What's new

material ID help.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Central Fla.
It looks like nothing I've ever found and I've not been able to find anyone else with any of it.. The inclusion is a creamy gray to white with a semi translucent crystal material in it that is blue.
I'm guessing it came from north of the area somewhere.
My apologies to those who have seen this thing 100 times but I'm still looking for the same answer.

IMG_20130417_163759-enhanced.webp



ForumRunner_20140429_183937.webp
 
Upvote 0
I used to have a Kirk and it was a lustreous blue material. Mine had some off-white/grey colorations in it but it looked a lot older than yours pictured here. It was from Duvall Co. Other than that I don't know what to tell ya. Nice point!
 
This is a middle archaic point.
Thanks
 
The conditions in which it spent most of its time will have a lot to do with the amount and type of patina if that's what you mean by the look of age.
 
Awwe..heck

739485d1360594533t-big-points-forumrunner_20130211_095511.webp
 
I do have a question. What difference in the patina would an arrowhead have if it was found in saltwater, sand, or even further inland there? Would an arrowhead with more patina (off-white colorations), mean that it was found in saltwater or not?
 
Saltwater on our material here usually either leaves a bluish coloration or a black patina.
Inland sites normally leave a crusty white coating... The tanic " Blackwater" rivers and streams actually have individual patinas that are identifiable from one another if you really get to know the area... And depending on the ground water movement and the amount of minerals...also limestone in the area the patina can change drastically within a distance of 5 or 10 feet.
An abundance of broken down shell material can also have another effect.
Even a damn ant mound can have an effect..lol
Coral will also react different than chert
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking hornstone but idk
 
Thank you guys
 
So is dacite found in FL?
 
Nah man Dactite is an igneous rock similar to Rayholite
 
Appreciate anyone and everyone helping me out but this is definitely a form of chert/flint
 
I'm gonna look through my stuff I think I have some of that
 
Hear is a piece that is more brown from creek stain but it looks to have same make up
 

Attachments

  • image-2764818923.webp
    image-2764818923.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 67
Fort payne sure comes many different shades hope you figure it out
 
I'm not from FL and I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing it's a form of chert from a limestone formation. There is a formation here in NC where silicified shale or chert-like nodules were quarried. The materials can range in many colors (for example yellow, orange, gold, green, grey, brown, blue, black). That quarry contains crystallized limestones (silica replaced calcium carbonates) and they can have fossils too. That formation itself is ancient in millions of years, probably resulting from the same process that forms chert (diagenesis). I'm guessing there is probably a formation like that in FL too.
 
Last edited:
That's sure a nice arrowhead GatorBoy, unique alright!
 
Thanks y'all... I guess I should explain my question further.
There are several different chert formations within the state of Florida and Georgia.. They get referred to by different names according to their region usually... And some have very different characteristics
There is also different varieties of compressed algae and agatized coral... Point being when I asked for material ID I was fully aware that it was chert/flint.. A lot of folks take it a step further and refer to specific material... It will probably take somebody well versed in southeastern material to stop on by and lend some info... I have some ideas of my own but was looking for a couple opinions from folks who know this region's material well.
Thank you all very much just the same.
Believe me I learned what chert was and how it formed a long time ago...lol
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom