You have accomplished what only a handful of hunters ever have in Texas, Old River and you have my congrats also!
I wanted to comment about the snakes, etc. that seem to booger a lot of folks when it comes to hunting that area. I spent a lot of years hunting CW and other artifacts all over Texas, Ark. & La at ALL times of the year and had my share of encounters with bad critters but in all honesty the bad encounters were few and far between. The rattlesnakes are more of a danger to those hunters who barge through their territory with a "Bull in a China Shop" recklessness. The rattlesnake is not looking for a fight and will get out of your way if you proceed with caution and make enough noise... but do not expect him to warn you by rattling first... only about one out of four rattled me before I saw them. You practically have to step on one or reach up over your head while rock climbing to get bit. Never had any problems with scorpions while digging but had to kill quite a few IN my house in East Texas. Copperheads are more of a threat because they don't tend to run away... they just stand their ground and they strike without having to coil but only had two or three encounters with them in 25 years of hunting their territory. Never encountered any gators although I have hunted where they are many times so I guess I must smell bad to them or something.

Never saw a Coral Snake but had one run-in with "Bigfoot" and another with 3 gun-totin rednecks with bad teeth back in an Arkansas swamp (The rednecks scared me more than Bigfoot... he was just curious as to what I was doing in his territory). The BIGGEST threat that I found on more than one occasion was from Water Moccasins... they will lay up in a bush at chest height or be in the trees 20' over your head and drop down as you walk under them. They are a mean, aggressive snake and if you mess with them or surprise them by accident they are prone to attack... FAST! Even then, I only had 4 "close-encounters" with them during the hundreds of times that I ventured into their domain. I have had local people warn me not to go into certain areas because "you'll come upon 6 or more ratttlesnakes at a time" and not see a single snake in those "infested" areas. When it comes to small critters like mosquitos and ticks they are the ones that are the most likely of all to get a piece of you. I know.... I got bit by a Deer Tick and contracted Lyme Disease from it. But strangely enough, I was not in the bushes hunting Confederate buttons but simply working in my own back yard at my house in East Texas when the critter got me.
All the continually successful Texas button hunters I ever knew let NOTHING stop them from their pursuit of those rarities and I never knew of a single one of them being done in by a bad snake or any other wild critter.
Be cautious... be prepared... but remember.... "He/she who never dares.... never conquers!".
AnOldPro