major article coming on relics, history, detecting

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I work in a profession where I see inquiries from reporters about articles they are writing. This one is interesting. In this case they don't say the name of the publication, but it's a major U.S. daily newspaper, so keep your eyes open for it in the coming weeks. I could find out which one by inquiring, but it's kind of a pain. Thought you'd like to see...

1. BEHAVIOR: Why People Become Obsessed with History, Civil War Relics, etc. -- Cloaked TOP^
A journalist with a top U.S. daily sends the following query: I'm looking for an anthropologist, psychologist or other person who might be able to explain why some people become so obsessed with history, such as Civil War relic collectors. Most are in the South, where development hasn't hidden relics forever, but it's a big hobby. These guys become scholars, knowing maps, battle lines, then go out with $1,000 metal detectors, finding bullets, cannon balls -- any little thing makes them happy. There are clubs, organized hunts. I'm wondering what drives them. What's the reason for this? Why would finding things from the past be so important? They say they want to preserve history by finding it before developers hide it. But it also seems a little like the re-enactor movement, people who become obsessed with this. I want to know why, what dynamic is driving this, does it have to do with a time of life, with growing old, with nostalgia?

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig
I do believe domeone needs to give Bergie a metal detector. I think that ought to do the trick! hehehe....awright then.....ummm...hmmm

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig
maybe he could give it to that feller that wrote that there piece in that newspaper.....ummmm....hummmm

S

stefen

The Civil War has been over for almost 150 years and many of the relics that are not made of lead or brass are slowly deteriating and will eventually only provide ghost images.

In addition, the unprotected lands will eventually be developed as the urban edges encroach into the rural areas.

What are the dynamics behind the need or want to collect will need to be answered by behavior scientists...

Why do people collect nutcrackers, swizzel sticks or other mundane things?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
The Civil War has been over for almost 150 years and many of the relics that are not made of lead or brass are slowly deteriating and will eventually only provide ghost images.

In addition, the unprotected lands will eventually be developed as the urban edges encroach into the rural areas.

What are the dynamics behind the need or want to collect will need to be answered by behavior scientists...

Why do people collect nutcrackers, swizzel sticks or other mundane things?

And OH MY GOD, THOSE DAMNED PRECIOUS MOMENTS FIGURINES! Let's face it--folks can become obsessed with anything. World of Warcraft...Chess...Poker...Yardwork.... That article will probably make us out to be mentally unstable or ill individuals. There is already a twinge of that sentiment in the write-up. I agree with stefen 100%. This desire affects not only us. For those that collect only new things, much of what attracts us to the hobby is absent....

Well all I have to say is this: If someone was ACTUALLY musing as to whether or not nostalgia or middle age plays a part in this addiction, it would only take sixty seconds of time and a GOOGLE search for forums like this to find out that detectorists come in all ages! Silly. Perhaps these writers should talk to historians or archaeologists and ask them why recovering the past is so important. Sounds like a much more interesting article would be--as stefen suggests--an investigative report on "Packrats of the Mundane." ;)

::)

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread