Marker?

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was suggested that I post this here. Maybe someone has an idea of what it is?

This is about 2 feet long. I came across it in early spring. It was near a large boulder in the woods, far from any trail. It had some small stones placed in a circle around it. At first I thought it was a large stick, stuck in the middle of the small stones, but I noticed it was made of stone.
There’s a stone wall from the 1850s about 20 yards to the west of it.
There’s a stream about 20 yards to the east of it.
The area is overgrown woods, now conservation land and the closest trail is 200 yards from it.
There’s a major Indian east/west route (now a state road) 200 yards to the North.

Any idea of what it might be? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1172.JPG
    DSCN1172.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN1171.JPG
    DSCN1171.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN1176.JPG
    DSCN1176.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN1174.JPG
    DSCN1174.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 346
I never knew this whole topic existed...
I've been exploring these woods for 20 years and have found many odd things.
Like this 1930s aerial photo (top left photo) which appears to have writing on it. I've found this same 1930s topo in the USDA's map collection but it does not show that 'writing'.

The 1971 and 2005 photos show the same area.

Attachments

• writing_on_aerial_photo_1.jpg
    writing_on_aerial_photo_1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 120
  • writing_on_aerial_photo_2.jpg
    writing_on_aerial_photo_2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 125
  • writing_on_aerial_photo_3.jpg
    writing_on_aerial_photo_3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Desertmoons posted a link about rock formations like this that were found in New England but I can't remember where she posted it. I think the makers and circles were Native American and according to her link there is group in New England that studies these things. There are also theories that New England was visited by ancient explorers from Europe.

Desertmoons posted a link about rock formations like this that were found in New England but I can't remember where she posted it. I think the makers and circles were Native American and according to her link there is group in New England that studies these things. There are also theories that New England was visited by ancient explorers from Europe.

I have some photos of some circles here in these woods, plus a very clear turtle, made from rock piles about 8 feet across. I’ll have to find the photos.
Regarding a larger circle, years ago at the local Historical society in my town I saw a photograph from around 1880 which showed some people standing around a circle of stones about 30 feet in diameter. The caption said it was on some guy’s field, had been there for as long as anyone could remember and was built by Native Americans (not the term they used in the caption). I had forgotten about this photo until I started doing this research. So far I have not been able to find that photograph again, but I found a similar one, and using Google Earth have found what I believe is the location. It is now a jumbled pile of rocks between someone’s back yard and the rear property line of a local business.
Two photos below:
Photo circa 1900 and Google Earth topography:

1900:
stone_circle_1.jpg

Google earth:
stone_circle_2.jpg

I have some photos of some circles here in these woods, plus a very clear turtle, made from rock piles about 8 feet across. I’ll have to find the photos.
Regarding a larger circle, years ago at the local Historical society in my town I saw a photograph from around 1880 which showed some people standing around a circle of stones about 30 feet in diameter. The caption said it was on some guy’s field, had been there for as long as anyone could remember and was built by Native Americans (not the term they used in the caption). I had forgotten about this photo until I started doing this research. So far I have not been able to find that photograph again, but I found a similar one, and using Google Earth have found what I believe is the location. It is now a jumbled pile of rocks between someone’s back yard and the rear property line of a local business.
Two photos below:
Photo circa 1900 and Google Earth topography:

1900:
View attachment 720085

Google earth:
View attachment 720086

Do you know what the upright structure is at the top of the hill? Is it related to the stone circle or something modern?

It's a water tower on the next hill behind the stone circle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back