What's new

"MAJESTIC" bin ID please

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"MAJESTIC" bin ID please

A while ago I was detecting an old site when I got this "Foghorn" type signal on my minelab. Well, after reading stories of gold coins ans such being buried underneath these large targets The thought of "what if I don't dig this and something of that nature lies beneath" Comes to mind. After a 2 foot excavation project and 30 minutes later I found this! Well, needless to say I didn't find much underneath. What is it?
 

Attachments

  • DSC00074.webp
    DSC00074.webp
    59.4 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC00075.webp
    DSC00075.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC00076.webp
    DSC00076.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

Looks like a clean out lid for a grease trap. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

no idea but it would make a great toilet seat
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

Looks like either a gas or water meter cover to me.
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

Hey 4H,

People are starting to see different things. Re: cast iron stove part, part of a fireplace insert, clean out lid for a grease trap, gas or water meter cover and a "great toilet seat"! :icon_jokercolor:

We're needing a size reference, please.

I'm thinking a factory cover for an upright 45 gallon (sorry, 50 US gallon) barrel camp stove!
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

It reminds me of a exhaust rain cap from an old tractor
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

Okay, let's keep guessing until we get a size reference. (4H must be busy digging up another part of this thing! ;D) We're bound to get it through the simple process of elimination.

After careful research :icon_study: I found that 'Majestic' also made coal chutes, but they were square shaped.

So now, I'm going with "the cover to a garbage disposal", because if the cover was hot, how would you open it without burning your hands? :icon_scratch:

P.S.: Also, why would a company put their name & location on the inside lid of a fire-box?

'May the 4th be with you' - LG
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

Uuugh yeah how are you supposed to know the size if I do not put a refference next to it? I do appologize. Crusader has a good visual.....It's the size of a toilet seat! :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

My guess would be a cover for a slop hole. Slop holes were a common household feature prior to the introduction of garbage disposals. Dig a deep hole with a post hole digger and filler' up. Some folks used these covers. The rest of us just put a drum lid, or similar, to cover the hole when not in use.
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

A lot of Majestic Companies in Huntington in 1924. Im thinking now with the others a grease pit or slop hole cover esp. if you found it in position near a homestead. What does that top lever do? Can you fold it back and step on it to open?
 
Upvote 0
Re: "MAJESTIC" bin ID please

bigcypresshunter said:
A lot of Majestic Companies in Huntington in 1924. Im thinking now with the others a grease pit or slop hole cover esp. if you found it in position near a homestead. What does that top lever do? Can you fold it back and step on it to open?
That is exactly what that lever is for. Kick it over, step on it, lid opens, make your contribution, remove foot, lid closes and lever flips forward again. One of my Uncles had one of these next to his kitchen entrance. It was painted forest green as I recall. Can't imagine that he ever repainted the thing, so that may have been the original color from the factory.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom