Mark On Old Topo

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking at some old topo maps from my area and on two different maps of the same location, 1948 and 1958, there's a mark I can't identify. Neither map has a legend so I don't know what all the marks mean. It's a fairly large red "X" followed by two black vertical parallel lines. So it looks something like this X l l. Does anyone know what it might mean? Thanks.

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If all else fails, contact the mapmaker company. BTW, what is on "X marks the spot' today? Also, do you see "X I" or "X III" on the same maps?
Don.....

Thanks for the reply, I could try contacting them. It appears nowhere else on the map. And it's definitely not a Roman numeral, on both maps the "X" is red and the vertical lines are black and spaced a bit from the "X". On one of the two maps the lines are also shifted down below the "X" a bit. It's possible the "X" and the lines are two separate features but very close together.

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the BLM website it gives a master list of common markings and abbreviations on maps from California. It says an X is used for a Mine Prospect. No markings that look like 2 vertical lines though.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
During the past 6 or seven months were you able to get to the site and see what is there today where the "X II" is shown on your map?
Don....
PS: Junior967,
I like your avatar:
_crest-mackay.gif
2 × 19

Last edited:

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
I was looking at some old topo maps from my area and on two different maps of the same location, 1948 and 1958, there's a mark I can't identify. Neither map has a legend so I don't know what all the marks mean. It's a fairly large red "X" followed by two black vertical parallel lines. So it looks something like this X l l. Does anyone know what it might mean? Thanks.

JD, I'm going to refer you to this post and if you look through the pictures from the 82 link you will find you marks. You may be on to something. Good Luck :-) M

[h=1]Thread: Jesuit / Spanish markers and monuments[/h]« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

• [h=6]View First Unread[/h]
  • [h=6]LinkBack[/h]
  • [h=6]Thread Tools[/h]
  • [h=6]Search Thread[/h]
  • [h=6]Rate This Thread[/h]
  • [h=6]Display[/h]

• Yesterday, 08:16 PM
    threadstarter.png

gb.png

Nov 2013

Leased devices dependent upon site

Cache Hunting

[h=2]Jesuit / Spanish markers and monuments[/h]
    Good Evening All (or good day depending where you are !)

I've been following the threads in here about lost Jesuit / Spanish treasure,mines and the markers that can be decoded.

My big question is: How many verified finds have there been from decoding these clues ?

I know about the 82 found: 82 found and a few caches uncovered by Brewer and others (later items but the same techniques I guess) but does anyone have evidence (photographic, links or otherwise) to suggest this is a venture worth pursuing ?

For me personally it would cost a lot of money to get involved but I have found some interesting results during my research over the past 2 years and have some funds from successful finds in the UK (all within the Law I hasten to add).

If you don't want to give locations etc away that is understandable, you did the hard work, why let others profit from it ? But if anyone wishes to share a (verifiable) success story then please post or PM. In turn I have some "theories" that may be of interest.

Thank You in advance.

Jimbo^​

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking through the USGS topographic Map Symbols - The only "X" I see says "Prospect", The only vertical lines I see points to Over or under passes.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I've been there a couple times since. The area in question is now just a grassy field. There's nothing visible on the surface to indicate what, if anything, was there. I didn't make any significant finds, just trash and clad. I'm posting sections from the two topos the markings appear on, just so you can see for yourself. The markings appear on the first map, 1948, and the second map, 1958. The next map is 1967, by which year the markings are gone from all future maps.

topo_1948.jpg topo_1958.jpg

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Wow ... I've never seen that double-line symbol before. The brown 'x' is a very common 'prospect' symbol in mining areas, as RingFinder mentioned, but it doesn't seem likely adjacent to a swamp. You mentioned the area is now a grassy field and the two lines are no longer on the new maps - are they at a low point? If so, perhaps the symbol marks a spot where the swamp was drained - a pump station, old syphon pipes, trench, etc.?

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
An X will typically indicate a vertical control point, third order or better, recoverable mark. A recoverable mark is a naturally occurring landmark. The term "recoverable" means that it can be readily located on the terrain: for example, a property boundary monument, a railroad intersection, the corner of a large building, etc. When a landmark occurs naturally, no tablet or benchmark is necessary to mark the position. Is this near sea level? It could indicate 11 feet above sea level. If not, it is most likely a "spot elevation", used in that specific area. It could be that there was a marker attached to a tree and the area was logged in the early 60s and the marker was removed and consequently was not shown on future maps.

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An X will typically indicate a vertical control point, third order or better, recoverable mark. A recoverable mark is a naturally occurring landmark. The term "recoverable" means that it can be readily located on the terrain: for example, a property boundary monument, a railroad intersection, the corner of a large building, etc. When a landmark occurs naturally, no tablet or benchmark is necessary to mark the position. Is this near sea level? It could indicate 11 feet above sea level. If not, it is most likely a "spot elevation", used in that specific area. It could be that there was a marker attached to a tree and the area was logged in the early 60s and the marker was removed and consequently was not shown on future maps.

Thanks for the reply, the area is an average 12 feet above sea level, so your theory of it indicating "11" would make sense. And it was a heavily wooded area at one time, so the possible tree marker would also make sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions