Magnetic Black Sand Separator

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not been able to Drywash for awhile so I made a Black Sand Separator to run my cons , It came out pretty good we will see what you think .
seperator 008.JPG

seperator 016.JPG

seperator 020.JPG

Upvote 13
OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This separates magnetic sand from non magnetic sand for easier Gold extraction . Sluice or Pan with less heavy black sand to deal with .

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Years back I had s similar idea on my 4 inch dredge using 3 pcs of 3/4 inch PVC pipe filled with rare earth magnets and the pipes were sealed off at each end. these were spaced across my sluice at the head end of it. They were mounted on a slip fit mount so that I could clean them off (1 at a time ) of black sand while running without any down time to do this needed function ! It did a pretty good job of removing B.S. and nails /bits of steel /iron from my cons.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty sure it works as is explained by the following: As the belt rotates around the tail pulley(magnet area) the non magnetic material falls off the belt and is directed into one container while black sands stay stuck to the belt until it rotates past the pulley(magnet area), then they drop off and are directed to another container.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you !
Pretty sure it works as is explained by the following: As the belt rotates around the tail pulley(magnet area) the non magnetic material falls off the belt and is directed into one container while black sands stay stuck to the belt until it rotates past the pulley(magnet area), then they drop off and are directed to another container.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm wondering if 'donut style magnets' where used with a hole in the center for the shaft to stick though?

Very simple I like it.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used 20 1/2" x 1-1/2" Neodymium rare earth magnets glued inside drum roller , Donut style magnets are even more expensive than rectangle magnets . The drum rollers where left over from when I made the Drywasher Conveyors ( I did not need them ) they where Harbor Freight roller stands.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used 20 1/2" x 1-1/2" Neodymium rare earth magnets glued inside drum roller , Donut style magnets are even more expensive than rectangle magnets . The drum rollers where left over from when I made the Drywasher Conveyors ( I did not need them ) they where Harbor Freight roller stands.
Thanks for filling us in on what you did.
Yes the rectangle magnets are usually less cost then donut style magnets.

I like the idea of recycling HF roller stands great idea there.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I am right to assume you stacked round magnets then I think that only half, or even less, as many ND magnets would still be effective if the magnets are separated by spacers. Wooden dowels cut to width or maybe even stacked steel washers come to mind for spacers.

Heavy pans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Donut magnets would have magnetic lines going the same direction as the sand , A round magnet will have 1/2 the contact points for magnetic lines , the square magnets contact on 2 corners for twice as many lines . below same size ea 10mm
2029.JPG

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Donut magnets would have magnetic lines going the same direction as the sand , A round magnet will have 1/2 the contact points for magnetic lines , the square magnets contact on 2 corners for twice as many lines . below same size ea 10mm
View attachment 2131754
'May the force be with you' or at least your great project.
Thanks for posting xracer550.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 2131754
Two different trains of thought. I was imagining stacked, 1 1/2 inch diameter disc magnets centered inside the roller.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two different trains of thought. I was imagining stacked, 1 1/2 inch diameter 1/2 inch disc magnets centered inside the roller.
You are thinking just like me with the 'donut style magnets' having a steel shaft going through the center for lots of lines of force on the outside of the roller going out.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The magnets do not magnetize the whole drum it only does the outer edges of each magnet in lines 2 lines per magnet, more magnets more lines, bigger was not better in my test it made less , I have a pvc insert inside so you can put the shaft inside without fighting the magnets .

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if you had the magnets on the side of a non metallic vertical cylinder that the cons travel through? Maybe a 3 foot drop. At the bottom of the cylinder you had a V shape divider that funneled into two buckets. If the cons were dropped nearer to the gold bucket side of the cylinder, the gold would fall straight down while the magnets would cause the path of the other material to bend toward the other bucket.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What if you had the magnets on the side of a non metallic vertical cylinder that the cons travel through? Maybe a 3 foot drop. At the bottom of the cylinder you had a V shape divider that funneled into two buckets. If the cons were dropped nearer to the gold bucket side of the cylinder, the gold would fall straight down while the magnets would cause the path of the other material to bend toward the other bucket.
Not a bad idea in fact may work fairly well. Thanks for posting Fermion.

Are you thinking of a 1" plastic pipe size?

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea in fact may work fairly well. Thanks for posting Fermion.

Are you thinking of a 1" plastic pipe size?
Sure. Cheap would be to use some schedule 40 pvc. Maybe 2 inch diameter though. Tape some rare earths to one side and drop the cons down the middle biased to the other side, put the v-divider in the bottom. I wonder if you could auto feed it hourglass style using a cheap plastic funnel...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions