Maybe moving to CA in 2013

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Hello all,

I live in Florida in the Tampa Bay area. Ok, here's my situation, I'm going to be laid off come 1/11/13. Now, add to this, my wife's grandpa is elderly (87) but lives alone (there was family there but they decided to move out and left him alone). My wife wants us to move out there so he's not alone figuring I can be out of work and looking anywhere. All this means that sometime in 2013 I will be driving/moving to Bloomington, CA. Can anybody tell me what I have to look forward too. My wife hasn't lived there in over 15+ yrs. I was hoping with all the people on here that there would be some that are familiar with the area and can give me a heads up as to area, jobs, people. I've already read some good things about Big Bear but not so good about Fontana (I think that was it), anyway, I'd like to hear from those in the know. I'd appreciate any help/info you can give.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...........you poor soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1All of Calif SUX.....not for what it is,but who it is,what it has been made!Best state in the nation.......formally

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You'll be about half way between Riverside and San Bernardino, surrounded by freeways--so getting out and about will not be a problem. Real estate values have been hit very hard in that area so....if you're a buyer, you'll have a large selection at reasonably prices--relative to California. And the best part...you're only about a 3.5 hour drive to VEGAS !!
Don....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, Tony! CA is what you make it.... as anywhere else is. Keep a positive outlook and make it what you want it to be. TTC

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Thanks for the help guys, I was hoping for more general/ or specific info on that area but every bit helps. I've never actually been to Vegas, except as a layover for about an hour or two. I've also heard that Quartzsite, AZ is pretty neat to check out too, there's some big flea market type thing that takes place there or did take place anyway.

Kuger, I'm not sure what you're getting at by who it is and what it has been made. Hopefully you can explain it so I know whaat you're referring too.

Always good advice to make the best of it no matter where you go, totally agree with you TC.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are very lucky in being able to move to California. I moved away from twin peaks in 2002....huge mistake. I love Big Bear and there is lots of abandoned cabins, buildings, and gold mines just outside of Big Bear. In my last experience it was cleaner than down the mountain. I would leave maine and go back in a instant if I could. Unfortunately it is very liberal politically, I believe that is what was being refered to in a previous post. Anyone want to buy a house on 5 + acres in maine? Just kidding...but not much!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very liberal politically, I believe that is what was being refered to in a previous post.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BINGO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TWP700

Dec 13, 2012
So. Ca.
Detector(s) used
xt305
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll tell you the truth...in that area: Bloomington, Colton, S.B. and Fontana you have a lot of gang activity, so be prepared.

S

stefen

Bloomington is located in what is referred to as the Inland Empire.

A lot of San Bernardino county is considered to be 'High Desert', whereas Arrowhead and Big Bear are mountain communities, that survive on tourism and winter sports...and limited hunting.

Today, San Bernardino County is experiencing a depressed economy and many of the cities are nearing bankruptcy. A lot of this is driven by State taxes being redirected by Gov. Clown...CalPers and Unions are another sore subject causing the depletion of city services and increased local taxes.

That region cannot be compared to neighboring Riverside, Los Angeles or Orange Counties when it comes to job opportunities and economic growth.

Beginning about 10 years ago, Riverside and San Bernardino counties experienced a major housing growth...and couldn't build fast enough. Comparatively, the homes were as well built but at lower costs due to land costs and infastructure development. More recently, many homes have returned to the markplace due to banks and lenders calling the loans.

There is a lot of gang activity, but that is common to most of southern California, as well.

If you are in the construction trades, job opportunities may be slim, and are now just experiencing a slight recovery.

Historically, Colton was the home of Kaiser Permanente (aluminum mfg) and is now experiencing a regrowth from an industrial region to an urban setting.,,and contains all of the problems that accompany growth...

Now, if you want to talk gold and silver mining, this area is the hub of the activity.

There's lot of data available beginning with the site listed below:

Bloomington, CA - Google Search

Last edited:

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alota gangs wich sucks and cholos and some pretty nasty folk in Cali so watch out. People are hostile out here. I suspect its because there are too manny people of different races out here and no one nows what the hell the other person speaks or where there from. So you get alot of rude races out here. Cali is more like a third world country within the United States.

S

stefen

Now the down side to the region...

Some additional information that you will need to add to your folio....WEATHER

The Inland Empire is the pits from March till Late October...many days in the triple digits...(100+)

No humidity...just a dry heat.

The balance of the year, the Inland Empire remains to be a weather pit...cold winters with snow at times in the higher elevations.

Then there are the Santa Ana winds...which range in groupings of 3 days or more and begin usually in mid-October...Interstate 12 & 215 are closed at times due to gusts upwards to 70 - 100 MPH.

Dust storms, go along with the Santa Ana Winds...I mean major dust storms.

During a wind storm, it not unusual to see all big rigs and RVS parked on thbe highways, facing into the winds...rocking and bucking, and some flipped over.

Now, bet you can't guess where I'd rather live?

Yep...Northern California in the Giant Redwoods...50 to 80's year-round...low population...and a crowded freeway lasts minutes, if any.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Ask and ye shall receive, wow!
Again, thanks for the info, especially Stefen. Some of that I've heard but most of Stefens post was new to me, thank you! If we go, I'm hoping to find work not far from grandpas in Bloomington, I really don't want to travel into LA, I don't like big cities, heck I don't even like going into Tampa and LA is how much bigger? Her grandparents have had this house for as long as she can remember, so they've had it for about 40 yrs. I don't recall her ever saying there was an incident happening at their house but that a few blocks away is some crappy areas. Needless to say, I won't be taking any midnight strolls. I'm a medical biller (7 yrs) and the wife is a CNA, between that and I worked in a mfg for about 7-8 yrs before this we're hoping to find something fairly quick but we'll see.

It's funny you mention the gold and silver mines. After I posted yesterday I started googling some things and came across Holcombe Trail and some other places that reall aren't that far away from there. I didn't get to MD much here in the Bay Area but I'm hoping that if we go to CA that I'll be able to do some. The one thing I'll miss from here is fishing, went pretty often thou not as much lately. Ok, I'm just blabbering now, sorry for being long winded.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we do get here sometimes is good weather beaches are fun to hunt and prospecting etc ok . But just keep on eye on folk when your detecting out here because every now and then yull get a smart azz or trouble maker. Good luck with everything.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Big Bear is a four-seasoned resort areas located north of Bloomington--at nearly 7,000 feet. (Think snow and an occasional black bear.) It's 'native' population is about 5,000 but swells to nearly 100k on certain holidays. It's usually above the smog in the LA basin (including Bloomington and Fontana) and I doubt there is a significant presence of gangs in Big Bear. If you need work, consider this area as in the recreational tourist industry.
Here's the Chamber of Commerce's website for the area: Big Bear Chamber of Commerce - Big Bear, California
Don.......

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya usually the better spots like big bear orange county and some beach areas arent too bad.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I just saw your next post Stefen, and you don't paint a pretty picture. Let me add that I've been to my wifes grandparents house once about 10 yrs ago, don't remember much about the area and we were tourists pretty much, we kept going places, even spent a couple on nights over by Disney. However, you mentioned northern Cali, funny you should mention that. When my wife and I first met, (long distance thing that worked out) she was living Crescent City, I went there for about 2 weeks. Absolutetly beautiful. We got serious in '99 and discussed who would go where. The only reason I didn't move there is that there were no jobs, I was in mfg at the time, making a little $13 an hour. If I was doing the medical billing then, I very well might be a resident of that area right now. I got to see Arcadia, Eureka, Brookings and Medford (yeah, I know, the last 2 are in Oregon). I've been in FL since I was 6, I'm 47 now now, never saw anything like that before. After that I've wanted to rent a car and drive 101 or 5 (can't remember) from south Cali all the way up the coast, I think it ends somewhere in Washington state.

OP
OP
Tony66

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
A place to live isn't an issue, we'll be living with grandpa. Believe me, I wouldn't go this close to LA voluntarily. However, for a FL boy, even Bloomington is a huge change of scenery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread