goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be heading into town on the 1st to battle the hordes at wally world. I will also dry and weigh the gold I've extracted from this first test area and get it on the scale to get an exact weight on it. My scale is so sensitive that I haven't been able to get it to work right because of the wind out here. Heck, just trying to type up notes on the computer at times is an adventure in itself.
Other than the new tent for $150.00 I won't be making any other equipment purchases this trip in. Got to start saving up to get a new MineLab, but I'm not going to cut back on the beans and bullets more than I have to.

Things learned this month:
1. Its going to take every barrel I've got to be able to stockpile enough processing water!! to,get through a month in this area. I haven't found a nice little spring like I had at the last place.
2. Going to have to start adding something to the sluice water to kill off the bacteria that's been growing in the tank. Mucking out that tank has become one smelly job.
3. Drop riffle types of boxes seem to be what is working best in this area so far. Mat based systems clog up too quick to be practical. Half a bucket of materials and I was "Flat Boarding" because the mats were so clogged with black sands. (No...this increase of black sand did not translate to an increase of gold.)
4. Having your research on a computer is good, but ALWAYS have a hard copy backup in case the technology fails. All the research in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good if you can't access it when you need it!!!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well today was a great day for me. Took a drive up to the area of the old Cyclopic Mine and had a look at the old workings there. Found a BLM road that went all the way to the top of the ridge to the west of it and was treated to a super view of the surrounding area. I could see from Dolan Springs almost all the way to Meadeview. To the south I could see past Red Lake (dry) to I-40.

While I was out and about, I happened to run in to the owner of the Empire Mine which is a working lode operation. After shooting the breeze with him for a bit, I managed an invite to stop by and check out their operation. This is going to be a cool learning experience for me as I've never had the chance to check out such a large lode mine. We talked geology and about some of the other mines in the area and I walked away more educated and with a new mining friend. All in all a very good day!!!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will be heading into town on the 1st to battle the hordes at wally world. I will also dry and weigh the gold I've extracted from this first test area and get it on the scale to get an exact weight on it. My scale is so sensitive that I haven't been able to get it to work right because of the wind out here. Heck, just trying to type up notes on the computer at times is an adventure in itself.
Other than the new tent for $150.00 I won't be making any other equipment purchases this trip in. Got to start saving up to get a new MineLab, but I'm not going to cut back on the beans and bullets more than I have to.

Things learned this month:
1. Its going to take every barrel I've got to be able to stockpile enough processing water!! to,get through a month in this area. I haven't found a nice little spring like I had at the last place.
2. Going to have to start adding something to the sluice water to kill off the bacteria that's been growing in the tank. Mucking out that tank has become one smelly job.
3. Drop riffle types of boxes seem to be what is working best in this area so far. Mat based systems clog up too quick to be practical. Half a bucket of materials and I was "Flat Boarding" because the mats were so clogged with black sands. (No...this increase of black sand did not translate to an increase of gold.)
4. Having your research on a computer is good, but ALWAYS have a hard copy backup in case the technology fails. All the research in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good if you can't access it when you need it!!!

Thanks for keeping us updated Jeff!

In Gold Basin you will always have wind. It's just part of the adventure of that location.

For your water you need to consider the pH as well. The water up there is very alkaline. The water in North Carolina and California is acid. That's why the desert water you are getting isn't as effective at separating the materials in your sluice box. Raise the pH and the water will be more "slippery" and less prone to supporting particles in suspension.

The most cheap and effective pH solution is adding about a 1/4 cup of Borax (green box - no soap or scent) to your processing stream. This will bring your pH up and help break down the material you are processing. Borax is really cheap and available at any supermarket laundry shelf. It will help keep down the algae bloom too along with the addition of some chlorine.

Make sure you slowly dissolve the borax in a 5 gallon bucket of water before adding it to your process stream. The stuff will turn into a rock if you just dump it in. A good combination to start with might be 1/4 cup borax, 1/2 cup chlorine bleach (added separately from the Borax) and a small shot of jetdry. Increase each as needed.

Use the knowledge of your pioneer ancestors. Keep a real silver coin in the bottom of your water containers and the water will stay sweet and bacteria free. Consider the old rancher trick of painting your plastic water containers with cheap black paint to keep the sunlight out, no sunlight = no algae.

The pH change from the Borax will make a big difference in the "feel" of your water as well as changing the way your materials act in your sluice. Find the sweet spot for your conditions and then measure the pH. Try to keep your pH in that range for the most effective use of your precious water. Add Borax as it is neutralized by new material.

Hope that helps.

I'll try to find the time to post some information about the gold deposits in that area later. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
Barry

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Barry! Looks like I'll have to add some stuff to the lab gear here real soon. I already had bleach on the shopping list for this trip but will add the borax as well. Will have to see about digging up a phone meter or a supply of litmus paper to check the phone levels and remember to use them as I add water to the recirc system. As usual, water is in short supply in this area so I want to conserve it any way I can. The last couple of months have shown me how much I need per month at this point of testing areas as well as get an idea of how much I'll need for a larger operation in the future.
Another thing I've come to realize is that I could stand a bit heavier duty trailer. Something about 12 ft long with double axles and wider tires to distribute the weight on sandy areas better. The thin little pizza cutter wheels o, my harbor freight rig just cut into soft sand and cause massive amounts of drag. If I'm going to be hauling all that water as well as installing a solar power system I'll need more capacity. This has been the learning phase and I need to start using some of this new knowledge to my advantage. Of not... what the he77 am I doing out here in the heat?

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff here you go,

Four Seasons Hydroponics
550 Topeka St.
Phone: 928-753-2536
Hours:Mon-Sat 9am -6pm Sun- Closed
Kingman, Az

Rap Hydro Garden Supply
2530 E Butler Ave Kingman, AZ 86409
(928) 692-6845

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get a 15 foot strip of litmus paper in a roll from wallyworld pet (fish) section for about 7 bucks. Comes in a water proof tape style dispenser with a color matching pH scale built in. Should be good for many months of processing. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to you Barry! Stop by for a Guinness next time you're up this way! You know you're always welcome at any claim of mine!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trying to remember how to do pictures off my phone here so hang in there folks....

Here is a shot of the new command tent. I've got so much room in there now I feel like I'm at the Hilton. I still have to move the fire ring and get the gear in the trailer moved into it but I managed to get it set up solo in the wind. Its already withstood gusts that leveled the old one.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Try the pic again.

Attachments

• 1433430307901.jpg
    1433430307901.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 133

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty awesome!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I've been back in town today doing some of the research that i didn't get done before I left from Douglas. When I did the work in Douglas I did the land management and claims information form the south county line up to I-40. So now I've got more information to plot out on my markup maps. All land management and claims info from Land Matters for Gold and Lost Basins can now be added. Being able to do this is great. Since there is so much info from Land Matters that I like to have in the field but cant access because of no internet except on my phone this is the only way I can do it. (Well until they come up with an app for droid phones that is. HINT HINT Barry!!!!)

So now the hunt will be expanded into these new areas. Watch out Gold Basin.... The Golden Irishman is on the way! Lock up the women and children, hide the pets and don't leave any food out!!!!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again mother nature has shown me why I love being a miner. The other night I went out of the tent around midnight to answer natures call and was treated to a night sky in which every single star and planet could be seen. It was clear as a bell and the only light pollution was a bit of glow to the northwest from "Lost Wages". I really wish I had a good telescope with me. It would have been awesome!!!

It's the little things like this that make this job worth doing. All the gold in the world couldn't buy a view like that....

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in the woods but get to see good stars every now and again through the openings and when i lay on the street. Not a whole lot of light out here where i live but you can see where the shopping centers lights are a few miles away.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Once again mother nature has shown me why I love being a miner. The other night I went out of the tent around midnight to answer natures call and was treated to a night sky in which every single star and planet could be seen. It was clear as a bell and the only light pollution was a bit of glow to the northwest from "Lost Wages". I really wish I had a good telescope with me. It would have been awesome!!!

It's the little things like this that make this job worth doing. All the gold in the world couldn't buy a view like that....

Wait until you get to see a heat lighting show....just Fabulous.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in the woods but get to see good stars every now and again through the openings and when i lay on the street. Not a whole lot of light out here where i live but you can see where the shopping centers lights are a few miles away.

When you lay in the street? What do the neighbors think when they want to drive in that street? LoL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread