Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I found this "coin" the other night that I do not know what it is, and I am hoping someone here can help. Its copper, slightly bigger then a half dollar. On one side, in the center of the "coin" are several men in a small boat. Some of the men appear to be natives, while others are obviously European. Above the image it says "400TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE DISCOVERY OF AMERICA" and below the image it says "1492-OCT.-1892". On the back, is a picture of Christopher Colombus' bust (head and shoulders for the pervs that want me to post pictures of Christopher Columbus's boobies), with Christopher on the left side of his head and Columbus on the right side. Around his neck is one of those frilly things they used to wear back in medieval times. Around the rim of the side with his image on it, appears to be tiny shields.

Ok, now I know this is some sort of commemorative honoring the 400th anniversary, so I do not need any one to point that out. What I am looking for is if someone knows a web page where I can read about this "coin". I am wondering if it was really minted in 1892. It was found deep enough, that I would think it was lost many years ago, but it is still in pretty decent shape, except for a hole that may or may not have been drilled in it to wear it as a necklace. I say may or may not have been, because it looks like it should be there, smooth edges and such, but it is also right in the middle of the word AMERICA. Also, if anyone knows a value of this "coin"?

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Anthony, there are literally hundreds of Columbus commemorative medals, and any of them would be considered a nice find. However, based on your detailed description, I'm guessing that this may be the one you found. If it is, it generally retails for about $20-25 in Very Fine condition. I don't know of any websites where you can research it, but it's listed in the books Discovering America - The Coin Collecting Connection by Russell Rulau, and So-Called Dollars by Hibler & Kappen.

Attachments

• CC.JPG
    CC.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you PBK, that is the one. Obviously, its not in that good of condition, having been dug out very destructive soil (even newer coins are barely identifiable) and being between 7 and 8 inches deep. Any idea of when it was minted? I'd say 1892, since it commemerates the 400th discovery, but you're the expert. On a side note, it was found right next to a 1920 Buffalo nickel that has EF details, and an 1883 Indian Head that has G details. All three items were about the same depth, so I'd guess they were dropped maybe at the same time, by maybe the same person.

Anthony

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Can't tell you too much about it— sorry, no experts here... we're all still going to school!— but it does indeed date from 1892. (The mintage may have continued into 1893.) It's one of a wide variety of what are known as "Columbus Bust Medals." As you know, there was a real "Columbus craze" in 1892-93, due largely in part to the World's Columbian Exposition (world's fair) being held in Chicago at that time. However, this is not an official medal of the expo.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread