What's new

Manticore settings in seawater

Crunchyhippo

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
292
Reaction score
611
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
For those of you with Manticores, what settings do you adjust after going in the water to detect? Do you adjust ground balance or sensitivity or custom settings? I make sure I'm set to surf and seawater (I think it is) and maybe change the volume, but other that that, I've been leaving the settings the same as what they are when I'm searching the sand. However, I've been getting annoying squeals only when in the water, making me think that I may have a setting wrong instead of some physical problem.
 
Upvote 0
You can also change the recovery speed to help calm it down in salt water.
 
Sounds like a fairly common pitch problem you encounter in surf/seawater. Like already noted, definitely reduce the sensitivity and play with the recovery speed. As discussed elsewhere, the manticore is powerful but sensitive! Unlikely in this case, but if there is water intrusion in your coil, you can get high pitched noises, too.
 
I hunt in saltwater a lot w the Manticore and found that it detects saltwater with a dot/blob centered a VID of 2. To avoid the audio response or squeel, the Senstivity has to be no more than 16 or so in salt water. However, if you block-out VIDs from 0-3, I can increase sensitivity to 20-21 w/o issues (and I seldom find a good target below 4 even when 0-3 is in use on dry sand). FYI
 
How do you adjust recovery speed? I don't recall that as a setting, unless you mean the amount of time the display stays on the screen.
As my dad used to tell me when I was a kid, "when all else fails, read the instructions", lol. From page 54 of the Manticore Instruction Manual:

Manticore Recovery Speed Instructions Capture 5-13-25.webp
 
Well, I've discovered that if my detector is set to "Beach - General," it seems to work fine when underwater. But when I have it set to "Surf and Seawater" it squawks non-stop. I have no idea why. I turned off ground balance at someone's suggestion, but it made no difference. At least one setting works.
 
Well, I've discovered that if my detector is set to "Beach - General," it seems to work fine when underwater. But when I have it set to "Surf and Seawater" it squawks non-stop. I have no idea why. I turned off ground balance at someone's suggestion, but it made no difference. At least one setting works.
What detector are you using?
 
Manticore according to his first post.
 
I was told with certainty to keep my detector on "Surf and Seawater" if I'm going to be in the water, which I've done. I also made sure to keep the sensitivity at 16, and turn Ground Balance off. It still squawks and beeps endlessly. BUT - when I change the setting to "Beach - General," 97% the extraneous noise disappears. I tested it with a bottle cap, and it picked it up just fine (of course it wasn't buried, but I had to start somewhere). I have no idea why I get so much noise with the Surf and Seawater setting in the water. In fact, it makes noise whether I'm in or out of the water.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom