What's new

Maiden Voyage Gives Me Sterling!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
9,870
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wayne County, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Took my new detector out for a test drive at a local park today in preparation for a hunt tomorrow with Cjon455. I had to get a little practice in with it before he kicks my butt again. Lots of clad, a few beaver tails that fooled the F75 into thinking they might be nickels. The identifying feature of this machine really impresses me. I was hunting in Disc mode, " de " process and 3H tones. I was very happy to get silver on my first outing with it. Hopefully that is saying there is lots more to come. It was funny that I dug a small rusty horseshoe in the park too. Tylerbdad told me to sit on it quickly, because he swears Vino and Cjon both carry a lucky charm around with them, lol. Thanks for looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436993032.291600.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436993079.992540.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436993134.657975.webp
 
Upvote 54
Nice going on the silver, good luck on tomorrow's hunt.
 
That's a beautiful find.
Congrats OD on your awesome find and your new detector.

I have a feelin' things are about to get really good for you and this silver is a first taste of things to come.
Just a feelin'.

I also recall you once telling me that when you really like your machine you'll do well with it.
Here's hoping you really, REALLY like your new toy.
 
Last edited:
BTW, that image of the Virgin Mary on the bottom is known as the Miraculous medal.
If you Google it you can find out how it came about. If memory serves me, I believe a nun received the design in a vision. Millions of them have been given away. I've never seen one like yours; embedded in a cross with all of those other images.

******EDIT*******
Okay, your is called the "Cross of the First Family".

You've found the Miraculous medal plus three others all in one.
Nice silver four'fer.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Garrett! I found one like it for sale on Etsy ( I think it was there anyway ). I am really interested in the maker. The fellow that started that company was born in the 1820's and died shortly after 1900. His company was in Attleborough, Mass, but I can't find info as to whether it is still in business.
 
A little more info:

"The front of this cross includes a combination of four popular Catholic medals. It includes images of a Sacred Heart medal, a St. Joseph medal, a St. Christopher medal and the Miraculous medal."

Link to a site that sells this medal:

Sterling Silver Cross of the First Family (4-Way Medal) Charm
 
Funny how that works, ain't it? We get a new detector and we suddenly start finding again.

Nice way to get started again! :thumbsup:
 
Thats it now!! The door is wide open. . Look out!
Glad you and the new misses are starting of on the silver foot.
 
Nice looking silver cross! :occasion14:
 
Very nice first hunt, Old Dude! No doubt the first of many great finds with it! Don't discount the sniper coil... it works great in trash. If you are running DE and have an iffy deep signal, switch to Boost and watch it clear it right up.... :)
 
Nice job. Of all the targets I have dug, only one st Christopher. Luv my Fisher also.
 
Very nice sterling save there !! Great way for the machine to get its first silver too :headbang: :metaldetector: :treasurechest:
 
Congrats on the maiden silver.
 
Ya know, something I'd be interested in is, if the "good" targets, like this silver, would've been found with your other machine. I know that, to a degree, one can assume getting a bit more when they pay more. But, there has to be a few defining moments. Ones that you can say honestly to yourself. The other one wouldn't have found THAT!

Enjoy your new toy! You've already added to one person's enjoyment. ;)
 
Ya know, something I'd be interested in is, if the "good" targets, like this silver, would've been found with your other machine. I know that, to a degree, one can assume getting a bit more when they pay more. But, there has to be a few defining moments. Ones that you can say honestly to yourself. The other one wouldn't have found THAT!

Enjoy your new toy! You've already added to one person's enjoyment. ;)

Yes, Gary. No need to explain. You said the exact same thing to Chris when he bought a new detector lol.
 
very nice looking piece of silver
 
Yes, Gary. No need to explain. You said the exact same thing to Chris when he bought a new detector lol.

Truth does will out. ;)

But, I'm just as interested in Chris's defining moments as yours, or anyone's. :)
 
Ya know, something I'd be interested in is, if the "good" targets, like this silver, would've been found with your other machine. I know that, to a degree, one can assume getting a bit more when they pay more. But, there has to be a few defining moments. Ones that you can say honestly to yourself. The other one wouldn't have found THAT!

Enjoy your new toy! You've already added to one person's enjoyment. ;)

As anyone knows that doesn't spout the " one company " rhetoric many on here do, without actually carrying multiple detectors and checking each target to compare the signals, we will never know if my AT Pro or my GTAx 500 would have told me to dig the silver. Since I have dug targets of comparable size and conductivity much deeper with each of those detectors, we can assume they would have found it. All I can say with certainty is that you and I both missed it when we were there last year with our ATP's. We either didn't walk over it ( although it was in an area we both were ), the soil conditions didn't allow it, the guy with the CTX 3030 took our attention away at that moment or the Good Lord didn't want it found at that moment lol. I say we blame the Minelab guy!
 
( although it was in an area we both were ), the soil conditions didn't allow it, the guy with the CTX 3030 took our attention away at that moment or the Good Lord didn't want it found at that moment lol. I say we blame the Minelab guy!

I'm with you!

As far as finding, I've been doing this a long time and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've walked and rewalked a same area and still found something special on a future trip. It plain boggles the mind! One thing I'm certain of is that there are more variables involved in finding something than I can squeak out of my poor, worn mind, :)

For example, just today, I decided to pick up a tiny scrap of a foil wrapper.. Now, I do pick up trash as I go but I'm not out there to just play groundskeeper, I don't pick up EVERY scrap I see. :dontknow:

Anyway, I picked up this piece and just happened to swing over the spot when I restarted swinging. Yep, a hit, right where I picked up that foil. Now, stretch the imagination a bit. I show up one day, a foil is there, I come back another day and the wind has moved that foil along. Same place, same spot, garbage one day, treasure the next. LOL
 
OLE DUDE VERY BEAUTIFUL SILVER CROSS YOU HAVE THERE WHAT A GREAT FIND .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom