What's new

Makers and years for these two gold rings?

Iron Patch

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,276
Reaction score
8,953
Golden Thread
3
Location
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could probably search some sites, and make some guesses, but can anyone say for sure? Even just knowing the year would be a good start to finding who made it. The pictures are the best I could shoot.
 

Attachments

  • gold1.webp
    gold1.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 830
  • gold2.webp
    gold2.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 997
  • gold1.webp
    gold1.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 776
  • gold2.webp
    gold2.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 864
:read2:

Second ring could be 1924, or 1964 :P I think 1924, the crown is for 22k and if that's a Leoperds head, it's London. Just the the maker now WW :icon_scratch: all I can say about the first ring is I think G is for 1942.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
::)

Changed my mind the first one is 1951 http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html note the shape of the box, the letter i, is in, it' the same. I will go with 1855 for the outher :thumbsup:

SS


I asked someone quite a few years back and believe they gave a date very close to 1908, if not it. Will see what everyone else says... 1908 or 51, really makes no difference to me.
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
::)

Changed my mind the first one is 1951 http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date_letters.html note the shape of the box, the letter i, is in, it' the same. I will go with 1855 for the outher :thumbsup:

SS


I asked someone quite a few years back and believe they gave a date very close to 1908, if not it. Will see what everyone else says... 1908 or 51, really makes no difference to me.
Why ask for the date if it makes no difference ::)


It makes no difference which year as long as the answer is correct.
 
Upvote 0
:-\

My mistake 1908 is right :-X

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:-\

My mistake 1908 is right :-X

SS
gold marks are confusing wait till you look at a few sites about the lion marks many different ones with different meanings .
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
taz42o said:


Those dates are along the lines of what I expected. The thin one I'm pretty sure is quite a few years older.

the thin one looks to have the head of one of the Georges to me.


Yes, that's what I thought too. This particular site had a pretty wide age (1700s-1900s)

I assume the George III head stamp mark went out of use when he did?

(I unchecked this post. Wasn't thinking, still don't know the makers)
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
taz42o said:


Those dates are along the lines of what I expected. The thin one I'm pretty sure is quite a few years older.

the thin one looks to have the head of one of the Georges to me.


Yes, that's what I thought too. This particular site had a pretty wide age (1700s-1900s)

I assume the George III head stamp mark went out of use when he did?

(I unchecked this post. Wasn't thinking, still don't know the makers)

yeah, looked again & its Geo III & yes went out of date when he he did.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
taz42o said:


Those dates are along the lines of what I expected. The thin one I'm pretty sure is quite a few years older.

the thin one looks to have the head of one of the Georges to me.


Yes, that's what I thought too. This particular site had a pretty wide age (1700s-1900s)

I assume the George III head stamp mark went out of use when he did?

(I unchecked this post. Wasn't thinking, still don't know the makers)

yeah, looked again & its Geo III & yes went out of date when he he did.

Then I guess we have more work to do. :thumbsup: Late George III would be very fitting to the majority of targets found.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
taz42o said:


Those dates are along the lines of what I expected. The thin one I'm pretty sure is quite a few years older.

the thin one looks to have the head of one of the Georges to me.


Yes, that's what I thought too. This particular site had a pretty wide age (1700s-1900s)

I assume the George III head stamp mark went out of use when he did?

(I unchecked this post. Wasn't thinking, still don't know the makers)

yeah, looked again & its Geo III & yes went out of date when he he did.

Then I guess we have more work to do. :thumbsup: Late George III would be very fitting to the majority of targets found.

got it in my book 1802.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
taz42o said:


Those dates are along the lines of what I expected. The thin one I'm pretty sure is quite a few years older.

the thin one looks to have the head of one of the Georges to me.


Yes, that's what I thought too. This particular site had a pretty wide age (1700s-1900s)

I assume the George III head stamp mark went out of use when he did?

(I unchecked this post. Wasn't thinking, still don't know the makers)

yeah, looked again & its Geo III & yes went out of date when he he did.

Then I guess we have more work to do. :thumbsup: Late George III would be very fitting to the majority of targets found.

got it in my book 1802.


That's pretty cool. It's old enough to make me interested in figuring out the maker. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.
 
Upvote 0
Im not adding anything thats not already known but someone found a ring with the same "ww" makers mark but no ID. I thought the explanation was good so Im posting it. Heres the link.
http://www.antique-jewelry-investor.com/gold-hallmark-query-comments.html

Help Identifying British Gold Hallmarks
by: Yvonne

I have a ring with w.w.ld / U / CROWN / 22 / BLANK SHIELD.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE MARKINGS MEAN

Hi Kate - the first mark will be the maker's mark. This does not have any reference to the hallmark. The next mark is the date letter. One of the most important things when trying to identify the date letter is the STYLE of the letter mark and the actual SHAPE.

Most date letters change every 20 years. Each place of assay has its own cycles of hallmarks which include a letter of the alphabet for each year, beginning with the letter A, and continuing through to Z . Also, the shape of the reserve or shield background changes with each cycle. A letter can be upper or lower case and of differing type faces, in order to distinguish it from the same letter in an earlier or later cycle.

The next is a Crown, which is the 'Quality' Mark which was introduced for 18ct and 22ct gold in 1798 and has been used ever since. The 22 indicates the gold quality or purity being 22 carat gold.

The last mark is a shield so probably assayed in Chester UK assay office. Each Shield however is slightly different.

You can compare assay marks and the shape of the letter mark with the hallmarks in the British Gold Council's booklet you can ***download free from Here. http://www.britishhallmarkingcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf


best,
Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre
ANTIQUE JEWELRY INVESTOR


 
Upvote 0
rodgerdodger said:
Hi IP
I looked at the style of the shields of the first ring and I would guess the G is 1855. The style of the shield on the second ring is of the 1930's and if it's O it would be 1938.


I think it's older and the G is for gold. Cru can probably confirm that.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
rodgerdodger said:
Hi IP
I looked at the style of the shields of the first ring and I would guess the G is 1855. The style of the shield on the second ring is of the 1930's and if it's O it would be 1938.


I think it's older and the G is for gold. Cru can probably confirm that.

No, its the date letter. The Lion is a British Standard mark, & normally it would have an assayers mark as well, like Birmingham or London. This would norrow the search for the makers mark.
(Plus Geo III head)
The date letter G, not only has to match the letter style of that year but the shape of the stamp that encircles it.
 
Upvote 0
Looking at the link bigc posted (pg 12) I'm getting 1802 as a date for the first one (London hallmarks - the other link from taz is Birmingham). Note the marks above each series 1679 to 1696, 1697 to 1719.....As far as the maker on the first one - good luck. I imagine w/ no makers mark it'll be somewhat difficult.
The second ring could be London 1904 or Birmingham 1908 - w.w. - not sure yet :P
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom