Magnetic Black Sand Separator

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not been able to Drywash for awhile so I made a Black Sand Separator to run my cons , It came out pretty good we will see what you think .
seperator 008.JPG

seperator 016.JPG

seperator 020.JPG

Upvote 13

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure. Cheap would be to use some schedule 40 pvc. Maybe 2 inch diameter though. Tape some rare earths to one side and drop the cons down the middle biased to the other side, put the v-divider in the bottom. I wonder if you could auto feed it hourglass style using a cheap plastic funnel...
Would the magnets have enough lines of force to cover most of the materials with the 2" dia. pipe?

I'm thinking 3/4" pipe to flow the materials through.

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bringing the discussion back to the OP's device, the reason I was thinking of a vertical gravity drop with deflection, is that I thought maybe the gold would stick to the ferrous material on the belt, being pulled along by friction contact. I have found this happen when trying to drag a magnet through cons. How much fine gold are you seeing carry over with the belt device?

In my mind, if the cons were very dry and were dropped through a pipe, they would pick up enough velocity and separation such that the magnetic field could act on individual particles and not pull the gold along through friction contact. Sort of like how electrons are deflected in a cathode ray tube. They are diverted some distance as they move.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bringing the discussion back to the OP's device, the reason I was thinking of a vertical gravity drop with deflection, is that I thought maybe the gold would stick to the ferrous material on the belt, being pulled along by friction contact. I have found this happen when trying to drag a magnet through cons. How much fine gold are you seeing carry over with the belt device?

In my mind, if the cons were very dry and were dropped through a pipe, they would pick up enough velocity and separation such that the magnetic field could act on individual particles and not pull the gold along through friction contact. Sort of like how electrons are deflected in a cathode ray tube. They are diverted some distance as they move.
The fine values such as gold are clinging in part due to the electric charge of the iron particles etc..

It could be interesting moving the magnets in different spots along the plastic tube to see the effects.
It could be best to have the magnets both near the top and the bottom.
Not much to loose with this set up.

Fermion

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fine values such as gold are clinging in part due to the electric charge of the iron particles etc..

It could be interesting moving the magnets in different spots along the plastic tube to see the effects.
It could be best to have the magnets both near the top and the bottom.
Not much to loose with this set up.
I agree. In fact, maybe you want the larger diameter tube and a linear array of magnets down one side, spaced out a bit, to gradually veer the ferrous particle's path away from a straight line drop over the 3 foot distance. This way you don't get all of the ferrous material just clumping up to the side of the tube around the first magnet.

Imagine the stream of sand falling from an hour glass, then imagine if you could gently blow on the stream to shift it very slightly to one side but still have it fall down. That is what I was picturing.

Again OP, sorry to derail. I would like to hear more about the belt setup too and how well it is working.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree. In fact, maybe you want the larger diameter tube and a linear array of magnets down one side, spaced out a bit, to gradually veer the ferrous particle's path away from a straight line drop over the 3 foot distance. This way you don't get all of the ferrous material just clumping up to the side of the tube around the first magnet.

Imagine the stream of sand falling from an hour glass, then imagine if you could gently blow on the stream to shift it very slightly to one side but still have it fall down. That is what I was picturing.

Again OP, sorry to derail. I would like to hear more about the belt setup too and how well it is working.

One last thought about the tube the distance of the magnets from the side of the tube could also be played with.

The topic of the plastic tube is off of the topic of the belt setup.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fermion is right about some particles do get caught in magnetic field , so I run both sides 2-3 times at various speeds , They say you can't get it all ! but we try.

OP
OP
xracer550

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is something different , I don't have a 3d printer just a welder .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread