olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, firstly I would like to complicate things by suggesting the Tesoro Compadre ($160). It's made in the USA. It comes with a lifetime warranty (be sure to send in the card within 10 days) unlike the detectors you mentioned. It's also slightly better performing with much superior build quality at the same light weight. The Compadre is known to love small jewelry (and pulltabs, of course; can't have one without the other). You would not be disappointed. I've been known to call the Compadre the cheapest thing that can be called a real metal detector.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, firstly I would like to complicate things by suggesting the Tesoro Compadre ($160). It's made in the USA. It comes with a lifetime warranty (be sure to send in the card within 10 days) unlike the detectors you mentioned. It's also slightly better performing with much superior build quality at the same light weight. The Compadre is known to love small jewelry (and pulltabs, of course; can't have one without the other). You would not be disappointed. I've been known to call the Compadre the cheapest thing that can be called a real metal detector.

My very humble opinion is,..I would agree wholeheartdly with purchasing a "tesoro"..rugged and hi performance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tesoro Compadre!!!!

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My very humble opinion is,..I would agree wholeheartdly with purchasing a "tesoro"..rugged and hi performance.

I know the Garretts and like them because they are user friendly and excellent for a beginner in that regard. I am open to other opinions. Is the Tesoro easy to use, out of the box, for a beginner? Think of a person who has never metal detected before. Just wondering because I don't know. What say yee mates?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the Garretts and like them because they are user friendly and excellent for a beginner in that regard. I am open to other opinions. Is the Tesoro easy to use, out of the box, for a beginner? Think of a person who has never metal detected before. Just wondering because I don't know. What say yee mates?

Turn on and GO! Easy, and warranteed for Life! :icon_thumright:

astrowolf67

Mar 2, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started MD'ing, with an F2, and love it. I bought my son the ACE 150, which is physically very close to the 250, and prefer my F2. The F2 seems to be more balanced leading to less fatigue from extended swinging.

nickle and dime

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend White's detectors. I have been using a Coinmaster 1DB Series 2 for 30 yrs. Only thing I haven't found yet is a gold coin. Still looking though!

OP
OP
H

hugo589

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
I went on youtube and this guy found a bunch of stuff with the garret 250

victor

Greenie
Apr 25, 2012
Remsen, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a Garrett 250. Found About $30 in coins , 5 toy cars, one silver ring ( my wife took for a pinky ring ) at the local ball fields last year.

OP
OP
H

hugo589

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Does the garret do its job
And like does it pinpoint good? How deep does it go?

victor

Greenie
Apr 25, 2012
Remsen, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpoints well. Like all detectors it depends on your soil, rock and target how deep it will go. One foot is no problem.

OP
OP
H

hugo589

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
I live in florida and the beach is 20 min away from me do u think that it will go 1 foot

victor

Greenie
Apr 25, 2012
Remsen, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had mine to the beach in New Hampshire last summer I thought it performed great. Salt water didn't seam to bother it much. Maybe I don't know as much as others but I like my Garrett.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanna throw my two cents in here. I've used the 250 for over a year here in PA. On average, I can get about 8" max in good soil conditions ie very little mineralization. At a NJ beach, maybe 10" or so in dry sand only. Wet sand caused it to go crazy because of the salt water. I don't recommend for this wet sand at all.

HH,

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread