it on the grip. I think a trigger button for pinpointing is more ergonomic than using my thumb. Also I would imagine that ANY button I install will be better than the membrane switch button.
While I have it apart adding some LED backlighting wouldn't be a bad idea either.
 
IDK if I would call it a design flaw. I think they just got a bad batch of buttons for the LRP. I want to say a rep chimed in about it on some forum...a member copy/pasted an email reply or something of the sort.

The membrane buttons on other First Texas machines I have tried have been good to go (Gold Bug...F44...Lone Star Pro...SS2) That being said, I also agree...trigger > membrane is my preference.
 
IDK if I would call it a design flaw. I think they just got a bad batch of buttons for the LRP. I want to say a rep chimed in about it on some forum...a member copy/pasted an email reply or something of the sort.

The membrane buttons on other First Texas machines I have tried have been good to go (Gold Bug...F44...Lone Star Pro...SS2) That being said, I also agree...trigger > membrane is my preference.

Maybe design flaw was a little harsh. In my industry, membrane switches go bad all the time. So in turn I am changing them very frequently, but the amount of pressure I have to use it very frustrating and when my son uses the LRP, pinpointing is not even possible. Rather than sending back to FT, I will mod it the way I think it should have been designed with the pinpoint button in the grip. It should be very easy to do.
 
Thanks everyone.. Sent it off now the wait is on
 
Glad to see that you sent it off, that's what warranties are for. :icon_thumright:
 
Just got a call back.. Detector has been repaired and recalibrated. Had a bad switch
 
Glad to see First Texas took care of you. :thumbsup:
 
Great reason for having a backup machine.
 
Haven't been detecting long enough to earn a back up yet.. Lol
 
Haven't been detecting long enough to earn a back up yet.. Lol

Get yourself a clad jar on the fridge and hit it hard.

A Cibola is only a few hundred, right?

I have one on the fridge, called "Daddy's CTX Fund".

I gave up after 4 months and just bought one, best decision ever!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom