What's new

Maps

Toxophilite

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hot Springs, AR
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know where you can find historical maps. I'm looking for stage coach stops, creek fords and such. Also old Topo maps. I've checked my local library and historical society and had no luck. Thanks for any help
 
Museums are a great source, one can usually get photo copies made from their maps....
 
Hey Archer,

I usually search all the key words I can on several internet search engines. Then look for a real map store. Not Wallyworld, but a true map store. If you have one anywhere within driving distance, they are gold mines. Go in person and talk with them. They may not have what you are after in stock (not a lot of commercial viability), but they know where to get them. It is well worth the price they charge for this service. Also, don't forget historical topo maps from USGS. They show buildings, mines, caves, old trails and roads, etc.
 
historicaerials.com they have aerial photos of regions as early as possible and topo maps for anything earlier. they also have nice overlay (slide) feature to compare what was then to now. Also has a lat/long feature. drag cursor over location and will give you lat/long you can put into a gps unit (I use Delorme PN-20 for hiking and geocaching).
 
inbox.com/OldMaps Hay, this was just above your post in the heading. Frank...
PS: I have found a lot of good ones in the Library of Congress on line hand print-2_edited-5.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom