M-3 GoldenIrishmans Monsoon Mining Thread

What kind of amperage does it pull? What battery have you paired it with?

BTW.... For those of you that have not used or seen a Johnson 4000gph 12V pump.... The thing is a monster!

Heck ya, that's what I went with also. Man the thing is big, any bigger and it wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I've only used mine once at horse shoe bend. But it worked great for my sluice. Had the valve about 1/2 open. I think it will work great with the high banker I'm building. And hopefully will run a small 1 1/2 dredge.

What kind of amperage does it pull? What battery have you paired it with?

The pump pulls 15 amp Kevin. I hope he has a few good batteries, those things eat electricity.

The one I had was a good pump but they don't have much head so probably not the best thing for a stream side highbanker. As I recall with 3 ft of head pressure at a bit less than 2" the GPH was down around 2,500 GPH from it's rated 4,000 GPH.

It's been my experience that it's a good pump for a desert recirc setup if you have the batteries/generator but if you need any significant head pressure you are better off with a gas trash pump.

Heavy Pans

Remember guys. I'm building towards a completely solar powered setup. In the meantime, I'm running it off of a 110 to 12V supply I built up myself that can supply 25 amps all day long. It could be plugged into a generator but I really HATE having to listen to that all day.

Far as head height goes, I'm only having to lift the water about 18 inches. I'm using lay flat discharge hose between the pump and the sluice and there are no bends or kinks in the path. It works great and costs 1/4 of what spa hose runs. The 15 ft roll of it I got will keep me pumping for a couple of years at least.

Remember guys. I'm building towards a completely solar powered setup. In the meantime, I'm running it off of a 110 to 12V supply I built up myself that can supply 25 amps all day long. It could be plugged into a generator but I really HATE having to listen to that all day.

Far as head height goes, I'm only having to lift the water about 18 inches. I'm using lay flat discharge hose between the pump and the sluice and there are no bends or kinks in the path. It works great and costs 1/4 of what spa hose runs. The 15 ft roll of it I got will keep me pumping for a couple of years at least.
not knowing the output pressure of your pump I thought I'd add (recalling pump theory from firefighting) expect to lose 33 Kpa / metre length and 10Kpa / metre lift ..... thats using 1 1/2 " (38 mm) layflat

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

oops sorry ...3.3 Kpa / metre length ... I did say I was recalling theory ...FOG Syndrome ..lol

Sheesh! Now Dave wants me to have to do a conversion between metric and Our behind the times measurement system. Thanks for forcing me to shake the cobwebs out of my brain for a change. I'll save them for Halloween decorations.

Hahahahahaaa ..thanks golden ..first laugh for the day. when I say metre just read 3 feet I do try to convert back sometimes...

No problem Dave! Glad I could lighten your day. My metrics are so rusty, if they fell on some rocks other prospectors would think it's a convergence zone and start testing to see if there was any gold. Kpa is Kilopascals or a unit of pressure isn't it?

thats correct golden ...10Kpa is about 1.4 PSI. In a way I was lucky and brought up using both systems as ot was all changing when I was a kid ...and changing countries ..lol

Well once again the lovely winds of AridZona have done a number on the processing area. At least this time when the shade cover came down it didn't scrap my sluice stand. At least this time it took a few gusts of about 60 mph to take the shade cover out.

I haven't been able to get out to do much of anything lately thanks to getting things ready for our upcoming court case against the guy we purchased our mobile from. The idiot thinks he doesn't have to turn over the title even though we've paid him off. This guy is a real piece of work. He seems to think that we can be intimidated into paying more. Well.. He don't know me very well or realize that I can play his game much better than he can. In the meantime, we've been forced to keep close to the homestead in case this guy tries to do something REALLY stupid.

Well once again the lovely winds of AridZona have done a number on the processing area. At least this time when the shade cover came down it didn't scrap my sluice stand. At least this time it took a few gusts of about 60 mph to take the shade cover out.

I haven't been able to get out to do much of anything lately thanks to getting things ready for our upcoming court case against the guy we purchased our mobile from. The idiot thinks he doesn't have to turn over the title even though we've paid him off. This guy is a real piece of work. He seems to think that we can be intimidated into paying more. Well.. He don't know me very well or realize that I can play his game much better than he can. In the meantime, we've been forced to keep close to the homestead in case this guy tries to do something REALLY stupid.

What a crappy deal on both counts. Hope all turns out well.

Last edited:
The hardest job.....

....comes when someone you love is fighting for their life. :sadsmiley:

Well I'm back in Cali for the first time in about 3 years. Unfortunately it not for mining or prospecting. After 88 years of life my dad is at a stage when it's not looking like he will be with us much longer. Heart is operating at about 33% and it's the same with his Kidneys.

They've put him on Hospice, my brother and sister have him at their (our) house and there's been tons of people coming through. I'm trying to see what services I can get for him from the V.A. but we all know that's going to take forever to wade through. From what I've seen here at the house so far, there are way too many Chiefs and not enough Indians in this mix. So far I have not been told of anything that's close to a plan. Is it too much to ask that everyone gets on the same page and make sure that we know what the frickin plan is in the first place? The layout of their care plan reminds me of some of Todd Hoffmans operations over the years and we all know how those usually turn out!

....comes when someone you love is fighting for their life. :sadsmiley:

Well I'm back in Cali for the first time in about 3 years. Unfortunately it not for mining or prospecting. After 88 years of life my dad is at a stage when it's not looking like he will be with us much longer. Heart is operating at about 33% and it's the same with his Kidneys.

They've put him on Hospice, my brother and sister have him at their (our) house and there's been tons of people coming through. I'm trying to see what services I can get for him from the V.A. but we all know that's going to take forever to wade through. From what I've seen here at the house so far, there are way too many Chiefs and not enough Indians in this mix. So far I have not been told of anything that's close to a plan. Is it too much to ask that everyone gets on the same page and make sure that we know what the frickin plan is in the first place? The layout of their care plan reminds me of some of Todd Hoffmans operations over the years and we all know how those usually turn out!

Jeff sorry to read about your father. Its always tough to have to say goodbye to someone that has been in your life all these years. I have been through it three times most recently with my brother. You, brother, and sister need to sit down and all get on the same page and have others step aside. Take care my friend. Keith

Last edited:
End of an era....

It's with a heavy heart that I have to report that my father passed away this morning. I was at least able to spend a week with him before he decided that he had had enough of this world and left us.

While I know that no one here had ever met him, I'd like to think that the majority of you would have liked him if you had met. Dad loved being outdoors and we spent a lot of time out camping, fishing, cutting firewood in the mountains and much much more. He always had an interest in prospecting but due to his knees he left it to me to tackle that outdoor adventure. He loved seeing the gold that I found and I think that he had a "proxy" case of gold fever.

Dad passed away in his sleep three days after I had returned home. I am glad that I had a chance to see him before he left us and I will always remember him as the person with the easy going manner that I could always depend on for a good joke. He taught me a lot over the years and his guidance and encouragement will be sorely missed.

My condolences on this sad moment in your life. But I also know that you'll treasure his memory and all that he shared with you.

Irishman, you are correct that I have not met you or your father, However, there is an incredible bond that goes far beyond father and son when the two of you spend time together in the outdoors as the two of you did. Myself, and likely many others on this site, shared the same wonderful experiences in the outdoors (hunting, fishing, metal detecting, and more) with our dads. My dad is on his last months also, and I just spent time with him a few weeks ago, reminiscing about our times together, telling the same hunting and fishing stories (for the hundredth time) because he loves to relive those memories. I'm sorry for your loss - my thoughts are with you and your family.

Sorry for your loss goldenIrishman. It's good that you got to spend time with him before he passed.
- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back