What's new

MDing in the snow?

Mr.Jody

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2008
Messages
742
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Location
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
MD'ing in the snow?

Well, snow on the ground,and where I'm from , we dont getthat stuff. Question is can you md in the snow? Any special tips or just get out there and just do it?
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

Metal detecting in the snow no problem. Now frozen ground is another story. If it is too frozen more than inch or so I look for unfrozen spots if you can find them or just give up till spring. I,ve seen a few diggers and shovels snapped in two in the winter. Having to dig more than 15 minutes to get a target is not my idea of fun. My 2.

Ed D.
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

Go for it. If you got the itch-itch it.
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

Axe ly.. it's better you can see your foot prints....so you no were you were.......... :thumbsup:
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

I metal detected a protected site for archeoalogist a few years back and the ground was too frozen to dig. We marked all the signals with spray paint and they dug them when the ground thawed...lol.

NJ
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

The way I look at it, the "oldies" wait for no one.
I guess it boils down to how bad you want to get out and hunt.

Last year around the Chicago area, I've pretty much hunted all year-round,
even when there was 3" of snow on the ground and it was 20°F.

I love to "winter-hunt" the forest preserves. If we have an early snow-cover,
the ground is still going to be relatively soft enough to dig. . . even if there's
an inch or so of frost. It's wonderful to be able hunt those areas that were
untouchable during the summer.

Even If I don't find anything cool, it's still great to be out there hunting :)
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

The only bad part about huntin' in the snow for me is if it's a wet snow , cause' the way it cakes to the coil, and the mud.
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

Get some automotive silicone spray (the dry type) and spray your coil. heck I use it year round, makes clean up much easier, I also spray where the upper and lower shafts meet, makes it easier to adjust the length...........NGE
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

Couple of years ago I searched a parking lot with 8 inches of snow for a wedding ring some newlyweds lost, with no luck. I figure it's now somewhere along the edge of the lot where they pile up the snow in winter. I still look for it, cause I still have their address. We have a very dry snow up here, so you don't get wet. Diggin is pretty much out of the question until about May. Across the street in a park is where the city piles up all the snow taken off of the streets and that's a productive place to hit when that pile finally melts down in late spring.
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

You know what, I cant take it... :D I got to get out there.Im from florida and I hunt year round down there, this snow aint going to stop me.....or is it... :laughing9: :coffee2:
So I'm guessing just skim across the snow or through it or?? Wonder if the snow creates alot of false signals?
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

nowgittineverything said:
Get some automotive silicone spray (the dry type) and spray your coil. heck I use it year round, makes clean up much easier, I also spray where the upper and lower shafts meet, makes it easier to adjust the length...........NGE
With all due respect, :)
I don't recommend doing this. JMO
 
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

"this snow aint going to stop me.....or is it.."


After about a half hour it might! :D

I suggest Ice fishing......In a shanty.
 

Attachments

  • 6a00d8341bffd953ef0120a879b06c970b-800wi.webp
    6a00d8341bffd953ef0120a879b06c970b-800wi.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 167
Re: MD'ing in the snow?

4-H, Why not? I don't use the greasy type, just the dry stuff, the kind auto painters hate in a shop. When released in the air......goodbye paint job......fisheye city :laughing7:..............NGE
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom