Re: Magician's Coin
I have accumulated about 25 of these coins. The Mexican peso and the English penny variety. I was very surprised by them.
When I got my first one I actually discovered it by the clack sound it made. you know how silver has that beautiful ring sound. Well these have that dull almost plastic thud sound when dropped on a counter ( Hollow sound ).
Anyway I showed it to someone at work, and a couple of day's later he brought me an article in the newspaper about Spy Coins.
Well I thought I had found A spy coin for the longest time and pondered taking it to the authorities till I found more with different coins inside.
I finally searched the web and found a Magic shop on line who is selling these things for around $25
I'm in the tool design Business and knew that the cost and precision to make this coin was worth a lot more than 50 cents. so it figures it was something produced at a higher rate than one or two at a time. other than 2 half dollar's and an English penny/Mexican peso. Machine time, set up and talented operator would make the cost of these coins allot.
OK so how did I get mine open. Well I used a razor blade and have dropped them on their edge to pop them open. in one article on the magic coin it said there is a pin hole in the R where it says IN GOD WE TRUST, but none of mine have the pin hole and most are a bitch to open. Sooo what the hell kinda magic coin is that !!!

? lol
When I started my search for answers on this mystery coin based on the spy coin article, I found an interesting story on line ( HISTORACLE/TRUE ) about spy coins. Involving a coin a newspaper boy a Russian spy and a U2 piolet who was shot down over Russia. I don't have a link but goggle the key words and you might have some luck. by the way it was a hollowed out nickle that had a piece of paper in it with a tiny coded message on it. Here is the end of the story. below
Rudolph Abel
Born William Fischer by German parents, this Soviet spy served in a variety of positions within Soviet intelligence. Taking the name of Rudolph Abel after the real Abel died, Fischer was sent to America in 1948 to reorganize the Soviet "illegal" spy network in the U.S. Fischer was arrested by the FBI in 1957 and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. He was released in 1962 in exchange for downed U-2 pilot Gary Powers. Fisher died of lung cancer in Moscow in 1971.
The things we learn through this hobby/addiction, very enjoyable. 8)
Another suggestion for a possible use from one of my seedy friends is to fill it with cocaine to conceal it when crossing the border LOL. Haven't herd from him since i gave him a couple before he left for CASINO WINDSOR across the border..

!!! LOL.
Mojo