What's new

Maybe a 2009 summer hunt

Please turn dantheman loose on it! Would love to hear what he can turn up!
Mark
 
Will do... HEAR THAT DAN TIME TO GET TO WORK..LOL.. i think he already is :icon_jokercolor:
 
Hello, everyone,

Houghton Lake would be a great place to have a hunt. I would be very interrested in getting in on that. My brother-in-
law had a cabin there for a few years and we spent a lot of week-ends there. The schools there have a lot of property
that they use for clasic car shows and other events which might make for a lot of coins and no telling what else down below. Out on 55, west of town a few miles is a demolition derby track that might be something to look into. The mowed
lawns and fields (where they park) just might be productive. Not real sure though. As far as I know there is not a lot
of beach area on either lake because nearly all private property. I had no metal detector when we were going there so never looked around with that in mind.

Goldie, you mentioned you couldn't go the last weekend of June and the July 4th. That is fine anyway. It's always crowded there all summer, but that haliday, it's wall-to-wall people and cars. I kind of think we probably would be better
off going to that area for a hunt on a non-holiday weekend, anyway.

That Whiteheads that was mentioned is a good place to eat. Whatever you guys decide on; I would very much like to join you on this hunt.

We are having problems with this computer, so we're taking it in to be repaired. Will therefore be gone for a few days.

Will be back in touch in a few days.

Ray karenray08
 
I did see a new public opening up this fall.. still had orange fence but said public beach.... maybe a new beach or a old not sure but im going there for christmas i can check it out.. there is a resturant there that has the best ham and eggs i ever had..
 
i kow that camp area i talked about ,the back area has a boat- canoe landing on a north branch of muskegon river or reesburg dam state park ? about 1/2 mi away ,both
are on 55 west going towards Lake City . to the south of 55 if i remember right is a lot of wetland and bird sanctuary and i know there is a bird Sanctuary 1/8 mi no. of downtown with a pier/dock handicap acessable area. with the rivers in the area im sure there has to be somewhere to pan . never have tried it but someone can teach me. used to camp in the 60,s at spring lake and old 131 state camp grounds. cant believe how much traverse city, cadillac has spread out. fife lake and manton used to have a just gas station, bar and general store/bait shop etc man o man
 
i never panned before but im willing to try it
 
anymore thoughts anyone? what wkend ?
 
I caught wind of possible excavating going on in Battle Creek for a new school site and the area it's at was used during the civil war for training, it's right where Dickman road ends, I made a lot of neat finds in the area this past summer and some of them were military relics, I scored my first cannon ball there this year it's a 12 pounder.

12lb.webp

A few days before I found the cannonball an old timer found a union belt plate in the same spot. The spot where I found it is under pavement and new grass now and is the very last 2 blocks of Dickman Road but the street it T's on is the new school site, there's 3 lot's already cleared off and my brother and I both made some good finds in them, there's several houses that will be torn down and cleared off hopefully next summer.
 
Ok someone told me there was a old town called meredith around houghton lake well i stummbled upon a treasure tale says a old saloon keeper buried cache of gold coins.... i might looke into this more
 
from the maps i just gotten... battle creek is a hot spot..
 
There is surpose to be a few good places to look for gold in central MI. could get together to do some MDing and some prospecting...mlayers
 
im up for gold prospecting 100% i have the time and some money to go up there..
 
karenray08 said:
Hello, everyone,

Houghton Lake would be a great place to have a hunt. I would be very interrested in getting in on that. My brother-in-
law had a cabin there for a few years and we spent a lot of week-ends there. The schools there have a lot of property
that they use for clasic car shows and other events which might make for a lot of coins and no telling what else down below. Out on 55, west of town a few miles is a demolition derby track that might be something to look into. The mowed
lawns and fields (where they park) just might be productive. Not real sure though. As far as I know there is not a lot
of beach area on either lake because nearly all private property. I had no metal detector when we were going there so never looked around with that in mind.

Goldie, you mentioned you couldn't go the last weekend of June and the July 4th. That is fine anyway. It's always crowded there all summer, but that haliday, it's wall-to-wall people and cars. I kind of think we probably would be better
off going to that area for a hunt on a non-holiday weekend, anyway.

That Whiteheads that was mentioned is a good place to eat. Whatever you guys decide on; I would very much like to join you on this hunt.

We are having problems with this computer, so we're taking it in to be repaired. Will therefore be gone for a few days.

Will be back in touch in a few days.

Ray karenray08
Hello Ray...Did you hunt the area they tore up in front of Port Huron Hospital last summer? We did and got asked to leave by the Hospital security twice!! We were detecting in the road and sidewalk they tore up to redue,and I thought that it was public property because it is a street? Found some nice stuff though.Any way we are going to hit the old race track in Port Huron in the spring which is now a School..Do you know where that is? I have a old map of it anyway so if you up to a hunt let me know..
 
It's a crying shame that people don't want you to metal detect at construction sites. I'm luckly enough to know all the construction companies in the town that I live in and they all let me detect at their sites. I've only had one guy tell me no and he was not from this area. They had popped the cement from a garage and I asked if I could detect in the dirt and he said no because he had alot of tools laying around didn't want someone to steal them " as in me". In my town the city owns 20 feet on each side of the road, but you might need to check with the city that you live in to find out if that's true there.

Wolverine.
 
sweet. i hope this works out i would like to meet a few people here this summer
 
Ya all three of us are committed to hitting every hunt in MI this year!
 
include me im up for any hunt anytime anywhere
 
I'm pretty much an amateur and never been on a hunt with others, but would love to be a part of it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom