What's new

Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

WheatbackDigger

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
313
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

I can finally mark the Barber Half off my "coins to find" list. 1898, not the best condition, but it's a keeper. Also got a silver Washington, a Merc worn thin with no date, a silver St. Christopher, five wheaties, a handful of clad and the usual trash. Found with my Etrac in a public school yard. I've been passing on this school yard for the last five years. The school was built in 1950's and it didn't appeal to me as a place for old coins. After researching some old Sanborn maps, I found out that this property has had a school on it since the 1880s. It produced a couple of Indian heads and a seated dime earlier this year.
 

Attachments

  • barber.webp
    barber.webp
    24 KB · Views: 612
  • barber2.webp
    barber2.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 603
  • coins.webp
    coins.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Good digs -- way to go on the research too! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Heck good or bad condition doesnt matter its still a barber, and a mighty fine one at that. I have not been fortunate enough to dig one yet, Congrats on a great save :thumbsup:

Cw
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Excellent finds. Congrats.

DM
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Great looking coin!
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Very nice
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

I love those Barber halves. Great find. The school in my town is on property listed on the Sanborn maps as being an 1880's school. I just figured everything had been bulldozed so much that it wasn't worth detecting. You sure changed my mind! Hopefully, its not the same school you just hit. Any chance you are from the Southern Illinois?
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Congrats on a great find :thumbsup: I have yet to find a Barber half.

Nat
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Nice finds WTG
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Awesome finds,Not much better than silver but gold
Congrats :thumbsup:

fortbball9
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

I've been passing on this school yard for the last five years. The school was built in 1950's and it didn't appeal to me as a place for old coins.

Looks can be deceiving!
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Looks like it's not too worn to me .nice coin :thumbsup:
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

Big Silver and a Barber ... it definitely deserves a big CONGRATZ!
 
Re: Mark this one off the "to find" list....1898 Barber Half

better than the one I found last yr 1899-S in Fair to gd.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom